VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OE tires are taking a beating by many people on many fronts. How bad are they? My selling dealer just put brand new ones on the unit I just bought. Figured I would ask those with some real experience
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,155 Posts
You referring to the Dunlop E3s?

They are not as good as the E4s or the 888s, IMHO. I wouldn't not buy a bike because it had them though. My only complaint was in the end of their life they like to slip in the wet a bit on anything painted onto the road.

Reactions: FlNativeJoe

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
OE tires are taking a beating by many people on many fronts. How bad are they? My selling dealer just put brand new ones on the unit I just bought. Figured I would ask those with some real experience
Thanks
I burned mine off without too much of an issue. They are fine on dry pavement and ok if you ride like you have half a brain. My common sense seams to get turned off when the helmet is fastened.

If you ride in the rain I'd start looking for new shoes around 8k. Avon Cobra Chrome for the win in the wet!

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
The answer is it depends. No they’re not bad tires, but yes there are better tires. Some are better in the rain, some are softer sticker better handling tires that don’t last as long, some are harder coumpound, not as sticky, but longer lasting and so on. So the stockers are good all around tires, but a lot of riders find they prefer something else with different options for different riders.

Reactions: 1 MEAN66

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I thought the E3 was replaced by the E4. Didn't they stop production of E3s in 2017/2018? I'm curious to know the mfg date from those.

I bought my XC brand new 2013. Had E3 tires on it. I didn't really have any issues with them and rode them until the rear was bald (about 14k miles). I had the dealer replace them with the same in 2016. I began having grip and cupping issues around 10-12k miles on the second. So I did some research and decided not to continue with E3 and Tried Metzeler ME888. I did these 3 times, 3rd time I wasn't happy with the grip at 8k miles but overall was happy with them and they took me around the country. Now on my first set of Avon Cobra Chrome. 9k miles and still gripping well. I think I was averaging about 11k for the rear with most of the brands and probably 18k on the front.

Reactions: FlNativeJoe

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I’ve toured for many years now and have tried the majority. I’ve pulled them off 2 new bikes with only 9000 on them. One of the worst tires I’ve rode on. But again jmo medium grip suck in the rain ride hard. E4 IMO one of the best out there at this time. Metzler 888 a pretty good tire also a little light in mileage. New cruisetec is getting good reviews also. Lol or do like me I just tried a bunch till I found what I liked best for me. Because we all ride different

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My original Dunlop E3 front tire slipped on me in a dry clean corner in a small town. I was only going about 10 km/h but it was enough to give me a mild heart attack. I didn't go down but I was nervous going into other corners for a while.
When it was time to replace it I went with the same and again, it slipped going into a corner causing the same mild heart attack.
I learned my lesson and went with a different brand after that and all has been fine so far.
I ride to relax, not have heart attacks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought the E3 was replaced by the E4. Didn't they stop production of E3s in 2017/2018? I'm curious to know the mfg date from those.

I bought my XC brand new 2013. Had E3 tires on it. I didn't really have any issues with them and rode them until the rear was bald (about 14k miles). I had the dealer replace them with the same in 2016. I began having grip and cupping issues around 10-12k miles on the second. So I did some research and decided not to continue with E3 and Tried Metzeler ME888. I did these 3 times, 3rd time I wasn't happy with the grip at 8k miles but overall was happy with them and they took me around the country. Now on my first set of Avon Cobra Chrome. 9k miles and still gripping well. I think I was averaging about 11k for the rear with most of the brands and probably 18k on the front.
Thank you for that. I'm getting the impression that they are not the monsters I've read about. Same as anything I guess...happy customers are pretty quiet, you hear the bad more than the good in all things. I'll see how it goes if the snow ever melts and roads get cleaned up a little

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The answer is it depends. No they're not bad tires, but yes there are better tires. Some are better in the rain, some are softer sticker better handling tires that don't last as long, some are harder coumpound, not as sticky, but longer lasting and so on. So the stockers are good all around tires, but a lot of riders find they prefer something else with different options for different riders.
Thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I burned mine off without too much of an issue. They are fine on dry pavement and ok if you ride like you have half a brain. My common sense seams to get turned off when the helmet is fastened.

If you ride in the rain I'd start looking for new shoes around 8k. Avon Cobra Chrome for the win in the wet!
Thank you. I'll keep an eye as usual and hope for decent life and grip

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You referring to the Dunlop E3s?

They are not as good as the E4s or the 888s, IMHO. I wouldn't not buy a bike because it had them though. My only complaint was in the end of their life they like to slip in the wet a bit on anything painted onto the road.
To be honest I'm not sure what they put on as it's still in the showroom until the snow melts and I pick it up. I'll hope for one of the specs mentioned in these posts (E3)

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
E3s, not so good. Long miles, but so so in the rain and downright slippery on tar snakes when it’s hot. The E4s are much better in all situations and seem to be lasting a long time as well. The roads are pretty smooth where I live. I expect to get 18,000 miles out of my front, at
Least 10,000 from the rear.

·
Registered
617 Posts
They may not be bad tires but in my opinion every other tire is better. I had them on my VTX and while they did last they were awful in the wet. I switched to the 880's and they were great. When I got the CCT again they had the E3's on them and they were horrible in the wet, terrible on the tar snakes and average at best everywhere else. I switched to the 888's and have been happy. Full disclosure that I did have an issue with one rear where the sidewall blew out at 120 kph and the dealer was an ahole about it but I went back to the 888's and are still happy with them.

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
Switched to Avon. That’s all I will roll on. Just about all tires are good when it’s dry out. When caught in rain your dealing with a whole different experience. Why not have the best tire for that situation. Avon Cobra / Chrome

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've been riding bikes for 50 years; never had a tire I'd call bad. Some are better in rain, some heat, some cold. But most bad experiences other than a defect are rider error. I may get flamed for that, but It's just like a firearms user calming his gun just went off?!
Seriously? So it has nothing to do with compound, ply, tread design, belt construction or chemical composition of the tire? Just one day I don't ride well and then when the tires are changed I suddenly ride better.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
The E3's were so bad on wet and tar snakes that I swapped them out very early for something that felt...well safer and more stable. It was said that they would last a long time though.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Seriously? So it has nothing to do with compound, ply, tread design, belt construction or chemical composition of the tire? Just one day I don't ride well and then when the tires are changed I suddenly ride better.
Yes, seriously. By your theory we would be seeing bikes scattered across the road at every turn based on bad tires

·
Registered
143 Posts
Have E4's on my 2011.. Better than the E3's no question .. Won't debate this as am sure the Avon's and probably others have a better grip but will also have a shorter life, but for my purposes of riding anymore the E4's do what's needed with good tread life and acceptable handling as well ..

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I ran Avon cobras for a few yrs. of all the tires I’ve tried they stick better then all. I switched only due to I can’t get more then 10g out of them. Which puts me at about 2 sets a season. I tried the E4 to see how they handled and possibly get thru a season on one set of tires. Well I’m pretty impressed so far but don’t have more then 3g on them. Got caught in the rain running across Pennsylvania mountains and they stuck pretty dam good at 70 to 75mph on the interstate.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.