VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up my '09 VV Tour this weekend and am jazzed about having the wife ride with me when I get home. I set up my VTX 1800 with a single seat, and have only ridden with her once on my brother-in-laws Road King. Any suggestions for making her experience more enjoyable - from getting on, to any other helpful hints?!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Have her get on first with the stand down then step through and have a blast ! One thing ive learned is to remove the riders backrest to give the passenger more room. (actually its to feel them against you but go with the more room theory !)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Clubford00 said:
Have her get on first with the stand down then step through and have a blast ! One thing ive learned is to remove the riders backrest to give the passenger more room. (actually its to feel them against you but go with the more room theory !)
Riders backrest? I've got one on my VTX's Ultimate seat and love it. Where do you get it? Can it be added by you if you've got decent skills? Where do most of you purchase accessories/bling? Thanks for the replies. Do you recommend her getting on the low or high side?

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Mine is a Utopia backrest with a quick out. I love it. When i know im going to ride someone i put the trunk on so they have a backrest and i use them , hehe .

·
Registered
138 Posts
My VV rides better to me when 2 up, alot more than when I'm riding alone... Go have yourself a BLAST

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just picked up my 2010 Vision that I equipped with a backrest. I left it on for the first leg of the 2-up ride and removed it for the return voyage. It was more comfortable for me with the back rest but as mentioned above too crowded for her. Also, the little chrome screw that adjusts the backrest camber angle comes deviously close to the passengers crotch - not sure if this is a design feature or not ;-p

Of note: my previous bike was a supersport tourer. One of the reasons I bought the VV was for the comfort of both myself and wife. After our first ride she tells me the ride is so comfy it was boring as she nothing to do to keep in the saddle. Can't win?? LOL!

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
I also have the Utopia backrest (www.utpr.com). They are a great company to deal with and yes, you can install it yourself as I think most on here have done. Hardest part is staring at the seat with a 12" knife in your hands.

Have her get on the low side while its on the stand. If you're pretty new to 2-up riding the only thing I would say to watch out for is the slow-speed wiggle. Amazing how much they like to wiggle around when you are trying to stop or take a slow turn. I'm betting there have been more dropped bikes at stop signs from that little maneuver than most would care to mention.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Ride like you are carrying precious cargo and be predictable. There is a lot of trust put in the rider. My wife is a really good passenger, some others make it hard work if they fight the bike. I do not know how your wife is as a passenger but there are a few basic tips such as when you turn right the passenger looks past the riders helmet to the right opposite for left turns and gentle before more force full braking if possible.
Other more experienced operators can add there tips. Enjoy the 2 up rides.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The biggest problem I have experienced since getting my VV is that my wife rarely let's me go out alone anymore. She wasn't much for passenger duties before but the ride on the VV is so nice and predictable she is enjoying the heck out of herself. In fact she has planned a trip for us to Key West on the bike for next year.

Just go slow and easy until she gets a feel for being a passenger and explain to her what her part in the process is, at least that worked for me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got the bike home this weekend, about a 700 mi. ride home from Phoenix. My buddy met me half way in Page, AZ, where we stayed the night and headed home on Sunday. Loved riding this bike and think the wife will too!

·
Registered
55 Posts

The first time my wife rode passenger on my Vision, she complained about the wind buffeting her head since she sits higher than I do. I raised the windshield to deflect more air, and that did the trick, no complaints from her since.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Billy_Joe said:
The first time my wife rode passenger on my Vision, she complained about the wind buffeting her head since she sits higher than I do. I raised the windshield to deflect more air, and that did the trick, no complaints from her since.
I'm 6-9 and when she sat on it last night(the motorcycle...) her head was just barely above mine.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Our is a little wobbly at stops too! More so than our previous Harleys. Glad to see others mention it here. Thought I was gettiing old or something!
Enjoy! We're two-up all the time and it's what we do best... or second best!

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
wilsondude said:
Billy_Joe said:
I'm 6-9 and when she sat on it last night(the motorcycle...) her head was just barely above mine.
LOL...glad you clarified that one. This group could have taken that so many different ways.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.