VOG Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Got a stupid question to ask. I just recently started riding again after many years of being stagnant. The bikes I rode before were older (last one was a 1982 yamaha) and of course there was nothing special about it mechanically or electrical wise. So, a couple of years ago I came across a victory hammer and figured screw it and I bought it. So needless to say I'm still learning the in and outs about everything involved with the bike. Now here's the dumb question I mentioned. What exactly is an ACM on the bike? I'm assuming it's electrical and has to do something with the lights on the bike. Basically what happened was the previous owner did his own **** job of rewiring the rear wiring harness for the signal, tail and brake lights after I noticed that it was obviously ripped out (I'm guessing he had a hefty passenger on and bottomed out and the harness snagged something). Instead of replacing the harness he patched it up using telephone line instead of replacing the harness. Now, that being said, I had all my lights working after I put a new harness on and now everything works but the tail light. Someone mentioned something about the ACM might be blown? I need so.some help......

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Yeah, Auto-Cancel Module. It's possible the tail light was damaged beyond repair. I assume the tail/brake are LED, if the wires were connected backwards, it could have destroyed either the LEDs or some other component in the tail light assembly including the ACM. Without looking at the schematics, I can believe that the tail and brake lights might pass through the ACM. It'll be hard to diagnose without replacing one or both and repairing the wiring properly as well as protecting the wiring under the fender. I rotated the clips and moved the wires a bit to the side and covered them with a couple layers of duct tape after bottoming out a few times and ripping those wires causing shorts and a few blown fuses.

If the brake light works but the tail light does not, it could be whatever component sends the low current signal to the LEDs for the tail light. The brake and tail utilize the same 2 wires (if 2-wire system) with only difference between them being a low-current signal and a high-current signal. The other option would be a 3-wire system where it might illuminate some LEDs with one wire and more (brighter) with another wire utilizing a common ground or split the current between the 2 power wires (1 with half current for tail and 2 with full current for brake).

After all that mumbo-jumbo, I guess what I'm trying to say is this: It may just be a bad connection or broken wire, the tail light assembly itself or the ACM if it's part of the circuit. A test probe of the tail/brake connector could clue you in. Do you have the small bulb in the bottom of your headlight (and if so does it light up with key on?) and do the gauges illuminate? If so, probably not something as simple as a fuse.

Reactions: VicVisionBulldog

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, Auto-Cancel Module. It's possible the tail light was damaged beyond repair. I assume the tail/brake are LED, if the wires were connected backwards, it could have destroyed either the LEDs or some other component in the tail light assembly including the ACM. Without looking at the schematics, I can believe that the tail and brake lights might pass through the ACM. It'll be hard to diagnose without replacing one or both and repairing the wiring properly as well as protecting the wiring under the fender. I rotated the clips and moved the wires a bit to the side and covered them with a couple layers of duct tape after bottoming out a few times and ripping those wires causing shorts and a few blown fuses.

If the brake light works but the tail light does not, it could be whatever component sends the low current signal to the LEDs for the tail light. The brake and tail utilize the same 2 wires (if 2-wire system) with only difference between them being a low-current signal and a high-current signal. The other option would be a 3-wire system where it might illuminate some LEDs with one wire and more (brighter) with another wire utilizing a common ground or split the current between the 2 power wires (1 with half current for tail and 2 with full current for brake).

After all that mumbo-jumbo, I guess what I'm trying to say is this: It may just be a bad connection or broken wire, the tail light assembly itself or the ACM if it's part of the circuit. A test probe of the tail/brake connector could clue you in. Do you have the small bulb in the bottom of your headlight (and if so does it light up with key on?) and do the gauges illuminate? If so, probably not something as simple as a fuse.
All fuses are good. All lights work except the tail light when the bike is running and no brake lights either. Like I said, I installed the new harness and poof, tail light is not working. But it worked before I installed the harness. Mind you, my old man was fiddle ****ing around with the wiring before I put the new harness in so????

·
Registered
2,676 Posts

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Which new harness did you install? I would think just the tail harness runs from just under the seat to the rear lights. If all you did was install that and you now have problems, it's possible the new harness is mis-wired or faulty. I'd ohm out the individual wires from connector to connector with it removed to see if everything going in is coming out and coming out the correct location. Also disconnect the turn signals and test with them disconnected. I'm thinking you might be in the market for a replacement tail/brake light assembly, unfortunately.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which new harness did you install? I would think just the tail harness runs from just under the seat to the rear lights. If all you did was install that and you now have problems, it's possible the new harness is mis-wired or faulty. I'd ohm out the individual wires from connector to connector with it removed to see if everything going in is coming out and coming out the correct location. Also disconnect the turn signals and test with them disconnected. I'm thinking you might be in the market for a replacement tail/brake light assembly, unfortunately.
I checked out everything again and like before, everything works except the tail light. But this time I tested the tail light itself and when I put power to it, nothing lit up. So yeah, like you said earlier tthat the whole tail light assembly is fried but I'm trying to figure out why. Because it was working before I replaced that rear harness. But mind you, like I said before that the previous owner rewired everything using phone line and also nothing was color coded. My old man may have inadvertently did something when we were trying to fix it properly and fried the whole thing. Luckily I found a OEM tail/brakelight for the bike that a guy is getting rid of because he's upgrading his hammers rear end. Hopefully when I get the assembly, it will work ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.