VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Of all the vintage/throw back bikes, I like Norton the best. Like to see them continue being built.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
I think we might be looking at the future of the American brands here too. I suspect Norton will eventually be nothing more than a rebadged version of an Asian manufactured bike.

·
Registered
651 Posts
First bike I ever owned was a brand new 750 Commado that I paid 1525 Canadian dollars for in 1971. Loved it but liked my 74 850 even more. They bumped the displacement up to 828 cc from 750 to deal with lower compression ratio to accommodate no lead gas. Same HP but no faster. Made a little more torque and was smoother. Love that V4 rocket they got out now. Surprised anyone picked them up in today's world with the way motorcycle sales are now and in the projected future.

·
Registered
838 Posts
This from a Kawasaki forum I frequent.

TVS is an Indian company and has bought the Norton name only, not the liabilities of the defunct company.
All the people that got stiffed by the owner of Norton including the pension funds of his workers and people who had paid in full to order a bike, or those who put deposits on bikes are SOL.

·
Registered
651 Posts
This from a Kawasaki forum I frequent.

TVS is an Indian company and has bought the Norton name only, not the liabilities of the defunct company.
All the people that got stiffed by the owner of Norton including the pension funds of his workers and people who had paid in full to order a bike, or those who put deposits on bikes are SOL.
Ya, the picture is starting to become clearer now. Probably pump out models similar to Royal Enfield if any at all. What a rotten SOB to beat those folks out of their pensions especially when many of them were so proud to re establish that storied name with so much history. Hell of a scar for that name to drag around now. The wasted potential when you look at the lineup is a crying shame as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I too am a norton fan , I see levon106 bought his norton for 1525. Can dollars . My buddy and I bought identical 69 Norton’s in Toronto for the same price. I still have mine , all origional and his . We had a lot of fun with them in our younger years . Racing each other down the 401 hwy , riding with a lot of other British bike owners , triumph , bsa , norton , Honda 750/4 and even some sportsters. Being stupid , drinking and driving , chased by the patrol cars . yikes , and we are still here.
my friend and I still are best friends , even though I left there 40 years ago . Still both ride bikes . I don’t really care for the new nortons but like the nostalgia of the old ones .
I have collected too many bikes over the years , I buy some just to look at because they look nice.
Last few years I mostly ride my vision premium tour. Bought it on a whim but sure do like it . I have ridden friends dressed up Harley’s and would not trade my vision for any I rode. (I have 4 Harley’s that I never ride )
I have let 3 harley buddies ride my vision and all 3 now ride visions and have parked their Harley’s.
i think there are some really good condition victory’s for sale at decent prices .
the fact that they don’t make them anymore does not bother me , now I have another collector item . I can still buy any part I need for my nortons , my Honda 750’s , my bsa ,
I do still ride my 89 sportster . All good bikes and I will not get rid of the vision . Too comfortable and great cruiser in the desert at 90 mph .

Attachments

·
Registered
946 Posts
I was looking at Nortons in the early seventies and they were selling for 1700 in Ottawa so I bought a 72 H2 Kawasaki for 1500 because I didn't have much money.I sold the Kawasaki a few years ago and had a Hi Rider for quite a while.I bought an 01 Buell Cyclone new which I still have.It was the reason I sold the Norton,I really liked it and still do.It is comfortable,handles good,stops good,easy on gas,and has lots of character.The old Commandos are one of the best looking bikes ever made,much better looking than the newer ones.They are a bit of a pile of junk but are nice to own and are easy to get parts for.I will probably get another one some day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought my 850 Norton in 1973. Paid 2005. The five dollars was for a blue tank. I still have it. Just rebuilt it
about four years ago. Runs like it's new. Looks fantastic! Still find myself preferring riding my '13 CR.
But that Norton is still wickedly quick!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I too am a norton fan , I see levon106 bought his norton for 1525. Can dollars . My buddy and I bought identical 69 Norton's in Toronto for the same price. I still have mine , all origional and his . We had a lot of fun with them in our younger years . Racing each other down the 401 hwy , riding with a lot of other British bike owners , triumph , bsa , norton , Honda 750/4 and even some sportsters. Being stupid , drinking and driving , chased by the patrol cars . yikes , and we are still here.
my friend and I still are best friends , even though I left there 40 years ago . Still both ride bikes . I don't really care for the new nortons but like the nostalgia of the old ones .
I have collected too many bikes over the years , I buy some just to look at because they look nice.
Last few years I mostly ride my vision premium tour. Bought it on a whim but sure do like it . I have ridden friends dressed up Harley's and would not trade my vision for any I rode. (I have 4 Harley's that I never ride )
I have let 3 harley buddies ride my vision and all 3 now ride visions and have parked their Harley's.
i think there are some really good condition victory's for sale at decent prices .
the fact that they don't make them anymore does not bother me , now I have another collector item . I can still buy any part I need for my nortons , my Honda 750's , my bsa ,
I do still ride my 89 sportster . All good bikes and I will not get rid of the vision . Too comfortable and great cruiser in the desert at 90 mph .
Love the "S" model you have pictured . For some reason those high swept pipes made an incredible sound when decelerating in second gear. One of the nicest sounding bikes ever. Have a set of S pipes for my 74 850 roadster. Anxious to get them on.

