VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally have the time to sit down and introduce myself. I have been riding since the age of 8 or 10 (at my age who remembers) when my dad bought a Rupp Mini Bike. We moved up to a 125 Honda then I started riding a Honda 350 at 15 (not legally). I bought a Kawasaki KZ1000-A4at 20. Moved to a Honda VF750S, then 2 900 Ninja's, a Honda VF1000F, 83 Interstate, 92 1000F, 05 Hayabusa, 02 VTX 1800C and now the Vision. I still love to sport ride but my hands seem to want to fall asleep when I ride sport bikes.

The wife and I purchased a Vision 4 weeks ago and have put right at 600 miles on it as of last weekend (weather has not helped the last week) and we are having a great time with it.

I lurked around the Victory sites before I purchased it and tried to learn as much about it as I could. We had looked at a Vegas back when we bought the Hayabusa and I let my wild side make the decision. We really liked the way the Vegas rode and the balance was great. It was with this data that I started looking last year at a Hammer. We rode the Hammer (notice how I changed subjects) and I was convinced that this was the bike for us (read me). But my wife being the cooler headed of the two of us kept me in check and convinced me to wait to buy. Boy am I glad I waited.

As the last year slipped by I realized that I did not want to spend the days fighting wind and I really wanted my wife to be able to enjoy the ride as much as I do (I realize that is unrealistic but I wanted to get her close). So we went down to the dealer and I rode a Vision. The day was gloomy, threatening rain,and cool and the wife declined to ride. So I took a small jaunt down Kingston Pike up onto the Pellissippi Parkway, hit the cloverleaf at I40 and reversed course back to the dealer. It wasn't far but it was enough to let me know that this was the bike for us. Plenty of power, smooth, nice seat, great sound, and the adjustable windshield was great. I was sold.

The next task would be to find the right price on a TP. I started local and then branched out until I had nailed down prices up to 1000 miles away. Ultimately that did not provide me with the dealership I ended up at. My wife and I decided to take a run down to Atlanta one weekend and we thought we would hit a couple of dealerships in the metro area while we were there. We decided to hit the dealer in Kennesaw and Cumming.

Kennesaw has a beautiful new dealership, state of the art displays and a great looking building. However I called and talked to the receptionist and informed her that we would be coming down from Knoxville and to get final directions and she never once asked the questions I think would interest someone in the sales field. Questions like, when will you arrive, what are you interested in, please ask for ????????? when you get here. When we arrived the receptionist was by the door and said hello (nothing else). We stood for a minute and then moved over by the Vision on the floor. We stood ignored and unmolested for over 10 minutes. I at that point suggested to my lovely bride that we skedaddle. We got into the car and proceeded towards Atlanta.

Cumming was a different matter. I had not spoken to them before as they were out ofour way and we did not know if we would have time to hit their store. I phoned at 2:58pm and Jeff answered the phone. I asked when they closed and he replied 3. When I said "oh" he asked where we were. I told him we were down from Knoxville and were about 40 miles away. He told me he was going to get something to eat, gave me his cell phone number, and said to call when we were 4 or 5 miles out and he would meet us at the dealership. When we arrived Jeff had the door unlocked and was waiting for us. This was a shining example of customer care, he was enthusiastic, kept my wife engaged, and made us both glad we made the effort to stop by.

So we made no commitments that day but waited until I had an opportunity to negotiate with staff from Ultimate(whom I like a great deal). They were unable to get anywhere close to the Cumming price, so much so that it was more than worth it to go down and make the purchase in GA. I also must ad that Ultimate's staff has been great since the purchase. No animosity towards us. They understand business is business. They have even offered to help get a local group together and use their lot as a starting place for Sunday rides. Good for business and Kudos to them.

So now the part that really matters, we have ridden a couple of weekends and this bikes ride is incredible. I handles well in the corners, no tendencies to wobble in turns, tours down the road great, and looks good too. The only complaint I really have is the fit and finish of the parts. I have tons of funky looking plastic edges, little shavings sticking out from under the switches, and the left mirror doesn't do me much good.

We are looking forward to spending a lot of time with this bike. We plan on attending the Helen GA event next month and we hope to meet a lot of people here in Knoxville to ride with. If you stayed with this thread, thanks.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts

Candyman,
Other than the black letters on black background that is a great story. For those who cannot see the text, just hold down the left button on your mouse and scroll down...worth the read.
Great story about your dealership experience adn that your local dealer is supportive. As Andy always says, the salesman sel you the first bike and the service dept. sells you the next. I have been looking at the Visions for quite a while for the exact same reasons you gave which is tohave the wifeenjoy thelong rides. I am hoping to have this second bike sometime in the next year.

·
Registered
717 Posts

I have close to 5,000 miles on so far this year and still smile every time I ride her.
My wife was worried about giving up her seat on our Kingpin but lost all sense of nostalgia with her first ride on the Vision.
Enjoy your new toy.

·
Registered
279 Posts

Congratulations go out to both you and the wife! My wife and I are recent additions to the Vision Family (4-25-09)('08 Midnight Cherry TP)..
Also, I'm completely jealous of you living in Knoxville!! You have some beautiful riding areas out there in your neck of the country. I try to make a trip out there at least once a year. Except this year my Dad and his friends are going to ride the Virgina(s) and I'll be joining them.. The next time that I am out I'll have to drop ya'll a line and put a few more (s)miles on these Visions...
Once again, Congrats!!!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride!!

Now you will have to answer the question "Why the stupid grin?" every time you get off the bike and believe me they just won't understand.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Steve471 said:
Congratulations on the new ride!!

Now you will have to answer the question "Why the stupid grin?" every time you get off the bike and believe me they just won't understand.
The grin has been a life long affliction. It comes with riding.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Welcome and congrats!! I just picked up my Black 09 Vission Tour last Saturday. I have about 300 miles on her, just starting to feel her sole. Big difference from the Hammer S I traded. Just waiting to get the Luggage rack and backrest. I still do not like the look of the trunk, but will remount when I do longer trips. Man this babies big compared to my Hammer!!

·
Registered
188 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. I know you will love it. I've had my 09 Tour Premium for a little over a month now and have put 2000+ miles on it already. The more I ride it the better I like it. As an added bonus, as the motor has broken in, my mileage has steadily increased. My last long ride, I averaged just over 50 mpg.
I'm leaving in a week and a half for a 5 day 1300+ mile ride with about 20 other riders. I can't wait to cruise in comfort and watch my buddies turn green with envy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.