VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can tell by the title I am very happy with this set up.
I purchased 2 of these helmets along with the Nolan Bluetooth 2 systems. The Bluetooth 2 offers full stereo sound.

First the helmet; this helmet can be worn 6 different ways, my present choice is without the chin bar and face shield, but using the peak. The helmet is very light compared to the flip up N103 I also have. It's as comfortable as the Arai Classic I tossed at the end of last year and every bit as quiet.
Today I road in 28 deg C temps (82.5 F), although I didn't feel cooling breezes, my head never got hot. This helmet expels hot air through a rear spoiler like vent.
It also has a drop down sun screen that just covers the eyes, and it's safety rated for flying debris.

The Ncom system took me about a 1/2 hour to install. The instructions were horribly written, and the photos were useless. I would suggest Nolan to hire someone with English as a first language to correct the poor grammar and questionable use of some words. I haven't installed the second system in my wife's helmet, as she's not ready to ride yet. ( that gives me more time to play )
My set up is with a Garmin Zumo 550 and an Apple iPhone 3Gs. Pairing all 3 was easy and quick, no guessing as the 3 systems did it all themselves. The iPhone uses the GPS to talk to the Ncom, as you can only hook up one Bluetooth item while also using the intercom.
I did a test hook up to the iPhone without going through the Zumo and the system worked great. I was able to listen to music, make calls, switch songs, and voice dial. Although twice while using the voice dialling option, the Ncom dropped the connection right after the number was dialled, Perhaps a firmware update is required. I did not have any issues dialling the numbers directly from the phone.
Testing with the Zumo with iPhone, I called home and my wife said I was very clear, this while going down the highway at 100 Kph and with an exposed mike as I was using the helmet in the 3/4 configuration. Voice command sound quality was good as well.

Don't have any knowledge on battery life as there is no way to judge the remaining charge, my research shows 6~8 hrs depending on use. But the system goes into standby when the batteries are weak, so to save power for emergency use if needed.

The whole set up for 2 helmets isn't cheap, and I know Scala and Blueant offer systems with better bluetooth range than the limited 10 meters advertised by Nolan. But I like the way everything fits and looks professional rather than added on.
2 year warranty too.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I was looking at one of those too. When I went to get fitted I found the faceguard piece was really close to my mouth. Everybody head is different. Other than that I liked it.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ZZedmonds said:
I was looking at one of those too. When I went to get fitted I found the faceguard piece was really close to my mouth. Everybody head is different. Other than that I liked it.
Same with me, very close, but not touching. I did push against the chin bar and it deflected to the point it actually touched my chin, so although the helmet is DOT rated, I'm not sure what good the chinbar would be in a faceplant situation.

My reason for buying this helmet is the quick install of the faceshield and chinbar for when it rains. I have found the N103 is suffocating behind a full fairing bike like the Vision, even with the shield cracked open.
Also I have a bad habit of smoking while riding, and having a sip of water while going down the road, so a 3/4 allows me to do that, but gives me better hearing protection from the wind buffetting around me than the half helmet is did wear.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I got my N43 (Non-trilogy) yesterday. I have an N102 modular, so didn't feel the need for another one, and at $179, this one was a decent deal. Buffeting that I had with the N42 is gone. As I suspected, it was the exterior sunshade that was causing most of it.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Just don't understand why they don't make it with a flip up chinbar like my Shark Evoline ll.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I just purchased the N43 with the Nolan Ncom setup. Had it a few hours and returned it. The sound from the speakers was okay but not great and I was having a problem using the auto answering feature. I went back to the Helmet Shop in Daytona and they gave me one of their helmets with the Scala installed. We paired it up and I was sold. Road home very happy with tunes in my head instead of little voices. Two thumbs up for the guys at the Helmet Shop, I really thought I was going to have a problem returning the N-Com system.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
While in Daytona I also bought a Nolan N43 Trilogy but I bought a U-Clear blue tooth phone stereo interBike com for half the Nolan price and the system has no boom mike but rather two mikes one built into each tiny speaker works perfect sound is better than Victories radio's . So now I have a great sound system for my 8 ball and well Nolan makes comfortable stylish helmets Viva Italia

·
Registered
54 Posts
For those of you with Nolan N43 Trilogy helmets, how is the fit based on the size of your head? I am considering one of these helmets, and I have a strong oval shaped head with a 24 inch circumference (62-63 cm)... Looking at an XXL for sizing, but wondering if the helmet will fit shape of my head? Thanks. d2

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Desert_Dave said:
For those of you with Nolan N43 Trilogy helmets, how is the fit based on the size of your head? I am considering one of these helmets, and I have a strong oval shaped head with a 24 inch circumference (62-63 cm)... Looking at an XXL for sizing, but wondering if the helmet will fit shape of my head? Thanks. d2
Helmets are a pain in the butt to size. I have a graveyard full of them in my garage. All I can recommend is going to your local dealer and try them on. This is probably the one item I dont recommend buying online no matter what the savings is. Just to personal. Also, I tried on two or the Nolans in XL and they felt different. One put more pressure on my cheeks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
True that DSJR! D2

·
Registered
355 Posts
I use the Nolan N43 and I find that it is a very comfortable helmet. I use a medium in most helmets but with the N43 I had to get a large for a perfect fit.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
dsjr said:
Helmets are a pain in the butt to size. I have a graveyard full of them in my garage. All I can recommend is going to your local dealer and try them on. This is probably the one item I dont recommend buying online no matter what the savings is. Just to personal. Also, I tried on two or the Nolans in XL and they felt different. One put more pressure on my cheeks.
To add to Don's comments, which I agree with 100%, a lot of your local dealers will usually either price match some of the online stores, or they will try and get close. For the service they provide it is worth a couple bucks to have them help you find the right helmet. Buying a helmet online to save a couple bucks will cost you more money than you will save....and you'll be much happier with your purchase.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.