VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help, I put a new rear tire on my 09 kingpin and after reassembly I have no rear brakes. I have bled them and installed new pads, that helped a little, but it still won't stop like it did before I took it apart. Any ideas on what I have done wrong?

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
You have a little air in the brake line. I had the same trouble with a front caliper. I ended resolving the problem by doing a reverse flush by pushing brake fluid up through the caliper into the reservoir. Make sure you take most the fluid out of the reservoir before you do this or may have a mess of brake fluid on painted surfaces that will bubble up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Try tying the brake pedal down overnight.
If you have air in the line, it will help to get the bubbles to travel up the line into the rear MC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the advise, I have tried bleeding both ways and no luck. I found a post from 2011, he said he bent his caliper bracket. Everything he described were the same issues Im having. Found a bracket and caliper for $50 that has only 1500 miles on it, bought it. Should know by next Saturday if that will fix it. Here in Indy we got 9 inches of snow today, I won't be riding till next week now!

·
Registered
441 Posts
First question and I guess this has already been answered but when did it start happening? Seems you are saying after the tire change....If it was working fine prior to that it has be something that was done during the tire change. I had a hell of a time getting the rear wheel back on my XC. The brake caliper made it hard to get in place but somehow I figured it out. I hope if I ever have to do that again it will be easier the second time! Did you disconnect the caliper from the fluid line during install? Why do you feel the caliper bracket is bent, was there difficulty during the install that causes you to think this? Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
One other thing crossed my mind on this. Sometimes a caliper piston can get hung up. They do need to be cleaned with a bristle brush (not wire) and brake cleaner or fluid from time to time. I don't think that's the issue in this case but it is something to be aware of for those who do a search for info in the future.

Also, and this may sound dumb, but make sure both pads are in the caliper. If one fell out and got kicked under a bench or something; the piston won't have anything to push against on one side or the other.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
First question and I guess this has already been answered but when did it start happening? Seems you are saying after the tire change....If it was working fine prior to that it has be something that was done during the tire change. I had a hell of a time getting the rear wheel back on my XC. The brake caliper made it hard to get in place but somehow I figured it out. I hope if I ever have to do that again it will be easier the second time! Did you disconnect the caliper from the fluid line during install? Why do you feel the caliper bracket is bent, was there difficulty during the install that causes you to think this? Hope you get it figured out.
Yah, it's hard to line-up the caliper (pads), caliper bracket, frame slot, and rotor.
So, I usually line-up the caliper bracket and frame slot then, cable tie it in-place.
While installing the rear tire I line-up the rotor to the brake pads and slowly position the tire in-place. After the rear axle's in-place I cut the cable ties off.
This procedure prevents forcing the rotor in-place and harming the caliper bracket or rotor (if that's what's happened here).

·
Registered
879 Posts
When I do a rear tire change I take the caliper off first. When putting the wheel back on it makes it a lot easier to install the axle and don't have to worry about bending the caliper bracket or brake rotor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sunday, I took everything back apart, cleaned some of the parts, put it all back together and I now have brakes. Part of my issue is I also ride an Yamaha FJR 1300, the brakes on it are great. I get use to riding it then switch bikes and have to readjust. Thank you everybody for your help and input, its nice to know I have a place to go for Questions and help without going to a dealer!

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Sunday, I took everything back apart, cleaned some of the parts, put it all back together and I now have brakes. Part of my issue is I also ride an Yamaha FJR 1300, the brakes on it are great. I get use to riding it then switch bikes and have to readjust. Thank you everybody for your help and input, its nice to know I have a place to go for Questions and help without going to a dealer!
Wait-- was I right?!? Just oil or grease? :)

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
At some point I must have put it together wrong the first time.
LOL! Don't ever admit you were wrong it's always "I had my dumb a$$ brother in law helping me........."
Glad you got it fixed.
I've learned more in my life by fking things up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.