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
I would have liked to seen Triumph pick them up to keep it British. Just another one of those marquee brand names that never gets proper financial backing.
I had that thought as well. And then I thought "Sh!t, Triumph isn't even British anymore. All there sh!t is made in Thailand now." PASS. I'll keep my British-made Trophy, but no more Triumph for me moving forward.

As for Norton, well - meh. A very storied brand that that scumbag Stewey Garner ran into the dust. TVS is just buying pieces of what once was a great company. They cannot even build the Atlas range because Garner sold the 961 engine to the damned Chinese. So that kinda sucks for them. I think TVS might bring a little respectability back to the brand, but it means little to me. The things in their range are bikes that don't really appeal to me anyway except for the V4R and that is so ridiculously high in price it is a non-starter.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I bought my 850 Norton in 1973. Paid 2005. The five dollars was for a blue tank. I still have it. Just rebuilt it
about four years ago. Runs like it's new. Looks fantastic! Still find myself preferring riding my '13 CR.
But that Norton is still wickedly quick!
Ya they held their own performance wise for such a neanderthal engine design partly cause they were a 100 lbs lighter than the first Honda 750 4s . The higher compression combat engine was a steady 12 second quarter miler but they did not live. Wow, remember when a 12 second quarter time was considered fast? Still find it amazing how The Hogslayer owned the top fuel class for about 5 years straight and it hardly ever broke and was rarely torn down. Won every major meet multiple times. It was kinda like the Muhammad Ali of Top fuel. Half the crowd came just to witness it chalking up another win while the other half hated it and came in hopes finally seeing it defeated which didn't happen often. Still remember watching it beat Russ Collins triple engine Honda. Harley's R&D dept had a sign up on the wall that read "Get the Hogslayer".

Still remember overfilling the primary case with oil making the clutch slip horribly turning my Commando into a real dog. An old timer approached me and said " Never put oil in the primary!! Take the clutch plates out . Rinse them off in alcohol, give them a light sanding with 400 grit paper, rinse em off again and let dry, reinstall and adjust. Then add just enough F type automatic transmission fluid in to wet the primary chain and she won't slip again. " Was never so happy to find out how right the old guy was after kicking my buddy's ass on his new Honda 4 several times in succession avenging two previous losses to him.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I was looking at Nortons in the early seventies and they were selling for 1700 in Ottawa so I bought a 72 H2 Kawasaki for 1500 because I didn't have much money.I sold the Kawasaki a few years ago and had a Hi Rider for quite a while.I bought an 01 Buell Cyclone new which I still have.It was the reason I sold the Norton,I really liked it and still do.It is comfortable,handles good,stops good,easy on gas,and has lots of character.The old Commandos are one of the best looking bikes ever made,much better looking than the newer ones.They are a bit of a pile of junk but are nice to own and are easy to get parts for.I will probably get another one some day.
Nortons were the only bike that could hang with my 60 CH back in the 60's and my hot rod Buell S1 gives the kids a fit on their sportbikes. Keep on Keepin' on!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Nortons were the only bikes that could hang with my CH back in the 60's, have a maxxed out 97 Buell S1 that amazes the kids on their sport bikes. "But wait, that was an old man on a........ what's a Buell? "1/8th mile the mostly stock Vic is a shocker for them too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.