VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my cruise control on my 2016 CCT will not engage, It will light up when I turn on but not set a speed, Also Heated grips are not working. are both of these connected to a fuse and if so where is it?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I'm not sure if they are on the same fuse or not, but the Service manual will help you out. Free download in the link below.

MediaFire

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
In that manual there is a procedure to test everything in the cruise circuit. Couple quick things to look at, right side along the frame beneath the tank there are 2 spade connectors attached to one of the cables. You can disconnect one or both and see if it engages: if so, the cable switch isn't working, may need to jiggle it or check the ends to make sure they are in the proper location, clean the connectors, apply a little dielectric grease, make sure they are seated properly. Also behind the right cheese wedge you can find the end of that cable. It's got a plastic holder that keeps it in place on the bracket. Mine had fallen out at one time and would not engage. I took a photo on 8-7-17 I think but can't seem to find it now, but it'll be obvious. Finally, check to make sure your brake isn't activated, it won't turn on if your brakes are on. You are waiting 3-4 seconds after switching it on I suspect. Some other things to consider: clutch switch, gear indicator shows correct gear, ABS operates properly, speed is accurate. If any of these are not working properly, may point to another issue.

Reactions: lou8700

·
Registered
21 Posts
HEY PDX,
i'M having same problem, I've run the test as per the manual and its pointing me toward the sensors. I've subsequently disconnected the throttle sensors (2 single wire plugs under r/s of tank) but still NG, my problem is I dont know where the brake sensors are? Anything regarding their location would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Front brake switch is on the handle near and beneath the brake lever pivot, a small black micro-switch. The rear brake switch is inside the rear master cylinder plunger somewhere, I'm not sure exactly where, but inside and I think unserviceable. Do you have tail light with no brakes applied and brake light with either the front, the rear or both brakes applied? Or do you have brake light on all the time? Disconnecting the 2 terminals under the tank disables the throttle push cancel function of the cruise. If that switch is bad or constantly closed then it won't allow the cruise to activate, so by disconnecting one or both, it basically bypasses that switch. (make sure the end of that cable and black cable housing are connected behind the right side cheese wedge) If that doesn't solve the problem, then it's not that switch. You can also unplug the brake light switches for both front and rear and test. You'll have to physically press the on/off or engage the clutch to cancel the cruise if your brake switches are disabled and it works.

Also, just remembered, if you have a brake flasher or trailer isolator installed, it might be the culprit too. Maybe disconnect the rear tail light assembly from the main harness and do a test run, but keep in mind you will have no lights so somebody you know to follow you would be a good idea. Is it safe to assume your gear indicator shows proper gear, your tach and speedo show accurate-ish and you are above 25mph? Is the ABS indicator lit or unlit when above 12mph (I'm not sure this would matter but it might)?

When you hit the on/off of the CC you should see a red LED near the switch and NO change on the dash other than a possibly very quick flash of the green indicator. After a few seconds, press and hold the set button for at least 1 second and the green cruise light on the dash should turn on. If you see the green light come on as soon as you press the button and stay on, flash or turn off after a couple of moments, something is still not right.

What has been done/changed since it worked last time?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the reply,
I just recently acquired this Vision from a dealer, knowing the cruise control didnt work. I'm unable to contact previous owner. There is no brake flasher or trailer isolator installed, all tail lights work as they should, I've made throttle cable free play adjustments and attempted "Lash Learn" . One problem I found upon conducting the Lash Learn procedure is the Cruise indicator display never turns off.. Additionally, when running cruise control diagnostics , it states the possible problem as "Front Brake switch, rear brake switch or throttle switch is closed. I also have a 2012 CCT and have never had a problem with cruise control. Since I have disconnected the throttle switches I figured it would have to be one of the two remaining brake switches (hopefully) . I didnt know the whereabouts of the micro switch till now, but now I'll be taking that apart, thank you.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Yeah, I had a similar issue. It ended up being that when I was running wires for the driving lights and zip tying the cables, I tightened one too much and it was squeezing the throttle cable with the switch not allowing it to open and preventing the cruise from engaging. I learned a lot from this particular mistake. So maybe that cable is bound. Wouldn't hurt to make sure all of the throttle cables are able to move freely if you can.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thx PDX,
I will definitely undo the zip ties and see if that helps, that would be easiest at this point.
Thx again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just bought a 2011 XC. The green lighting the speedo will flash one time when turning the cruise on and won't set. Ive tried cleaning connections, disconnecting the throttle cable connectors. Read about the lash and learn procedure and tried that too but nothing's worked.
Any help for a newbie would be much appreciated. Had a 2010 and never had a problem with the cc.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I just bought a 2011 XC. The green lighting the speedo will flash one time when turning the cruise on and won't set. Ive tried cleaning connections, disconnecting the throttle cable connectors. Read about the lash and learn procedure and tried that too but nothing's worked.
Any help for a newbie would be much appreciated. Had a 2010 and never had a problem with the cc.
Do you have any aftermarket brake lights attached?
If you do, disconnect them and try the cruise.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I dont see any and brake lights work normally when pressing had or pushing foot brake.
I had to ask as people who install Sabertooth lights or trailer hitch wiring or something attached to the main brake signal will usually have a cruise that no longer works.
Did you try the diagnostics for the cruise control? I made a video here to help you.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Check the cable barrel end behind the right cheese wedge too, if it comes on and flashes once then off, could be the end came out of the throttle body or came unclipped from the bracket.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
nah, should be fairly loose. Also check to make sure the zip ties on the right side of the frame in front of the tank aren't tight, pinching the cables and if you have forged bars, make sure the top covers aren't pinching the cables as well. If you disconnect one of the connectors on the cable under right side of tank, does it stay on? If so, the switch in the cable is stuck closed, could try to work it free from the throttle body side maybe. Or leave it disconnected and cancel cruise with on/off button, clutch or brake.

·
Registered
36 Posts
nah, should be fairly loose. Also check to make sure the zip ties on the right side of the frame in front of the tank aren't tight, pinching the cables and if you have forged bars, make sure the top covers aren't pinching the cables as well. If you disconnect one of the connectors on the cable under right side of tank, does it stay on? If so, the switch in the cable is stuck closed, could try to work it free from the throttle body side maybe. Or leave it disconnected and cancel cruise with on/off button, clutch or brake.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.