VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I did a search for the symptoms I'm seeing but couldn't find any matches.

I have a 2014 CCT and in the past, it would get hot and shutdown on me. I'd give it some time and it would start right up and off I would go. Well, it happened again last weekend except, after it cooled down, it still wouldn't start. Needless to say, I was in for a grueling 12 hour experience from there. I won't go into detail!

I thought (hoped) it was my Power Commander so I hooked it up to my laptop and sent the mapping over to the moto. Didn't help. I pulled the spark plug wires and checked for spark. I wasn't getting any.

So now I'm thinking about my next steps. The power commander handles fuel management so I'm thinking pulling that would be wasting my time. I believe my moto has two coil packs and the odds of both going out seems slim. I didn't notice the engine light going on so I doubt there are any codes to go by (I'm still going to check). Any suggestions or similar experiences would be helpful.

Thank you, Henry

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Henry, I hope you get it figured out but just a word of advice.

The shutting off when hot problem should not have been ignored that is an indication that I would take seriously.
It very well could be shutting down when hot due to an extreme lean condition & that means future engine damage.
When you get this figured out & the bike is running get it to a tuner & get that map checked.

I live in Florida & we get some brutal hot days here & my XCT has never missed a beat.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Check the ground on the Power Commander. This sounds like other issues that ended up being the PCV ground. When it would shut down, would it loose all electrical, or just shut off? If it lost electrical, I'd recommend replacing the 40 amp breaker if you haven't done so already.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hi all. I did a search for the symptoms I'm seeing but couldn't find any matches.

I have a 2014 CCT and in the past, it would get hot and shutdown on me. I'd give it some time and it would start right up and off I would go. Well, it happened again last weekend except, after it cooled down, it still wouldn't start. Needless to say, I was in for a grueling 12 hour experience from there. I won't go into detail!

I thought (hoped) it was my Power Commander so I hooked it up to my laptop and sent the mapping over to the moto. Didn't help. I pulled the spark plug wires and checked for spark. I wasn't getting any.

So now I'm thinking about my next steps. The power commander handles fuel management so I'm thinking pulling that would be wasting my time. I believe my moto has two coil packs and the odds of both going out seems slim. I didn't notice the engine light going on so I doubt there are any codes to go by (I'm still going to check). Any suggestions or similar experiences would be helpful.

Thank you, Henry
Your power commander does more than just provide fuel. You can advance timing with it as well so it does affect spark.
I suggest removing the PC entirely first.
If it doesn't work then, I would look at the crank position sensor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your updates guys. I will try to pull the power commander after I check its ground. See if that helps.
I agree about it getting hot Trout, it's not good for it and really doesn't make my ride fun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the additional information on testing the starter. The video didn't go into how to test the red button. I'm going to test to make sure I'm getting power to the the coil to see if what is the hold up. I'm going to do this after I pull the power commander.

I checked for any codes by turning it off and on and checking the 4th iteration. I wasn't sure I was going to see anything as my engine light hasn't been on.

Thanks for the input.

Henry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all, I pulled the power commander yesterday. I disconnected all the lines and plugged the originals in. It had no effect on the spark. I bought an autotunner but I'll install that after I figure out why I'm not getting spark. I re-installed the PC and still no spark. Talking with a victory technition, they suggested that I start checking to make sure that I'm getting power to my ignition coil. I originally thought there were two but after pulling it apart some, I see there is only one.

I verified the power commander program I put in. I put one in for Victory upgraded exhaust and the performance air filter. I didn't have the air filter installed before but figured it wouldn't make much of a difference. I have since installed the new one.

Wish me luck, Henry

·
Registered
592 Posts
Check the ground on the Power Commander. This sounds like other issues that ended up being the PCV ground. When it would shut down, would it loose all electrical, or just shut off? If it lost electrical, I'd recommend replacing the 40 amp breaker if you haven't done so already.
Tree1979 gave you the most likely explanation...

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
is the bike in gear or are the wires on the clutch safety switch
how did you find out the coil has power.
did you do all the checks that Kevinx said in his video.
Have you unplug any stuff that you shouldn't

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those are nice schematics. I'm definitely going to be using those.
Vision_nut - The moto wasn't in gear (N). Interesting you should mention the clutch safety switch. The last time it died, I had also snapped the clutch cable. I was riding it for several miles without the clutch working so it wasn't something that happened coincidentally. I believe it won't crank at all if the clutch isn't engaged.
I haven't check the coil yet. Going to do that tonight with the schematics above.
Finally, before it stopped working, I didn't pull anything.
In the mail, I'm getting a new clutch cable, the power commander autotune, handle bars, and new spark plug wires. Hopefully I'll get it running soon.

Thanks guys for your input.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.