Newbie | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Discussion in 'Victory Hammer' started by skipbarberman, Jan 7, 2021.

1. skipbarberman

skipbarberman Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Hammer
    Hello all, just bought a Hammer sight unseen from Cycletrader today, but been lurking for months. This is my sixth bike, clearly I have a problem. Well, and now a problem with space.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Very cool!

This your first Vic?

If so, keep the revs up when you ride. Shifting around 3k in pretty normal for us and when getting on it 4.5 is where it's at.....depending on any mods it may have.....maybe even a bit more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. skipbarberman

Hammer
    Yeah.....first Vic, first cruiser. Own (2) Buells, and after what Harley did to Erik, they were out. Bought an Aprilia Futura with my wife, to ride her. First ride with her on the back with my buddy/her cousin. He always wanted to ride a Futura, he has a Yamaha Warrior, wants to swap... So, we swap bikes and ride for 30 miles, and she likes that better. I tried to make her 'hang tough' for a couple years.......350 miles later.....well, you know how it ended. Looked at M109Rs, Warriors, Rockets.....never had a chance to ride any. Figured, what the hell and pulled the trigger.

Wrong forum, but anyone wanna buy a 2001 Aprilia Futura? Depending how the comparison/back-to-back rides go in a month, it could be on the block.

• Like Like x 1
  4. walks35

walks35 Well-Known Member

2004 Victory Kingpin
    Welcome to the VOG!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. skipbarberman

Hammer
    Thanks VVB, walks35, much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    Welcome, congrats & nice choice of bike. When is time to go from that recliner ( hammer ) to the couch or full sectional the Vision and Cross Country Tour will be the next option. Vics like being ran harder than most so run up into the tach before ya shift, at least 2500 rpm & up. Run good brand of gas, keep the air filter clean, change the oil when it needs it, choose good tires for ur type of riding & put lots n lots of miles on her

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. skipbarberman

Hammer
    Thanks Bikesofbrads. My other bikes are a 2008 Aprilia RSVR, a 1998 CBR900RR and (2) Buell XB9Rs in addition to the Futura. Used to run AMA 600SS years ago, so I've had to adjust down in the rev range with twins from I4s. I suspect a bike like a Hammer - from all the reviews I've read for the past 14 mo. - has said its not for the weak and needs to be man-handled a little bit. I accept the challenge. I know your point and agree; I see an awful lot of folks lugging engines...It's really not good for them.

I'm certain I'll be looking to many of you guys for some guidance. Been doing some reading, a lot more to do. I have to fight the urge to start accumulating stuff before we're sure the wife approves this time. In addition to selling off the Futura, I've got a few pieces of unobtanium for that bike that I went out searching for and acquired. I'll have to fight the urge.....its what I do apparently.

• Like Like x 1
  8. skipbarberman

Hammer
    Any chance there are any Hammer owners in the Rock Hill, SC area? I just relocated here from Albany, NY in August.....looking to ride all of these more.

9. Bikesofbrads

That’s badass you used to race the 600ss class, U’ll deff fit in around here. Nice diverse bike collection, gotta admit I may have gotten old but I still like crotch rockets. Post ur bikes pics, we’re all bike lovers, doesn’t matter what ya ride is just that you do ride. I wanna ride that old 900 rr, bet she’s still fast as hell

10. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Don't be so specific. Just settle on any Vic riders. Lol!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. KLA

KLA Well-Known Member

2007 Victory Jackpot, 1999 Victory V92C Classic
    If you're looking for a comfortable bike for your wife to ride on the back of then the Hammer might not have been the best of choices without a few mods like a new seat or new Progressive or Penske shock. I have a Jackpot which is similar to the Hammer, as far as the wide tire and harsh ride, and it took about a thousand in mods for my wife to be comfortable

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. skipbarberman

Hammer
    Sorry VVB, it wasn't meant to be that specific. I was wondering if there were any Hammer owners nearby that I could see/sit on their bikes. Just want to see what I've gotten myself into. Haven't wired the money yet.......got a tinge of "are you SURE?"

As for riding, I'll ride with anyone......well, anyone that rides well/smart I should say. "Squids need not apply"

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  13. skipbarberman

Hammer
    Thanks man. Yeah, I could 'haul the mail' back in the day. Just turned 50 in Nov, and I'm trying to figure out this 'slowing down' thing. Didn't really want to go 'full-on' cruiser like many of my peers, as I'm not wired that way.

On our honeymoon in 1996, we went to Maui. I rented a brand new HD Fat Boy to see what all the fuss was about......of course, we didn't bring our Arai helmets to the island, and, there is no helmet law. So, instead of using the plastic K-Mart helmets they had for loan, we went without. I threw that thing into the first corner, and folded/rode that floor board......sparks everywhere, bike was off the rear tire. Fortunately, that bike was/is heavy and I got into the throttle....so when we 'touched down' there was only a good high-side buck that I anticipated. About 5 seconds later my wife leans up into my left ear and says, "Um, yeah.....let's not do that again, OK?" The rest of the ride was relaxed and pleasant.....hoping to capture that again. Well, the part after the 'cornering clearance reset'.

The 900RR is all stock......a High School buddy of mine from California asked me if I wanted it as he was hanging it up. It's pristine stock, and it's what my 92 CBR600F2 should have been, back in the day. I'll post some pics up later. It doesn't hold a candle to the RSVR the way it sits.....that thing is an animal.

• Like Like x 1
  14. skipbarberman

Hammer
    Thanks KLA - Yeah, Almost everything I have has Ohlins on it, so a rear shock is anticipated right out of the gate. I'm a bit of a suspension junkie.....part of the fun is getting them dialed-in. The reason for the Hammer, is I'm REALLY trying to ease into this cruiser thing coming from sportbikes, and the dual front disk and inverted forks drew me in. I suspect, that was Victory's plan all along.

I'm going to start with a shock, (I know I said above I would fight the urge to start buying parts), but I came to terms with the shock early on.....trying to 'hold to that' for now. Looking for something with both compression and rebound damping, and about an inch of ride-height adjustment would be a plus too, if available. As for the seat.......yeah, we're going to need something for her to lean back against (I've gotten the evil eye calling it a sissy bar).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bikesofbrads

Ahh the old “sissy bar” is now a passenger backrest, it’s the same as dolls for lil girls as I always told my son they instantly become “action figures” the moment a boy touches them. The best shock available for Vics is the Penske, get with Scott or preach @ Conquest Customs ( they helped develop the shock ) & they’ll hook you up. Myself, I’m very biased as I love my cross country tour, she may b big but she gets dwn very well. Is extremely “flickable” in corners & truly does not ride like a 900lb machine & has storage for weeks of traveling. U’ll like the Hammer esp after making it yours. I had a 98 cbr 600 F3 that I loved so riding that 900 has semen mental value to me.

• Like Like x 1