No-Mar Tire Changer, Avon Cobra Tires & Centramatic Balancer's | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

No-Mar Tire Changer, Avon Cobra Tires & Centramatic Balancer's

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by RedVic, Sep 25, 2014.

1. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

Just used my No-Mar tire changer for the first time today on the Cross Country Tour. What a nice tire changer No-Mar makes, I have the Jr. Pro model for Cruisers.

I would recommend removing the rear brake rotor for clearance for the tire spoons. The rear tires are the hardest to do because of the short stiff sidewall, but if you just follow the video for the Goldwing on the No-Mar web site you will have no problems. Take it slow and easy and the tire will go right on with little fuss.

The front tire is a piece of cake. My last set of Avon Cobra tires had 14,030 miles on them and I could have went another 1,000 miles and they would have been even with the wear bars.

When the dealer installed the first set of Avon Cobra's I had them use Dyna Beads. I bought s set of Centramatic balancers and installed them on the front rim but held off on the rear until I changed tires again. I will say that the Dyna Beads I think fought with the Centramatic balancer's on the front wheel at around 30 to 35 miles per hour when you were slowing down. With just the Centramatic balancer's on the front without the Dyna Beads the ride is smooth as silk now at all speeds. I took the bike for a ride after I completed the tire change this evening and the roads were still wet from the earlier rain storm that came through when I was working on changing the tires and the Avon Cobras handled the wet road without any drama the same as my last set of Avon Cobra's. I made sure to take it easy due to the tires being new but they performed great.

I did find that the Dyna Beads are a pain in the rear end when removing the old tire from the rim as they will spill out onto the floor.

I highly recommend the No-Mar tire changer if you enjoy working on your own bike.

2. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Great write up, thank you. What do you have to lift the CCT to get the wheels off the ground?

3. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

I use a J&S Jack. Worked fine, bike was stable the entire time. I would prefer to have a bike table in the future for tire changes.

4. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

I have 160 miles on the Avon Cobra's now and once again they do not fail to impress with their ride quality, wet and dry traction are excellent and the Centramatic wheel balancer's just make the ride so smooth. The bike tracks so smooth through corners.

The great thing about the centramatic balancers is the tires are balanced on day one when they are installed and as the tires wear they remained balanced until the day you take them off the bike to replace them. The best part no more having to balance the replacement tires because the centramatic balancer's are bolted to the rim and ready to go with the new tires.

If you are not happy with the Dunlop E3 tires that come on the Big Victory's you might want to try a set of the Avon Cobra's and if you want tire balancing to be a thing of the past I highly recommend a set of Centramatic wheel balancer's, your tires will maintain optimum balance for the life of the tire and you will never have to pay for another tire balance again. No beads to spill, no sticky goop to clean up off the rim and once the centramatic's are installed that is the last you will have to deal with them for the life of the bike.

5. vision_nut

vision_nut Moderator Moderator

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    vision 08
    Am not upset yet. I read where Cobras sticks like glue and wears like cotton candy.
    My Metzler ME 880 went 17 thousand. Pulled it off it was at the wear bar.
    Cobra better go that far

6. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

Found out a nice extra, where I live garbage pick up includes up to two passenger car size tires per week so I did not have to pay extra to dispose of my old tires, they went with the regular garbage pick up.

Those of you who change your own tires might want to check you local garbage regulations, we have Waste Pro as the contracted company were I live.