VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was off for the holidays. First day of my vacation, 12/20/18, I get in my truck to run to the store and the CEL comes on along with a message about the DEF system needing serviced and that the truck will go into limp mode in 99 miles if not serviced. Keep in mind, this was the 4th time in 6 months that I have had this happen. Each time it has been been caused by different sensors going bad. It always happens right before or during the time I'm pulling out for a trip or on vacation. This was the final straw. I took it in, got it fixed and immediately started researching what I needed to delete the emissions. Had all the parts in online shopping carts ready to pull the trigger. Before I did, I thought it would be a good idea to check the forums to make sure there wasn't anything else I needed or any issues I should be aware of. There were a lot more. When I saw how much it would cost in all, I decided to find out exactly what my truck was actually worth. I couldn't believe how well it has held its value. Long story short, I didn't delete it. I traded it in on a new truck.

Here are some pictures of my old truck at the dealership after the deal was done.

View attachment 508299

View attachment 508301

View attachment 508303

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a window tint appointment made for next Saturday. :icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
I like the new truck but isn't it basically the same as your old one. Do you think your old one was a lemon and will have better luck with this one?

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
I like the new truck. Looks great!

But I share the question of Lou.

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
@Poseidon I like it! Not sure what the story was on the other truck, which I also liked, but I really like this one.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The old truck was a 2012. 2nd year for diesels having DPF and exhaust fluid. The body styles are different, although not a lot of difference. The interior is a vast improvement and the motor and trans are completely new as well (3rd year for this motor).

There are a lot of changes that have been made to the emissions system, hopefully for the better. Time will tell. I can say it has a lot more power and torque than my old truck. According to GM, the 2012 had 396hp and 765 torque. The 2019 has 445 hp and 910 torque.

The two big issues that pushed me to get a new truck vs deleting the old one was the fact that some of the diesel tuners have been forced to quit by the EPA. That made me a little nervous. What happens if I need changes made to my tune later on and my tuner can no longer do tunes? If you want more info on it do a google search on ATP or Idaho Rob. He has put out some YouTube videos about it as well.

The real kicker was the issues with the CP4 pump going out without warning and sending shrapnel thru the entire fuel injection system. The repair bill to fix that can range from $8k - $20k and it has been happening on stock trucks as well as deleted and tuned trucks. The fix is to modify and retro fit the old CP3 pump to fit the motor. The modified CP3 pump range from $1500 - $2000 and that does not include labor. The CP3 pump going out was one of the only Issues I had on my 2006 Duramax. So it is possible and actually likely that it would have to be replaced more than once during the lifespan of the truck.

The new motor has a different, supposedly more robust, injection pump. The guys that have over 200k miles on the new motor have not had any major issues yet.

One other thing that helped me make the decision was when I saw what the trade in value on my 2012 was. I couldn’t see throwing that away. If the truck is deleted some dealers won’t take it on trade. The ones that do typically whole sale them so they give you next to nothing. After trading in my truck, it only cost me a little more than twice what the delete would have cost me.

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
I've never really thought about or worried about my tuners. I have an Edge in my 150 and have had it since 2012. They only thing I've ever changed is the tire size to fix my speedo.

I have no plans to get rid of this truck but if/when I do I honestly doubt I'll even get a tuner. Or, will at least wait until the warranty is expired since they can see them now.

After hearing more I think you definitely made the right choice. I like the look of the new truck much more than the old one. Looks mean.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We went to Maggie Valley in June and October. Both times I got in the truck the weekend before to run some errands. When I did the CEL came on with exhaust emissions codes. It was a rush to the dealer to get it fixed. Same thing in August when I was getting ready to go to Illinois to visit family. Keep in mind, I rarely drive my truck except for long trips, or to run to the hardware store or when the weather is bad and I can’t ride one of the bikes. During the week, I have a work car I drive. So to have the CEL come on 4 times in 6 months is actually every 3rd or 4th time I drove it! The truck only had 48,200 miles on it.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like the new truck but isn't it basically the same as your old one. Do you think your old one was a lemon and will have better luck with this one?
Never had an issue until after the warranty expired (due to time, not mileage)

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've never really thought about or worried about my tuners. I have an Edge in my 150 and have had it since 2012. They only thing I've ever changed is the tire size to fix my speedo.

I have no plans to get rid of this truck but if/when I do I honestly doubt I'll even get a tuner. Or, will at least wait until the warranty is expired since they can see them now.

After hearing more I think you definitely made the right choice. I like the look of the new truck much more than the old one. Looks mean.
Tuners do not do as much on a gas truck as they do on a diesel. The guys writing the programs are deleting the emissions system so the computer doesn't try to do a regen on the dpf or throw codes because sensors are missing. These tunes can add 200 plus hp to the truck without any other mods.

