VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i went out for a nice long ride tonight. Started out in the sunshine and ended about a half hour ago 9:30pm here in Chicago. After blacking out the dash and the instument bezel (except for rings,see pix) there was no glare on the dash at all.
I was worried being gloss instead of flat i would still have glare, Nope all gone.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Thanks, it looks great! I've wanted to do this too. What is the procedure for removing the guage bezel and dash panel. Do you mind sharing that. Looks like the guage bezel pulls off? Secured by clips or screws. I do see the screws that hold the dash in place under the rear panel infront of the seat. Thanks,
SP

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Just take a plastic piece (I used and old extension cord hanger (the cheep things you can buy at the hardware store), cut off a leg and used the table grinder to taper the end) stick it towards the bottom and pry it and should pop right off. I purchased a block one from Vic for like 30 bucks.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Club, how did you paint the panel? Vic wants like 230 dollars for theirs. Thanks

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
bubba said:
Club, how did you paint the panel? Vic wants like 230 dollars for theirs. Thanks
I think Dean left this morning for family vaca. He may be checking in later, don't know if he has a laptop or internet access. So that he gets your request try a pm to him.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bezel for the gauges simply pulls straight off. I literally njust grabbed the thing with my fingers, two thumbs in the gas side, fingertips in the speedo and pull.
It reveals the bolts in the front for the center console. Then open the glove box on top and grab the rear panel (the one that touches the seat) and give that a gentle tug and it comes off, revealing the rest of the bolts to get the center console off. (they are actually larger star bolts except for one small one on the left side of the console.
After all the bolts are off you need to carefully flip it over and styarty removing the plugs. pay attention to the single pole plugs for the switches on the top. or they will not work. dont forget to pull the radio antenna out , it takes a pretty good pull. I suggest grabbing it as close to the radio as posible so you dont yank the wire out of the end plug.
As Jim said im in Phoenix now headed for Appache Junction for some family obligations and i will continue this post tonight.
Weather is great about 9:20 partly overcast and about 85 headed for 100 today so starting early. CYA later

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi again from sunny Arizona,
Basically painting the parts is like painting anything.
I started out by sanding then prep cleaner, sanding again with 320 grit wet dry then prep again spraying 4 coats of gloss black then flash and 3 coats of clear. Baked it at 150 degrees for 40 min, tada.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Im trying to begin this process, and cant get the gauge bezel off.
I was told to pull it back, horizontally toward the rear of the bike, beginning on one end, say near the fuel gauge. But it's not coming off! I'm concerned about breaking it.
What's the trick?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
It's easy to just use a plastic piece to get it under the lower right side. It will pop off. I originally used a plastic piece of the cheap extension cord hanger that you can get at wally world or K Mart. Cut off one of the rails and tapered it with my bench grinder. Went to Harbor Freight the other day and they sell a three piece plastic prying kit (made for autos). Really cheap, maybe 5 bucks that will work great for all the plastic thats on these bikes.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
yep

·
Registered
73 Posts

Thanks. Used a plastic Tire spoon from my motox days. Worked great! Started at the ends and worked by way toward center. Did the full black out of bezel, dash and rear trim below the tail light. Looks lower!
Love the whole look. Not so fragmented and busy now.
Thanks for the guidance.
SP

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Whinecooler said:
Thanks. Used a plastic Tire spoon from my motox days. Worked great! Started at the ends and worked by way toward center. Did the full black out of bezel, dash and rear trim below the tail light. Looks lower!
Love the whole look. Not so fragmented and busy now.
Thanks for the guidance.
SP
Pictures, Please!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.