VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi to everybody
I’m on Holidays and suddenly, after yesterday’s Algarve trip, my dipped beam doesn’t light. My bulbs doesn’t light. Both went off at the same time. It’s curious as high beam works ok with both bulbs. The two Position Lights work also ok.
Where should I start looking, as it’s illegal to drive in Spain without dipped beam lights.
Can it be any fuse? We’re are they on my ‘2010 VV? If the bulbs are the problem, any hint for changing al least one. I tried in the past to change one, but was unable due to the almost impossible access to the back of my headlight. Heeeeelllpppp! :(
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Its try flipping the switch (mine needed this) a couple of times.

Fuses are under the windshield. Put the windshield all the way up , grab the upper panel ( boomerang) near the mirrors and pull up to release , tilt forward and slide back (careful of the wire) now unplug the antenna. There are 2 access panels on the dash at the base of the windshield held in with 2 pushpins , pull up on the center to unlock the pin then remove the covers. The fuse boxes are now accessible.

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
You guys are amazing. Great way to help.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Time for me to expand my knowledge: What's a 'dipped' beam? How does that compare to a normal headlight? Is it that the tip of the bulb is literally dipped into a masking of some sort, or is it a lower power light, etc?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Time for me to expand my knowledge: What's a 'dipped' beam? How does that compare to a normal headlight? Is it that the tip of the bulb is literally dipped into a masking of some sort, or is it a lower power light, etc?
I believe he's referring to the Cyclops light (circle in Dave's picture) below&between the headlights.

·
Super Moderator
26,155 Posts
I believe he's referring to the Cyclops light (circle in Dave's picture) below&between the headlights.
Yall are overthinking. It's his low beam.

I wonder it the Cyclops light could work in a pinch.

·
Super Moderator
26,155 Posts
You might be on to something there VVB?

Yall should be Y'all , shouldn't it?

Ya know since we're working on clarifying translations and all:angel4:
I prefer yall as yall and not y'all. If you see me spell it y'all it is my phone making that selection.....as most of my strange words that pop up are.

That was much easier to type on my computer. I would have been battling my phone to get it the way I wanted.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Either way y'll… it's the weirdest set-up for lighting control I've seen.
The key switch enables a Headlight Power relay which powers the low beam through the high/low beam switch. But, also runs power to the right low beam light through a Headlight Control relay.

When the headlight beam selection switch's enabled it powers the left-side directly and enables the Headlight Control relay to power the left high beam light. So, if yer switch fails it ALL fails. But if the Headlight Control relay fails only the left-side fails.

By fail I mean relay contact weld or burn open. If gerherberger has NO low beam it could be: the Headlight Power relay has failed (either coil or contacts), the key switch has failed open, the Main Breaker's tripped (unlikely 'cuz he continues to have power throughout the other circuits), the high/low beam switch has failed, or the headlight fuse has opened.

When this happened to me, years ago when the Secondary Lights fuse blew, it was the first indication that my R/R was beginning to fail.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Problem Solved: You won't believe it, but the problem was that my two bulbs burned off at the same time. I checked the regulator, battery a.s.o. and everything works ok. It has been the easiest and cheapest solution to my problem. By the way. Here in Europe, we don't have the Cycloped light operative, as it's illegal on European Roads. I meant the normal beam.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.