Newbie thinking about Octane | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Newbie thinking about Octane

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jm276607, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Jm276607

Jm276607 New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Noob
    Hello,

Hoping i can get some guidance here. I got bit by the motorcycle bug during COVID. Im still figuring out my 'shortlist' of bikes. I absolutely love the look of the octane (other than the rear fender, whats going on with that taillight?) Should I consider the Octane as a first bike? Im 32, 5'10", decently strong and mostly level headed. Should i consider a Vic at all, or am going to be disappointed with the level of aftermarket availability etc.

2. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    Aftermarket for the Octane is going to be minimal at best. Very few of the Scout parts transfer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Welcome to TheVog.net

Should you get a Victory motorcycle? Asking that question on a Victory Motorcycle forum; Yes! Of course you should.

Should you get an Octane? I don't know, from your description you may actually be too long legged for one as they're very small bikes with little suspension travel. Their is virtually no aftermarket because it was a one year motorcycle. Therefore, unless you find one exactly how you'll always want it to be, think about it again before making the commitment. There 'are' parts and accessories available, but they also could be hard to come by and it 'may' take a very long time to find what you're looking for.

On the other hand, they're an awesome motorcycle and as fast as can be with a slight aftermarket tune and a intake/exhaust changes.

If I were you, I'd give hard consideration to the steel frame bikes (Vegas, Hammer, Jackpot, Gunner etc) or the Cross bikes (Cross Road, Cross Country or the Cross Country Tour. If they tickle your fancy, the Victory Vision is adored by their owners as well. All Victory's can be bought at excellent prices. They often require only scheduled maintenance for more miles than you or your grand children may ever put on one.

Yea, I know, all but the YES on buying a Victory, I gave you more to think about than I gave you an answer to your questions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jm276607

Jm276607 New Member

Noob
    Appreciate all the info. One thing I was hoping y'all could let me know was what other vic models to consider. I think i like standards and sportier cruisers. Im planning on selectively commuting and then playing on mtn roads on the weekends some (im in NC). I have a lot of bikes i want to get some saddle time on. Right now im considering; vulcan s, triumph speedmaster/bobber, suzuki sv650, Honda cb650r, aaaand a scout bobber (im sure that a lot of vic owners probably now hate Polaris and I completely get it, but the scout obviously interests me for a lot of the same reason the octane does, but I like the octane's more modern lines better)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Spacecoast

Spacecoast Active Member

2016 Victory Hammer S
    I'm 68 and have been riding for more than 50 years. My current bikes are a Victory Hammer S and a Yamaha FZ-09. I like both, but I got to say the Hammer is a heavy bike and at low speeds it can be a chore. And its not "nimble" like my FZ. About 10 years ago I had a Suzuki SV650...it was a great bike too...fast....nimble, but not the most comfortable. Last year at the Daytona Bike Week I rode the Indian Scout Twenty and really enjoyed that bike. Really fast, very nimble, easy to ride hard (and easy to lean a bit too far). Go to Youtube and watch Russian Rider and see his early videos of when he test rode the Octane....his impressions were basically the same ones I had when I rode the Scout last year.
    If I was riding in the mountains, I would go with the Octane over the larger Victory bikes....but that's my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chattanooga_Mark

Cross Roads, Cross Country, Magnum, or Cross Country Tour all day every day in my biased towards the Cross bikes point of view. The older Cross Roads have cast wheels which I greatly prefer over tubes and spokes. The fairing and the saddlebag capacity on the Cross bikes are very hard to beat. By this time, many of them will already have the 'low hanging fruit', meaning Lloyds cams, Lloyds air filter, Lloyds timing wheel, a PCV or a Maximus tune and an aftermarket set of slip on mufflers.

"Ride One and You'll Own One"

You've been warned friend.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory cct & 06 katana
    Many 100,000 + mile victory’s & plenty of 200 thous mile bikes as well, Vics are extremely reliable and cost efficient machines to maintain. Seriously.... Ride one & U’ll own one!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. ForestGiant

ForestGiant Well-Known Member

2014 Victory Cross Country, 97 Honda Valkyrie, 99 Honda Magna
    I am assuming you are new to the sport, if not disregard. Of the bikes you listed I would start with the Vulcan S. Plenty of them out their used and their ergo fit system allows you set it up for your perfect fit. Does 0 to 60 in the low 4s, and handles great and it is a light bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. PreachSF

PreachSF Well-Known Member

Bullitt (07 Hammer S w/ Jackpot front end)
    octane is a 1 year only bike, victory's red-headed step child.... personally id stay away from them. get a scout instead

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Jm276607

Jm276607 New Member

Noob
    Thanks and yes i am. First thing i wanna do after getting my covid shots is take the msf and get my endorsement. Then im gonna test ride a bunch ( im guessing street bikes are different than the Yamaha 125 i learned on) vulcan s looks really promising, but something about the octane really appeals to me. At least in pictures

11. Spacecoast

Spacecoast Active Member

2016 Victory Hammer S
    I would love to have one.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. SubDude

SubDude Well-Known Member

16 Chieftain Silver Smoke
    Buy it Man! I bought one in fall of 2019, 1200 miles on it and feel like I stole it for $6k. My son has taken over the bike now, but I still love to jump on it “to make sure it is road ready”

FA3C343D-F7BA-4C9C-9EA5-3E502FEB06D4.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Jm276607

Jm276607 New Member

Noob
    Ha, what a considerate father ;) Looks awesome! I love that color (ive also seen a couple 'flat bronze' that look awesome, but i dont know if its a coincidence or a factory color)

14. Chattanooga_Mark

Polaris had a bunch of Octanes with awesome factory paint jobs they used on the show circuit and such. In addition to the slate gray and the gloss black shown in the video I've seen burnt orange, yellow, a stunning blue and one in sunset red. Likely other colors as well though I've not seen the bronze mist on the Octane but I'd think that would also looks awesome.

My grand son in law wants a bike, bad. My grand daughter thought about a Scout but he would much prefer the Octane. IMHO, the Octane, the Judge and the Boardwalk will be some of the most sought after Victorys in the years to come. Why? Exclusive models from an exclusive and an awesome brand. Though I've been wrong before.

I completely agree with the SRK video in that had the Octane come out sooner or had Polaris not killed off Victory, the Octane would have been a huge seller with a huge following.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Jm276607

Jm276607 New Member

Noob
    Ya, it would be great if someone would "save" the brand. FYI, here's one of the bronzes 6024c0ebfff6082a2b1f23b5.jpg 6024c0ebfff6082a2b1f23b5.jpg

• Like Like x 4