New York's New Exhaust Law | Page 3 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

New York's New Exhaust Law

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by CTGunner, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Blowndodge

Blowndodge Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Victory XCT
    One of the big reasons I don't modify motorcycles anymore. Too much BS to worry about with exhaust and emissions. Big brother is here to stay and it's not getting any better. I have to admit, I love it when the tree huggers and fossil fuel climate alarmist put on headers and aftermarket fuel processors totally violating the Fed and most states emissions tampering laws and thumb their nose at it. Good for thee not for me.

2. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    Land of the free and the home of the BRAAAAHHHHHPPPP!!!! Fun fact....most gutted pipes are still 10db’s quieter than people screaming into their cell phones. It’s true, gimme a few to edit Wikipedia with my scientific analists

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Blackened

Blackened Well-Known Member

2002 VFR, 2013 Vegas 8-ball, 2018 Indian Scout Bobber
    I just texted with a buddy who was part of a sheriffs department in southern NY about this. This was his response:

"It’s what the law already said! I’ve written the ticket 1000 times! Used it for probable cause to stop drug cars. They are just increasing penalties to make more money and expand government overreach such as inspections. Just like the window tint change two years or so ago.

The original intent of the equipment violation law was to keep **** boxes off the road. If your muffler is falling off your car it’s a hazard to other drivers etc. then it became environmental. And now politics is involved. How does a street cop “prove” your muffler isn’t stock. Or is without baffles? Some states regulate decibel levels. How do they enforce that? Cops have decibel meters? Doubt it. It would be a rarity at best. My agency wouldn’t even buy tint meters or radar for crying out loud lol. It will be just like tint at inspection. Find a garage that doesn’t give a crap . BTW, most states have the same laws:
    upload_2021-11-5_9-44-54.png "

Point being, you likely will still just keep on doing what you do now. It might be different in someplace like NYC where everything is super rigid, but if you are upstate in the more rural areas of the state you will likely be fine.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  4. Blowndodge

Blowndodge Well-Known Member

2013 Victory XCT
    California set up road blocks and inspects motorcycle mufflers by sticking a rod to see if the muffler has been drilled and set up a DB meter a certain distance 90 degrees to the meter and the officer raps the throttle. No way around it. Some stock motorcycles pass but not by much. It's coming for all motorcycles eventually.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Bikesofbrads

On a positive note, we’re one day closer to the big earthquake that’ll rid cali from the civilized world. I wonder how many of those responsible for those types of laws are heavily invested in electric vehicles

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. JamesBond

JamesBond Well-Known Member

2015 Magnum/ 2005 Big Dog Chopper
    Don't know what Cali you are talking about? Cali does not require motorcycle Inspections for mods or emissions on a regular basis.
    Some area of a town might have a sound ordinance that is stricter than most and that is what probably happened.
    I have rode all over Cali and have never been checked for mods.
    As far as NY goes those Hardly Boys are Freaking out about Now!......:cussing:

• Like Like x 1
  7. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    that would be my guess too. Here in AZ there is a town called Carefree / Cave Creek that has a noise ordinance (there are a few huge biker bars in this small town, so a constant stream of bikes going in and out.

but at the state level, I know of no sound / mod laws.

Arizona Town Seeks to Quiet Noisy Bikers

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. PJRo

PJRo Well-Known Member

2013 Victory Hammer 8-Ball
    I live in PA .... one county from NY.
    I ride thru NY and NJ most days.
    Me ...not worried.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. TheBucket

TheBucket Active Member

2012 XCTour
    Not that it's really needed, but one more reason to not live in NY state...or California for that matter. But who am I to talk, I live in MN.

10. Bikesofbrads

Yea but not even a state troopers Motorola radio can catch your 253 horses, is it a bird? A plane? A speeding bullet? Nope, just @PJRo on his Victory

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sharps

Sharps Active Member

06 vegas premium
    I live in Syracuse but I don't think it will be on inspections...just gives police more reasons they can pull you over for.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gunner99

Gunner99 Member

2017 Victory Gunner
    I have a factory exhaust never used if ur interested. It came off my 2017 Gunner, when new, before I took possession of it. $150.00 plus u pay shipping. I'm in PA

• Like Like x 1
  13. kgkmav

kgkmav New Member

Hardball
    I feel sorry for you too. Spent some time up there and loved it. Pretty much everyone complained about how the twins were screwing over the whole state.

14. CTGunner

CTGunner Member

VIctory Gunner
    I appreciate the offer (really) but I would probably sell the bike first before I do that. The bike has Lloydz Torque Tubes, 501 cams, Maximus and was tuned by Noe. Going back to a stock exhaust, well, no thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Bikesofbrads

Dude the law ain’t that bad, at worst, you may hafta add a very small baffle or 1 layer of wrap if your clearly way above the db limit. Most of the exhaust sound level is controlled by your hand so know the place and time you can be ham fisted. The laws meant for those extremely over the top systems that a switch opens so is only running through the headers ( targeting street racers ) most cops are car & bike guys too and won’t hate on ya, if you do decide to sale plz post it here first. Dennis Kirk sells universal baffles and just the packing wrap, a lil will cut the sound dwn without dropping performance

• Agree Agree x 2