Newbie | Page 5 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Discussion in 'Victory Hammer' started by skipbarberman, Jan 7, 2021.

1. skipbarberman

skipbarberman Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Hammer
    Dunlop E3 250/40R18 - 21.6 lbs
    Mezeler Cruisetec 260/40R18 - 18.8 lbs

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. skipbarberman

Hammer
    New forks from Polaris came today. As Rylan stated, SMOKIN' Deal for $418 to my door......(2) new complete KYBs with an axle to convert from the Marzocchi front end, all brand new. I'd cost me $175 to rebuild the Marzocchi's.

Now, if I could ONLY find out the difference between the two.......

• Like Like x 1
  3. skipbarberman

Hammer
    Well, spent as much time as I could the last two days on the Hammer. Getting close.....can't wait to get the front end done, working my way forward. Forks, new bearings, brakes, and the Metzeler Cruisetecs. Had the rear all buttoned up and never taped the weights down. Spun the rear wheel Saturday morning, and the weights dropped off the wheel.:mad-26: Spent the rest of the morning breaking it down, re-balancing and mounting everything back up. Going thru the bike top to bottom. All electrical connectors cleaned, dielectric grease, took everything off, waxed the whole frame.....bike was a mess from original owner.....left outside in OK dust, then rode in the rain and it caked everywhere. Then some idiot thought to buff it and not clean off all the compound.....just pressure wash it. The rear suspension bushings had no grease in them. Oh, and clay with minerals is conductive.

Added a bunch of stuff; New LED tail light, Ness chrome adjusters and new Progressive shock......haven't ridden yet, but already see a TREMENDOUS difference. Hope to finish before this weekend, but with travel for work, not likely. Will post pics......new Drag Specialties touring seat is awesome. Can't wait to get this thing finished. It'll be near showroom when I'm done.

• Like Like x 1
  4. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Forget the weights and go with beads. I did on both of my bikes. Numerous times I found weights on the garage floor so who knows how many I threw and never realized. The beads stay put so it's one less thing for me to worry about.

5. skipbarberman

Hammer
    Yeah.....beads aren't all they are cracked up to be. I do realize I just kicked a hornets nest......

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    Bzzzzz Bzzzzzz. I’ve used both, beads & weights, pros & cons with both, just depends on the application & how aggressive your right hand gets

7. skipbarberman

Hammer
    I'm a fat old racing guy......balance my wheels on a stand with adhesive weights (more than I care to/can remember) and use duct tape - of various colors - to secure them. Old habits die hard. Just got lazy......paid the price.
    upload_2021-5-10_11-44-31.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Just got lazy? Seems like you are doing the most unlazy method to balance them and then worked double hard because of it.

I do it lazy. I take it to a guy. Lol!

Another thing I like about beads is I have no ugly weights hanging around. No issues as of yet and I can't feel the difference on the road so I'll be sticking with them for now. Like the lowers on my Visions I held out a long time but when I finally decided to do it found I should have done it sooner.

9. skipbarberman

Hammer
    OK - Update.....finished the bike today and went for a couple quick rips. This thing is AWESOME. These Metzelers are awesome....all the way to the edge today. The Progressive shock is a HUGE improvement, and the seat is everything it was cracked up to be. Wife said it's like a whole different bike.....extremely comfortable.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1