Not so good vibrations... | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Not so good vibrations...

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Blackened, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Blackened

Blackened Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Vegas 8-ball
    I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with my Vegas. At 15 mph I get this subtle vibration. Hangs around until about 20 and then is good until I get around 30 MPH. This started happening after I put a new set of Metzeler 888's on there.

Here is the little bit of testing I've done:

1. Checked belt tension and alignment
    2. Checked for looseness in the wheel bearings.
    3. Checked for Steering stem play
    4. Pulled in clutch and let the bike coast down - Still happened
    5. Turned off motor and coasted down, still happened.

The only thing I can think of is that the shop used tire beads instead of weights which just doesn't make any sense to me as I've used tire beads plenty of times before.

I'm probably going to take the wheels back to the shop that mounted them to test for balance but as I mentioned that shouldn't be an issue with tire beads.

I feel like I've covered all the things it could possible be... Anything else I might be missing here?

2. 53canuck

53canuck Well-Known Member

2011 KP
    It shouldn't be an issue with the tire beads if they weigh enough to balance out any differences in the wheel and tire. If you're using them to do the whole balance job then if too little is added there will never be a proper balance. Too, if there was moisture or any of the manufacturers rubber release agent still on the tire you may have some of the beads stuck to the inside of it. That's only a guess though.

I too use glass beads however I may do it a bit different than you. Going by the bead manufacturer description I should be putting in a 2 ounce bag which will be good enough to do the total balancing requirements of a motorcycle tire. I like to go a bit beyond that so it's not what I do. I get the tire guys to balance the wheel/tire as they normally do with their weights. It's always been very good and never a concern. I do however add about 1/2 of the beads after the proper balance when I get home. I do that initially to address any minor needs of a more finely balanced tire at the time but primarily to maintain that perfect balance in the future as the tire wears from normal use and the potential of the balance changing a bit. I find it works great and with 95% of my riding done at highway speeds I've never had a tire balance concern.

By the way, are you feeling the vibration in your hands or in your a$$? That will give you a clue as to where to look.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Blackened

2013 Vegas 8-ball
    Wow, that's a great question. I'm not 100% sure. I want to say it's both but I'll confirm next time I ride. If it's the beads it kind of annoys me as I didn't ask for them to be used. There were beads in there prior to having these tires installed (In my Shinko's which were fine and rode smooth as glass) and they just assumed I wanted them at a (get this...) $30 per tire up-charge.

$60. :doubt:

For $12 of beads and the tech not having to put the wheel on the balancer.

When I got to the shop and discovered this I told them I wasn't paying for it as they did it without asking prior to the service. The guy tried to negotiate with me on it and I told him to pull the tires, remove the beads and then put weights on.

The charge was removed from my bill.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    Check to make sure the tires were mounted in the correct rotation.

• Like Like x 1
  5. uk_john

uk_john Member

Cross Country 2012
    That is a feature of the 888 tyre tread pattern I had them on my XC for a while and went to Commander 2 when I needed new tyres, a friend had them on his Harley and had the same issue.

I used to feel the slight wobble mostly when I was slowing down around the 15mph mark, when you are accelerating you ride straight through this speed range and I did not notice it.

I hope this helps no more 888 for me, the 880 was ok.

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Metzler ? Meh !

7. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    @Blackened it looks like you've done a very thorough job on this. I'm anxious to hear how it works out after the bead removal. But as been posted above, the low speed wobble may just be an issue with these tires or the model of tires. All the best to you. I suspect there's nothing wrong with your bike. It's just these tires.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    I’m going with tires.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    I used CounterAct® tire balancing beads on my Metzler 888's. 2oz per tire as recommended. No vibration at all but got strange scalloping. Photo taken at about 10,000 miles. A sweeping right turn and I could feel the bumping. Replaced with Avon Cobra Chromes. Using the same balancing beads because I don't think they caused this.

Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 3.04.11 PM.png

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. luislou

luislou Active Member

Vic vegas
    What’s your tire pressure metz seem to run better higher psi. I’ve been using beads for a long time make sure the correct amount was used hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blackened

2013 Vegas 8-ball
    I'll have to check the pressure on it again as I don't recall what it was. Any recommendations there? I'd imagine I just set it up for stock recommended pressure.

I'm going to call to see if I can have the balance checked with the beads in it. I keep going back to it being a balance issue as the vibration is most noticeable at doubling increments (it shows at higher speeds15, 30, 60). I've noticed this in cars as well with a wheel out of balance. .

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blackened

2013 Vegas 8-ball
    Holy smokes, that had better not be the case. They are a pretty reputable shop so Ihope they wouldn't miss something like that!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    I have had brand new tires that were bad from go. One rear and one front both at different change intervals. Both were Dunlop’s. I did replace an Avon front at 7k. It was my fault. I didn’t keep up with pressure and my shocks / forks were in need of service.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory cct & 06 katana
    If pressure, direction & if they didn’t forget to tighten an axle bolt not it than it’s a balance issue. Like Slick said, new tires can be bad

15. uk_john

uk_john Member

Cross Country 2012
    The pressure for Metzlers tyres need to be on the higher side, given my experience with the 888 on my XC it made no difference to the wobble.

• Useful Useful x 1