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
Tuners do not do as much on a gas truck as they do on a diesel. The guys writing the programs are deleting the emissions system so the computer doesn't try to do a regen on the dpf or throw codes because sensors are missing. These tunes can add 200 plus hp to the truck without any other mods.
Right, but once the tuner is on and the new tune is in I don't see any problems coming up. My brother has had many diesels with tuners with no issues..... with the tuners. None of my tuners ever have met issues either. I guess anything is possible though. With the upgrades your new truck has and power you probably won't feel the need for one.

My brother just got a 2019 F250 King Ranch. The tuner he has now has WiFi and talks directly with his phone. It tells him everything. Very nuts what we have now days. Not just the tuners but the trucks too.

He put a 4 inch lift and 37 Nittos on it. For Christmas I got him dual LED light bars that fit in the gaps on the grill.

I wish I had the room, need, and money for a diesel. My little bass boat just can't justify it.
View attachment 508313

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
That sucks. Did you happen to buy an extended bumper to bumper warranty? You're guaranteed to never have any problem then. Lol
I have had two extended warranties actually pay for themself.

On my 07 F150 4x4 Lariot I had a small oil leak with less than 35K on it. I took it in and they changed a gasket and gave me fresh oil. Well a few days after I noticed it was still leaking. I ended up having to take it in 3 more times and each time got fresh oil over almost yep years. I didn't pay for an oil change that whole time because I would just wait till it was close to time and then take it back. All for a $75 deductable.

Then on my current truck the AC blender shorted it and some other parts. Was almost $3k in parts in labor but covered with a $100 deductible in the last month of the warranty.

I may have come out ahead on my 13 Vision too but I would need to compare cost vs covered parts. They bought me a side panel, radio repair, and rear master cylinder. Probably not over the cost of the warranty.

That said twice I was burned badly by an extended warranty company. Some are absolutely out there to rob you.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That sucks. Did you happen to buy an extended bumper to bumper warranty? You're guaranteed to never have any problem then. Lol
I thought about buying an extended warranty, but I didn't feel that would solve my real issue. The cost of the repairs hadn't been very high... yet. It was the fact that it only threw codes right before I was heading out on a trip. It would have really pissed me off if I had to miss one of them because the truck was in the shop. Or worse yet, thrown a code half way between here and there leaving me stranded or in max speed 4mph limp mode!

Reactions: lou8700

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The old truck white good guy
The new truck black bad ass.

I love my Chevy I have a 2001 Chevy 1500 with 280,000 miles on it still going strong!
I got white last time because it muted some of the chrome that they plaster all over the front of these trucks. The black made all that chrome look gaudy to me. I like black and chrome when it is done tastefully and the chrome isn't over powering.

When I saw the midnight edition I knew it was the one I wanted!

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
I thought about buying an extended warranty, but I didn't feel that would solve my real issue. The cost of the repairs hadn't been very high... yet. It was the fact that it only threw codes right before I was heading out on a trip. It would have really pissed me off if I had to miss one of them because the truck was in the shop. Or worse yet, thrown a code half way between here and there leaving me stranded or in max speed 4mph limp mode!
My boat and I had a relationship like that right when I got it. Seemed like every time I got on the water something broke slowing me down. You want to get mad? Buy two marine batteries.....ON THE WATER. Luckily the guy saw I was police and had police in his family so I got a discount. Still hurt!

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Right, but once the tuner is on and the new tune is in I don't see any problems coming up. My brother has had many diesels with tuners with no issues..... with the tuners. None of my tuners ever have met issues either. I guess anything is possible though. With the upgrades your new truck has and power you probably won't feel the need for one.

My brother just got a 2019 F250 King Ranch. The tuner he has now has WiFi and talks directly with his phone. It tells him everything. Very nuts what we have now days. Not just the tuners but the trucks too.

He put a 4 inch lift and 37 Nittos on it. For Christmas I got him dual LED light bars that fit in the gaps on the grill.

I wish I had the room, need, and money for a diesel. My little bass boat just can't justify it.
View attachment 508313
If you are towing, you can always justify more power! Hahaha

Nice truck. I'm not a ford guy, but I've always liked that body style with the step down side window.

What truck is that hiding behind yours in the pole barn?

As far as future tuning being needed... I was thinking more along the lines of doing some of the upgrades in stages and possibly needing some tweaks made to the tune after wards. Or having a file get corrupted or something along those lines. I'm sure it would be like the extended warranty tho. If the tuner is able to stay in business, I'll never need it, but as soon as he gets shut down by the epa, something will happen and I'll be screwed!

Reactions: VicVisionBulldog
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.