VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive searched but cant seem to find a good answer to my Dilemma......

ive got a '17 magnum and i swapped out the front speakers to a set of Polk M5252 5.25 inch components running the factory head unit and amp.

Speakers sound far better than the stockers but when i get up to a certain volume they cut out somewhat like the amp is clipping. Stationary in the shop i can get to about 17 to 18 on the volume before this happens and highway speeds its only about 8 or 9 due to auto volume control.

Is the factory amp not up to the job? if so, is there and amp out there that will work with my factory head unit with minimal fuss? Im not changing my head unit so thats one part thats out of the question

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
WELL DON'T TURN IT UP SO HIGH, with the auto volume activated. I set mine at 12 and I can here it fine at 80mph. If you want it loud at all speeds turn off the auto volume, the stock amp is good for the stock speakers on the magnum, if you want more your gonna have to spend more $

Reactions: FUGITV

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
:worthless:

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I had your same opinion about not changing the head unit. Now I think I should have done it from the very beginning! I’m in the process of changing mine out now. It is functional, but I haven’t tuned it or put my bike back together yet. Even in it current state, it is so much better than the stock system. I’ll post a link to my original set up in a couple minutes. It did really well until the stock head unit started acting up. If you don’t change yours out, check out the link I post. It will help you out regardless which amp or speakers you go with.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WELL DON'T TURN IT UP SO HIGH, with the auto volume activated. I set mine at 12 and I can here it fine at 80mph. If you want it loud at all speeds turn off the auto volume, the stock amp is good for the stock speakers on the magnum, if you want more your gonna have to spend more $
Guess when this latest blizzard blows by I will turn off the auto volume and see what it does. when i ride i only have the volume on 7 or 8 , any higher and it clips. sitting still in the shop at 18 or 19 its loud as sh*^ and i dont think it gets that loud at 7 or 8 with the auto on.

speakers are the same impedance so i guess im confused as to why im having the issue

im a stupid pipefitter and farmer, not a tech guru so i have dumb questions on the topic.........lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had your same opinion about not changing the head unit. Now I think I should have done it from the very beginning! I'm in the process of changing mine out now. It is functional, but I haven't tuned it or put my bike back together yet. Even in it current state, it is so much better than the stock system. I'll post a link to my original set up in a couple minutes. It did really well until the stock head unit started acting up. If you don't change yours out, check out the link I post. It will help you out regardless which amp or speakers you go with.
Thats a serious install! bet that sounds great.

I however am a cheap bastard and i dont want to put that much money in a stereo honestly. I just figured some better speakers than stock would be ok since the magnums came with an amp already.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Thats a serious install! bet that sounds great.

I however am a cheap bastard and i dont want to put that much money in a stereo honestly. I just figured some better speakers than stock would be ok since the magnums came with an amp already.
There are much cheaper set ups than mine that are probably just as good. The main thing is getting a good amp and use the pre-outs at the rear of your bike. Speaker level output has a really noisy signal. The stock speaker run thru a crossover. If you deleted it, that might be part of the issue.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You had cheap stock speakers which required very little wattage to get loud. Now you have some good polls which in turn need much more wattage to get as loud as before. But if what your saying when the BIke is sitting still you can turn up the volume to 18 and it sounds fine. But riding it only goes up to 8 before clipping them some other factor is at play than the amp.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yeah it's called auto volume

·
Registered
359 Posts
also make sure the gain on the amp isnt set too high. if it is set to high the amp will start clipping depending on what it was expecting. also auto volume off.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have done the same thing. 522 polks. I have nothing to add about riding volume yet. But the OP should really plan out the build of the System.

I have and am paying attention to the ohms of the speakers. Right now the factory amp is a 2 ohm amp pushing to the polks that are 4 ohm. So the factory amp is having a hard time giving enough power to the speakers. I will have to add a fosgate amp / i also have a trunk to power.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Hmmmmm
""turn off the auto volume""
How would someone do that ?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Hmmmmm
""turn off the auto volume""
How would someone do that ?
It is in the Audio settings of the stereo. You push and hold one of the buttons to get into the menu. I don't remember which one tho. There are directions in the owners manual.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
It is in the Audio settings of the stereo. You push and hold one of the buttons to get into the menu. I don't remember which one tho. There are directions in the owners manual.
Never knew that .... I should read the manual hey ?

Edit, so the saying goes out the window, if you red one you've red them all, coz i know EVERYTHING about my Jack-Hammer ... but nothing about my CCT
Smile

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So i called the guys at VTwin audio today.

Basically what we are calling the 'amp' on a magnum really isnt an amp at all. Basically they said its the same concept of power per channel like you'd see in a car stereo IE: 50x4 or 50x2.....etc....

I ordered a Fosgate PBR300x2 amp along with their amp wiring kit and mount. They said i do NOT need to wire into the rear speaker plug under the seat, just use the speaker leads coming from the factory stereo. Sounds pretty simple

Since the upgraded speakers like more RMS power than what the stereo puts out is where they dont stay happy with each other.

Should have all my stuff by the end of the week and get it thrown in there and ill see what happens. stay tuned.......

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I’ll be interested to hear how it turns out. At one point, I tried connecting the speaker output to my Arc amp. I had to keep the gains turned all the way down and it sounded like $h!t. Maybe you will have better luck with the Rockford amp. There is a reason they use pre-outs for an amp tho. You want quality output amplified, not the noise from the stock head unit. If it doesn’t work out, shoot me a PM. I can help you find the pre-out wires in the factory harness so you can connect to them in the fairing vs running wires from the back of the bike like the V-Twin pre-out harness does.

·
Registered
359 Posts
So i called the guys at VTwin audio today.

Basically what we are calling the 'amp' on a magnum really isnt an amp at all. Basically they said its the same concept of power per channel like you'd see in a car stereo IE: 50x4 or 50x2.....etc....

I ordered a Fosgate PBR300x2 amp along with their amp wiring kit and mount. They said i do NOT need to wire into the rear speaker plug under the seat, just use the speaker leads coming from the factory stereo. Sounds pretty simple

Since the upgraded speakers like more RMS power than what the stereo puts out is where they dont stay happy with each other.

Should have all my stuff by the end of the week and get it thrown in there and ill see what happens. stay tuned.......
this is how i did mine but i used the 4channel version of the rockford fosgate amp because i had trunk speakers to also power. Keep your gain low and your bass and treble also at 0 when making your initial adjustments. Also put in a set of ear plugs and check the volume you can achieve before buttoning it all back up. i used the witch doctors amp mount first. and just picked up this one to replace it with so it has a more sturdy mount:
VTVAM, Victory X/C amplifier mount

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So i got everything installed late last night after i had enough corn planting for the day. Mounted the amp right up front but thats where my crossovers were mounted i needed to find somewhere to put them. ended up mounting them inside the speaker enclosure. This was the only space large enough for them. Needless to say this thing is loud as shi* !! I actually put my earmuffs on while tuning it........and im half deaf........
I think my speaker issues are gone

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.