VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the new Nolan N103 helmet for cold weather, (spring and fall) riding and have had it for a week now so I thought I would share my experience.
First here is the professional review:

Now they did say how heavy it was, what they didn't state is that your neck size will increase from a 16" to a 22" after 1 week of riding! Yes that's exaggeration, but my neck feels like it been pumping weights
On the first ride, I was feeling neck pain after 20 minutes, each subsequent ride has been better, but just walking around the bike looking down, I really feel the extra weight of the helmet pulling on the back of my neck. I've worn nothing but 1/2 or 3/4 helmets for the past 22 yrs, so probably I'm just not accustomed to the extra weight

The helmet is quiet, but I'm behind a full fairing bike (Vision). The fit and finish is great and the pop down sun shield works more smoothly than the one on my wife's Schuberth C1. The lining is very comfortable, but I need to purchase the thinner cheek pads which are available. I do have a problem with the front snaps of the cheek pads always popping open when I don or remove the helmet. I've emailed Nolan about it, but they haven't replied as yet.

I don't feel much air with both vents open, this probably has to do with the full fairing, but this is a cold weather helmet, I'll be going back to a shorty or 3/4 for the summer.

The Pin anti fog shield works as advertised, I wish I could say the same for my eyeglasses. Speaking of which slide into the helmet onto my ears without problem, these are thick armed plastic frame eyeglass

I'm holding back buying the Nolan Com system, ( I did have the Scala Rider Q2, but sent it back as it didn't fit this helmet or the Arai Classic or the Schuberth C1), I'm thinking of buying the new Nolan N43 for both the wife and buying the N-com system for them instead. I wasn't aware of the N43 until after I purchased the N103. I think the N43 being a 6 way helmet is a better way to go.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Hey Candu,

Thanks for the input. If it's too heavy for you, then it's definitely not in the cards for me!

The N43 looks very interesting. It appears to have some similar characteristics of this Givi model:

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very similar, but lacking the Com system, did you pick up on the statement of the padding being a little thin?
I like the concept of these helmets, very similar to the Roof Boxer V8 that I believe started the craze.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Candubrain said:
Very similar, but lacking the Com system, did you pick up on the statement of the padding being a little thin?
I like the concept of these helmets, very similar to the Roof Boxer V8 that I believe started the craze.
Yes, that "thin padding" thing isn't a big selling point for me. Personally, I'd enjoy finding one of these modular helmets with the comfort of an Arai. I haven't found a dealer yet that carries these in stock so that I can try them before I buy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the Nolan n102 and, for me, it's the most comfortable helmet I've owned, the others being Scorpion, Bell and one other brand I can't remember now. Heavy? Yes. But I train kickboxing and I don't mind the neck workout; strong neck muscles protect against knockouts. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Givi x.01 is only available in the US( and I believe Canada) as the CAN-AM ST1.

While Givi sells the helmet as a package in Europe and the UK. BRP has apparently chosen to sell each of the components separately, which greatly increases the cost of ownership. The list price for the base helmet is $366.

One feature is the unusual sizing available in this helmet . In addition to xs, s,m,l and xl this lid is also available in sizes s/m and m/l which appear to be "in between" sizes.

Down side, it's only available in Black, Bright Blue or Silver (color matched to the can-am Spyder).

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

Too heavy?
I wore it up to 22 hours a day on my 16 day trip.
It's the best helmet I've ever had.
I really like the sunvisor. I haven'tneeded sun glasses since I bought this helmet.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I recently got the Nolan 102. I like the fact you can keep the visor slightly open. My Schuberth C-1 does not allow that option at speeds.

I pulled out the chin thing on the 102 right off the get go but still find it fogs a bit with vents open unless the face shield is cracked open a tad.

I can also feel the difference on head buffeting with the amount the shield is open on the XC!

I have the Scala Rider on my Schuberth but haven't tried to fit it on the Nolan. I like the Scala for my ZUMO so I don't have to monitor my GPS ~it tells me instead!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well call me pencil neck, I'll be putting away my Nolan N43 Trilogy soon and pulling out the N103 for the cooler weather. For me it was heavy the first few rides, but like everything you eventually get use to it.

Fishwitch, I highly recommend the Nolan Ncom system for your Nolan helmet

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm seriously considering an N43 purchase after watching the review. I'm keeping the 102 for winter, of course.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jagular said:
I'm seriously considering an N43 purchase after watching the review. I'm keeping the 102 for winter, of course.
My wife and I both wear one, it's great being able to quickly put on the shield when the rain starts.
I've never felt the cooling breezes, but my head has never felt hot in it either.
Good product, looks a little big when compared to other brands. But I'm to that point as long as I'm warm and dry, I really don't care how I look. LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
GREAT REVIEW, just ordered a N103 to wear with my newly purchased 2008 Vision. Looking forward to some great riding experiences! Haven't had a bike for about 8 years; missed it.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I have the Shark Evoline modular and love it, it's the only helmet you can wear as a full or 3/4 by merely flipping up the chinbar. It's heavy but you don't notice it as it's so well balanced. You can ride with the visor cracked if you wish and the internal sun visor is the nuts.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just saw this again in the latest threads; I ended up buying the N43 Outlaw in black. Great, great helmet. Love it. I've been wearing it instead of the N102, even in the colder weather.

·
Registered
870 Posts

I wanted to buy a shark evoline for the features but my head shape suited the 102 nolan. We use a cheap BT interphone inter com which was $100 on ebay and for the last 2 years it has been good. I would like to know how much better the ncom would be as they are four times the price. They would have to be excellent to justify the price difference. Probably no way to do comparison testing for us, but magazine testers could.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
aussiejack said:
I wanted to buy a shark evoline for the features but my head shape suited the 102 nolan. We use a cheap BT interphone inter com which was $100 on ebay and for the last 2 years it has been good. I would like to know how much better the ncom would be as they are four times the price. They would have to be excellent to justify the price difference. Probably no way to do comparison testing for us, but magazine testers could.
I like the nCom as it is a sleek fit. Battery lasts about 6 hrs between charges. Depends on how much the wife yaks No problem. But range is limited

·
Banned
1,297 Posts

was there any consideration given towards the N104?

·
Registered
27 Posts

The only way I found to get a lighter Modular Helmet is to go with the Shoei.
Expensive but it has been well worth it for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.