VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have power to everything but fuel pump and headlight. Help. All relays and fuses good in fuse box. Found severely corroded plug off ignition switch. Snipped wires and connected direct. Still same problem. Horn works. Blinkers all work. Audible click with key turn to fuse box. Aftermarket Dakota speedometer has no power either.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Are you new to the bike?
Did this happen all at once?
Have you made any changes that could have caused this?
Got caught in a rain storm, hit a bump etc...

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Sounds like it's in accessory position

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had bike for several years now. Water could have been an issue, just don't know where. Did it a few days ago and I thought I killed the battery so out it in charge and it started and ride fine. Couple days later problem reacurred, battery is fine and fully charged via volt meter.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Volt meter is a poor test. You can have volts but no amps or not enough amps. Testing bike batteries is not always reliable.

I would replace the battery simply because a charged up battery solved the problem for a period of time.

The battery is the source & with electrical I always start at the source.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Volt meter is a poor test. You can have volts but no amps or not enough amps. Testing bike batteries is not always reliable.

I would replace the battery simply because a charged up battery solved the problem for a period of time.

The battery is the source & with electrical I always start at the source.
Sorry, I should have been clear, Amps good also. Battery tender also shows good and full charge and for kicks I even tried to jump it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Water is very likely the culprit, just don't know what it got into to cause this,particular problem. Not sure what to look for in this case. Shouldn't have to do with kill switch. Not relays or fuses. Removed only bad plug I could find. I do have a good bit of aftermarket stuff, but everything has been on the bike a while. Only recent event I can think to contribute would be the water.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
OK just a little education. Batteries are a funny thing & a battery tender is not a battery tester it only shows what is on the "surface".
It takes a load tester to get more of the story but even that is not conclusive with bike batteries.

If the battery has a bad cell or cells it may pass volt tests & I have even seen car batts pass a load test BUT it still won't start with a jump.
A really bad battery is the weak link between a good battery & the electrical system.

SO if you charged your battery & it solved the problem even temporarily it shows one of two things:
1) Bad Battery
2) Really bad or corroded connection that the newly charged battery now has enuf oomph to overcome.

Want to do another test?
Take your battery out of the bike.
Now using a known good battery either install in the bike or using heavy gauge wire connect it to the wires your battery would normally connect to. The 2nd option is if you want to use a car battery or a lawn mower battery or any battery that won't fit your bike.
If bike works correctly you have the first step: replace the battery.
If there is a bad connection in time it will show up.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Water is very likely the culprit, just don't know what it got into to cause this,particular problem. Not sure what to look for in this case. Shouldn't have to do with kill switch. Not relays or fuses. Removed only bad plug I could find. I do have a good bit of aftermarket stuff, but everything has been on the bike a while. Only recent event I can think to contribute would be the water.
Check the circuit breaker that is by the battery?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
You could just jump across it with a screwdriver or make a heavy jump wire.
Or un hook all the wires on one side & put them on all on one terminal.

If everything works then go to NAPA & get a 40 amp breaker, about $10.00

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You could just jump across it with a screwdriver or make a heavy jump wire.
Or un hook all the wires on one side & put them on all on one terminal.

If everything works then go to NAPA & get a 40 amp breaker, about $10.00
Meter shows 13 off both poles. Jumping with screwdriver does nothing

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Unplug the headlight bulb, maybe a short there. Could also disconnect the rear wire harness. Replace all fuses anyway, how did you check the relays?

• Winner
Reactions: Lovemyvegas

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unplug the headlight bulb, maybe a short there. Could also disconnect the rear wire harness. Replace all fuses anyway, how did you check the relays?
Unpluged and checked every plug and connection I can find on the bike. All look good. Check headlight buld and connectors. Swapped relays out with others to check them. Have not replaced all fuses yet.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
At this point I would have a wiring schematic & look for something that is common to the fuel pump & head light like a ground point or a harness connector.

You mentioned water earlier.
Caught in rainstorm?
Washed bike?
Rode thru a puddle?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At this point I would have a wiring schematic & look for something that is common to the fuel pump & head light like a ground point or a harness connector.

You mentioned water earlier.
Caught in rainstorm?
Washed bike?
Rode thru a puddle?
Oil sprayed all down right side, so thorough washing.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Oil from your engine?
Gets more interesting.
Problems started after washing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeo, the oil was from the dip stick after coming loose. Caught it very quickly, lost about half a quart, but that's a lot of damn oil when trying to clean off a bike. Washed bike and didn't ride for a couple days. Did oil and filter change and took short ride with no issues. Next start is when it all started.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.