VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edmonton, Alberta. A noise by-law has just been passed and if your bike is over 92 dB it will cost you $250. They have just bought 8 sound meters to measure this. So this by-law is for motorbikes only, not any other vehicles.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/technology/Edmonton+poised+nail+noisy+bikers/3107788/story.html
So from what I understand from some people is that if you slowly roll on your throttle your dB readings will not go above 92 for most (and I stress most) aftermarket pipes. I don't think cops can tell you how to rev your engine, so as long as you don't blip it it should be fine. Is this true?
Not only that but how long before it gets challenged as it is discriminating against motorcyclists.
Do any other towns, cities, counties, states or provinces have these noise by-laws.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

We have similar laws in Florida.
Maximum allowable A-weighted sound levels based on measurements taken at a distance of 50 feet from center line of travel (Sec. 316.293): 1) Manufactured before 1/1/79--82dBA (35mph or less); 86dBA (over 35mph) 2)Manufactured after 1/1/79--78dBA(35mph or less); 82dBA(over 35mph).

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Shawn, you are starting to think like me, I will get you converted sooner or later...
I will say I just read the article you referenced (bored76) and that is a pretty easy law to comply with. 92db's at an idle is no problem for any bike that hasnt been heavily modified and 96db @2000rpm is not bad either. I know on my old Vegas with the swepts and S&S at 3000rpm's I was at 87db's...
The thing that would concern me is why is the Police Department spending $3,000.00 each for a db meter? Professional meters only cost about $300.00 with a logger???

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Fredericksburg, Texas has a similar law. Needless to say that their restaurant, shops and hotels have shown a slight decrease in revenue due to it.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Alton IL has recently posted singes on many of the well traveled "Biker" roads to keep the noise level down or you will be fined.
Personally I would like to see the police crack down on the dumb a##'s thatinsist on texting while they drive.

·
Registered
423 Posts
There are some people who equate noise with coolness. They are the problem. They have to blip their throttle every few seconds at a stop light to get attention. That really needs to stop. On bike nights I can hear bikes until 2 AM as they go by. It sounds great to me, but I have to get up at 3:30 so I could do without it. I know people who don't have bikes really must hate it. Unfortunately, Washington's finest don't seem to be awake at the time of the morning. I hate to see laws that tell people every move they can or can't make, but it seems some people are too stupid to go through life without them.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I'm not against the law, I'm against them just picking on motorbikes. I know they say they have yet to finish the testing on cars and trucks, so why not wait till that testing is done and crack down on everyone at once.
I run stock and don't want louder for myself, but do want throatier and i'll have to take my chances as to wether or not they will comply.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I'm not against it but it should apply to all vehicles, could be a discrimination/constitutional problem there? It sounds reasonable as long as they don't make you "ring it out" while testing. Years ago they tested our dirt bikes at the local park and the officer would make us rev it to the moon while doing the test!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
bored76 said:
I run stock and don't want louder for myself, but do want throatier and i'll have to take my chances as to wether or not they will comply.
I would not worry about it, at the levels your law is written around I would say even a cam'd out Jackpot with an zoomie exhaust would be in compliance. At 2000 rpm's it will be mild, they really come alive (and get loud) at WOT.
Also in Florida we have similar laws for cars and trucks and I am in favor of noise restrictions. I used to live on the Loop in Ormond Beach and the noise was ridiculus. If more people used some common sense me would not need the laws but there are always the a-holes that need to hit 5000 rpms when they go through a neighborhood to be cool.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I agree with the noise levels applying to cars, trucks, bikes and whatever else is out there. Kids and their tuner cars keep people awake too. It's too bad people can't use their heads and back off, but I know that isn't going to happen in all cases.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Poor Edmonton... They might as well just strap them on to all the red light cameras! Getting to be a tough city to be a motorist in!!! Big Brother is alive and well...lol... All in the name of revenue!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Another good reason to add to my fast growing list of why I can't move away fast enough from the armpit of Canada... Too many knee-jerk politicians at Edmonton City Hall.

~Bill

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So just watching the news and this noise levelis to be measured at an idle.Most bikes they "unscientifically" measured were 102 to 107 dB. A lawn mower was 85dB and a city bus was 95dB. So if stock busses can't meet the standard, why are bikes limited to 92dB.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

Question,
What standard are these people using to come up with this Bu__ Sh__, who trains the people that stop you and do this test, if it is going to cost me money I want to see the quilfication of the tester and also see the standard he is using to test my bike.
As an inspector, I have to have certification and training in the standards I am inspection the parts or in this case it would be a motorcycle.
There are requirements for distance for sound testing and such, and I will bet my last dollar that most that will be doing these test don't know if there ass was bored, punched or eat out by the rats
Regards

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

bored76 said:
So just watching the news and this noise levelis to be measured at an idle.Most bikes they "unscientifically" measured were 102 to 107 dB. A lawn mower was 85dB and a city bus was 95dB. So if stock busses can't meet the standard, why are bikes limited to 92dB.
Okay, considering I have actually measured the db's of a bike, there are not many stock or aftermarket exhaust that are louder then a lawn mower... My bike a WOT is less then 107 with a swept exhaust?

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
advntrus said:
Wow....I thought I would actually catch some crap for that post.....lol. I'm just happy to be bringing Don around to my way of thinking.
Shawn
No actually you are coming over to the Libertarian Party of thinking... If it does not offend somebody elses rights it is not wrong.... But guys passing my house at WOT conflict with my rights.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Iusually have a concern when laws are seemingly written to target a certain segment or group. It smacks of prejudice, and often in these instances the end justifies the means. While I think there are merits to both sides of the argument, I find the folks at the root of these witch hunts are often ill informed, self interestedand have access to the means to impose their personal agendas on others. Hopefully, the authorities will use this law as a "tool" to get at the problem folks, and not the masses who enjoy a little rumble. Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of a bylaw enforcement officer, buthopefully he/she will use some common sense anddiscretion.Personally, I like somerumble as it gives the bike presence and adds to the mystique.That's my two cents worth.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Sundog,
I dont know about other areas of the Country or Canada, but we do have noise polution laws in Florida for almost all vehicles. I think the only vehicles exempt are heavy equipment.
Don

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.