No cats with stock mufflers? | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

No cats with stock mufflers?

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by Gigamortis, Apr 19, 2016.

1. PaiN

PaiN Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Vic Cross Country (Red on Black)
    I'm really not sure what you're disagreeing with me over, I have none with what you stated. So, we can stop any argument right here.
    I spoke with my dyno tuner a few weeks ago and he said based on removing the cats and adding Torques he does not feel I'd need a retune, with how my bike is running I'd have to agree.
    So what I'm saying is that for those who wish to remove their cats, there are solutions available to negate the power loss issue.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Squatch

Squatch Well-Known Member

2013 CCT Boardwalk Blue
    Who is your tuner?

3. DaveO_VB

DaveO_VB New Member

CXT
    I don't know about everyone else but throwing $300+ to get my bike on a dyno is not something I want to do every time I change an air filter or a plug

• Like Like x 1
  4. Trout

Trout Well-Known Member

2013 XCT, 1989 Guzzi Mille GT, 2001 Guzzi Jackal, 2013 Guzzi Griso
    Don't have to with minor changes, only if you do major like open exhaust etc. I have 2013 XCT and ride all year round from low 20's to Sunny Florida 110 degrees & 100% humidity & don't have the heat probs others have had. Only mods: Hi Flo air filter, timing wheel, disconnected O2's & it has never been on a dyno.

Every bike is different & will react differently to the same changes & that's why there is so much "discussion" here with different opinions on the same topics.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Currentman

Currentman New Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    Apples to oranges.... yours is a cammed bike...BIG difference in exhaust pulse, exhaust systems are built for the cam, so changing the cam will completely change they way the bike breathes, which would lead me to think that is why your change in torque was so noticeable. Your tuner may be great, but I would say that if he comes to a final conclusion based on the results of a single bike, then his methodology is seriously flawed.

We all know that not every bike is the same, even from the factory different components may be sourced from several vendors, a given fuel injector may have a 3-5 ohm difference from the next one off the line, etc..., so what holds true for one bike may be different for another.. we also have different elevations above sea level, varied fuel blends across the country, and owners who also may use additives, and then of course the mods, and all the variations they entail.....

in short, there are no definitive answers... which is the true value of this board, each person sharing THEIR experience with their bike, and inspiring others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Squatch

2013 CCT Boardwalk Blue
    Seriously Flawed?!? Kyle has tuned a couple of bikes, ( read hundreds) and is one of the most competent and innovative individuals I know. To call his methodology Flawed I don't think so. But as with all forums everyone is allow their opinion. And there is a saying about opinions.

My bike has the stock head pipes, back bone and heads. Only changes are Cams, slip on pipes and timing wheel. From there the bike was tuned to run with all the changes. It is obvious to many that there is a lot of potential in these engines and a competent mechanic and tuner can bring out the best in ones ride.

Stock the bike would not get out of it own way. 60% Increase in HP and Torque, yep the methodology must be seriously flawed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lostintexas

Lostintexas Well-Known Member

Cross Country Tour (RIP)
    You'll get lots of chest thumping on this one, but here is a couple of cents worth.
    Leave the cats alone. Victory spent a lot of time and effort to make them a benefit. Stock cans are a lot better than most will admit as well, they just don't make a lot of noise.
    You want cooler on a X bike? Get a tune. It will negate the lean condition the EPA requires the factory to use, good for the engine or not. The EPA doesn't care, and they often make things worse in the emissions, but that is another rant.
    A fuel tuner will do a lot of good things for the bike. Cam it, put on different mufflers if you want (do your research), a non restrictive air filter, and timing wheel if you like. But leave the pipes alone, you will lose performance.
    You don't have to believe any of this, from me or the regular forum members. Kevin X, and The Vic Shop are around pretty regular along with another, sorry to both of you, I don't remember his name, but they will tell you much the same, they just know why.

Good Luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. PaiN

PaiN Well-Known Member

2013 Vic Cross Country (Red on Black)
    Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't watching this thread.
    Kyle at KMC did the initial tuning but I've since switched over to a local shop called Dyno Solutions here in CT.

9. SPEEDFREAK

SPEEDFREAK Well-Known Member

cross country tour 2014
    I ran into a guy on a CCT and he had the leather heat shield's for the thy area and he said it made all the difference with the heat issues...I rode in 95 weather with mine as long as I was moving it was fine but when I stopped it got hot, but so did my other brand of VTwin it just the nature of the beast...there are some solutions to it on here just pick the one you like...I am going to try the leather heat shield cuz when it is cold I want the heat and may be why I can ride in colder weather than most other people and be comfy...

10. Squatch

2013 CCT Boardwalk Blue
    tune it and add cams you will not regret it.

11. catchdmc2

catchdmc2 Member

2012 Cross Country
    Here's an idea how about just remove the hard lowers ?for the summerthere's a guy on here that has a dino sheet with the cats in and the cats out there's a big difference between the two personally I'd leave the cats in

12. Squatch

2013 CCT Boardwalk Blue
    dino sheet

Cats noCats.jpg

13. Squatch

2013 CCT Boardwalk Blue
    Try a Lloydz Timing wheel set to +4, 5, or 6. She'll run better too.

14. SPEEDFREAK

SPEEDFREAK Well-Known Member

cross country tour 2014
    I have everything except cam's and that is coming June 18 at a cam party with Kevinx..timing wheel set at 5 because 6 used too much gas, 5 feels the same but I got my gas mileage back into the 40's