VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, New to the forum and a New Cross Roads owner. I will tell you a bit about my journey. I started looking at Harleys. I am a bigger guy 6'5 290lbs and tried out at least a 12 different Harleys. I was told by the sales guy "Your a big guy, if you want to ride a real bike you will have to be a little uncomfortable". I then went to a Victory dealer and the first bike I sat on (if I remember right was a Kingpin) I was hooked. I was impressed with how comfortable the bike was for someone my size. So I have been looking to buy a Victory for the last year or so. Last week the bike bug was getting to me so I went to a dealer and they had a 08 carry over for a really good price. After test riding it I was ready to make the purchase. I started adding up the accessories and pretty soon I was about $500.00 less than a new Cross Roads and I figured with shop labor I would be well over the base price of the XR. They had a Black Cherry XR on the floor and a black one in the back that they just pulled out of the box. So I purchased the Black one. I have yet to pick it up from the dealer, I did have them put cruise on the bike. I plan on getting it next week and then waiting for warmer weather to hit. I will be able to post more about the bike in a month or so and after the reviews I have read I am sure it will hold up to all my expectations. I just hope that I will be able to find some aftermarket things for it because Victorys prices are a little out there.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. Ride safe when you get it.
I'm waiting impatiently for my black XR. I'm sure you will love it, just like I plan on loving mine. BTW the kingpin got me hooked on the Vic's as well. I'm also 6'5" and have tried a few HD's (way too cramped)

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Hi Bek and Welcome to The VOG!

As more and more riders are picking up their Cross bikes, I'm looking forward to reading their personal reviews. As you stated, finding a bike that fits is a good thing. Reading various reviews from riders of different sizes will most definitely help others when it's their turn to start the test ride process.

Ride Safey and yes...Pictures, Please!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I brought my bike home today. Due to the cold I was forced to trailer it home. Once home I took it out for a brief ride it was around 39 degrees F out. I will say the power and over all ride was awesome. The main problem that I found was that at highway speed the wind did shake my sunglasses off and almost blew my stocking hat off. I know that they make a taller windshield and I will be looking into that but they are out of stock and Ill have to wait to make $600.00 purchase.
One thing that I would like to see is a handle or something on the saddlebags. They are big and kind of awkward to carry without having a zipper or something scratch them. Also the way the bags are designed one cannot set them flush on the floor. Besides the two minor things I think the bike is great for the brief amount of time I have spend on it.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I can't wait to hear your impression once you get a few hundred miles on her.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Hell I'm 6'1" with size 12's and the boards on the HD are cramped for me as well. Can't wait to hear more about the XR!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Two things will help the buffetting, three if you include a taller windshield. Fork lowers. I am using the Memphis Shades clear lowers. They are less expensive than the Victory lowers and block more air. Also look at the Baker Airwings for cruisers. I believe thay would work on the crash bar of your XR. Enjoy the ride and I hope it warms up where you are soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Greetings:
Before you purchase the taller windshield, try the lowers and/or the ones that attach to the highway bars. I found that I do NOT need the taller windshield after I mountedthe Victory lowers. Saved me a bunch of scratch.
BUT, if you decide you do need a taller windshield, even with the lowers mounted, wait for just a while. Cee Baileys might be coming out with an after market windshield for the XR for a lot less than the Victory $600.
Ride Safe.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Welcome!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.