VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Added a trunk to my 09 Street. I now have 2 keys. Hmmm what to do???

Well, if you have a good friend that happens to be a locksmith then you:

Remove the lock assembly(you have to take the trunk off unless you want to try to get the inner liner unglued - I didn't! 2 people is almost a necessity!)

Take the lock out out of the assembly(be careful as there are a spring and small screws.)

Give it to your buddy and watch him work!

-Taking the cylinder out of the lock is the hardest part.

-Then it's some filing and adjusting, filing, adjusting, etc.

30 minutes later and the IGN key will now open the trunk!!!

A lot cheaper than buying a whole new lock set!!!

Sorry, did not have a camera to doc it - it was a spur of the moment thing during lunch!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Ha! I'm looking into doing the same thing. I hope my friend (who also happens to be a locksmith) will be able to do the same thing that your friend did.
Did you say that you had to take apart the inner lining? Did it go back on ok?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After taking out all of the black screws in the trunk(bottom), the outer shell will be loose enough to pull the lock assembly out(remove the 3 silver screws at the lock end)

Had to take the trunk off to get the shell to move enough to get the assembly out.

I was going to take out the inner shell, but it is glued in place and it became obvious real quick to just go from the outside.

The cylinder has a wafer style pin set and you have to have a pick to get the inner part out of the cylinder. Ii understand it now, but would have busted it if I tried it myself.

There is also a power port of some kind in the trunk and the ground is attached to the lock assembly(left hand screw).

Good luck! It is very cool what someone that knows about locks can do!

Oh yeah - all of the wafers in the cylinder have springs and those things will shoot out all over the place, especially when putting it back together! I was being real "helpful" when I told my buddy to be careful, those things 'll pop out(pressing my luck of having him just quit halfway through!)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I asked this question before, maybe you can ask your locksmith friend? Can each side of the Victory key be cut to a different lock? I did this for my brother's Ford pickups years ago and it saved him a key on the ring. Of course you have to reinsert the key if you put it in upside down. If Victory uses a chip all bets are off.
If this can be done you could mark one side of the plastic to ID the ignition side from the trunk side.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Forum search: http://www.thevog.net/forum/thread/17276/2-bikes-1-key/page_1/

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Had a similar thing. When the Cross Country trunk was released you couldn't even buy a lock for it. When they finally did release it you either had to carry the two keys. Went to a local locksmith and had it keyed to match for somewhere around $20.

·
Registered
9 Posts

redpin04 said:
Had a similar thing. When the Cross Country trunk was released you couldn't even buy a lock for it. When they finally did release it you either had to carry the two keys. Went to a local locksmith and had it keyed to match for somewhere around $20.
thank you i'll try that. ended up taking the trunk off and called a buddy thats a smith he messed with the lock and my one and only key ,now i can ride and lock my stuff.

·
Registered
543 Posts

old_bones said:
do not have two key's.
Hi old bones.... there are several other posts prior to yours talking about 2 keys. They are the posts I was responding to. Not quite sure though, how you could think my reply was responding to your question asking if you can remove the liner ???? :) :)

Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.