VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Getting the Certificate of Occupancy is a strong sign that they will be opening sooner than later.

I still have questions when and if Randy's will be moving. It seems that if they were moving, they would have done it during the Winter to be up and running for riding season. Yes, the economic climate is not making it the best time to open an upscale bike dealership and if they are borrowing money for the move, as we all know, the banks are not lending that freely to businesses as well as limiting the available funding for financing for the rider.

Also, it's my experience that most businesses play it very close to the vest when expanding or moving to a new location and typically don't make announcements until the ink is dry on the contracts. Many times this is to keep the competition off guard and to let their customers know this is a planned event and an upgrade to the current facilities. Sometimes even deals that appear to be "done" have contingencies that make the deal questionable.

Just like buying or selling a house, you really don't know if the deal is done until you walk away from the closing table with the cash (or Deed) in your pocket.

Maybe I'm off base, but it's just an opinion.

Personally, I see this economic climate as the opportune time for the Factory to be opening Company Owned Dealerships. But that's another topic.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
If not factory dealerships at least factory authorized service centers

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andy said:
Getting the Certificate of Occupancy is a strong sign that they will be opening sooner than later.

I still have questions when and if Randy's will be moving. It seems that if they were moving, they would have done it during the Winter to be up and running for riding season. Yes, the economic climate is not making it the best time to open an upscale bike dealership and if they are borrowing money for the move, as we all know, the banks are not lending that freely to businesses as well as limiting the available funding for financing for the rider.

Also, it's my experience that most businesses play it very close to the vest when expanding or moving to a new location and typically don't make announcements until the ink is dry on the contracts. Many times this is to keep the competition off guard and to let their customers know this is a planned event and an upgrade to the current facilities. Sometimes even deals that appear to be "done" have contingencies that make the deal questionable.

Just like buying or selling a house, you really don't know if the deal is done until you walk away from the closing table with the cash (or Deed) in your pocket.

Maybe I'm off base, but it's just an opinion.

Personally, I see this economic climate as the opportune time for the Factory to be opening Company Owned Dealerships. But that's another topic.
From the "stories" I got from Randy (and who really knows if they were the truth or warm air?) there were the obvious meeting financial requirements, one story involved The SBA for a loan. The last story I heard was they were beginning remodel when a local inspector stopped in to see the "building permit" and alas there was none.
Andy, I have been saying for a while now that (in my opinion) the only way to grow the brand right now is to open factory stores, the building overhead and some employees would be about the only out of pocket expense. Any of the Plaris products would in theory be held in Polaris inventory until sold but at remote "warehouses". Maybe I am wrong but there would be no interest paid on the products assuming that Polaris is in a cash position at this time. These factory dealerships or service centers would have an excellent opportunity to grow a customer base and when the time is right that store could be sold off as a franchise or simply held as a viable dealership.
Years ago there was a (local to me) Corporate owned McDonald's that newfranchisees would train at. They learned by the book so as not to make costly, brand detrimental,mistakes. Seems that in these tough economic times a corporation would want their franchisees to have the best training and business know how at their disposal and ingrained in their heads. I do believe that much of that knowledge is in fact work ethic.
Just my opinion, your results may vary.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I talked to them this morning and they said that although not everything was up on the walls yet and some of the computer stuff wasnt fully ready, they were shooting for as early as tomorrow but for sure Friday and Saturday. Yee ha another location in Northern Ill. for us.
Any more word from Randy's?

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I just talked to NV again and they said that although they havent had their official opening they are letting people in. He said they dont have eveything up on all the shelves yet. He said with the weather being so nice this weekend he didnt want to miss the chance to have people come and see what they were all about.I think thats very smart buisness. I asked when the "Official" opening was and he said that bu this time next week they should be fully functional. Yee ha.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
It looks like Randy's now has some new competition. Typically, having multiple dealers in a market results in better prices and better service. I guess we'll see about this!

With a new dealer that does not have any existing customers to feed their service department, it will be interesting to see if they offer any special service prices to entice current owners to try the new dealership.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Clubford00 said:
I just talked to NV again and they said that although they havent had their official opening they are letting people in. He said they dont have eveything up on all the shelves yet. He said with the weather being so nice this weekend he didnt want to miss the chance to have people come and see what they were all about.I think thats very smart buisness. I asked when the "Official" opening was and he said that bu this time next week they should be fully functional. Yee ha.
I may be able to get out of "work" this afternoon for a bit and ride out there to poke around. I don't know that I will give up Randy's for this closer dealer, even though I had a bit of a bumpy start there they have really gone out of their way for me on a couple of occasions.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I think once they realize the area they are in the off road stuff will get limited and road stuff will start to take over. The really only place to ride off road near them is in the Starved Rock Ottowa area. And im not even sure if that place is still there, its been many years since ive ridden there. At least they are there.
I would suggest that everyone in the area's around us stop in say hellow and tell them what we are into. Word of mouth is the best advertising.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Clubford00 said:
Hey Jim, Did you get out to NV? if you did what did you find?
Never got to leave. did manage to deliver some product in town on the bike though..ultimately I was glad I stayed, a customer called about a waiver of lien soI can get paid for a job we did this past Monday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.