VOG Forum banner

New To Me Victory Hard-Ball

5552 Views 127 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  arkvic
I've wanted a second bike for quite some time. I vacillated between a Boardwalk, a High Ball, a Hammer, a Cross Roads or a Moto Guzzi Eldorado 1400. I've only had my CCT since March of 2013. I absolutely still love the Victory Cross Country Tour, a lot. I've never owned a motorcycle this long. I also have no plans whatsoever to sell it, trade it off or anything like that. It's a keeper and has been since day one of owning it. So now what, what second bike to get once opportunity and preparedness meet. About 3 years ago I bought a new in the box Cross Roads driving light kit, 'just in case'.

Between the various other Victory models, I ended up thinking having another Cross bike would make it easier on my Parts Shelf. Plus, with the tendon damage in my right hand, I really do look to engage cruise control after about 15 minutes. I rode mostly Moto Guzzi bikes for several decades. The only model I'd consider would be the Eldorado 1400. Like Polaris, Piaggio (who owns Moto Guzzi) killed off all the 1400 models in favor of their new at the time 850 models. No thanks, no thank you, a lot. I also have zero interest in their newest bike, the V100. So, I mentally pulled the plug on another Moto Guzzi. Not now, not likely ever at this point.

You may have noticed a 2013 Hard Ball for sale on the forum for a month or so. I didn't actually see it until after a couple of weeks. A little banter back and forth with the seller and then I sent him a private message with my contact information. Soon afterwards we spoke on the phone and talked about the Hard Ball. Today I went to the bank to get the cash. Saturday he'll ride the Hard Ball to Memphis and I'll drive out their with a dear brother. We'll meet, I'll see the bike up close for the first time and if it's as expected, money changes hands, the title gets signed and I ride back on a 2013 Victory Hard Ball. I'm very excited about the whole thing. The seller seems like a wonderful gentleman and I'm anxious to meet him in person. He's the second owner and as far as is known, the bike is stock except for the windshield and the passenger backrest/luggage rack. The only pause I had was the ABS light stays on. But this happened to my CCT twice and the 'cure' was a new ABS sensor. I have one on order and it will be in this week.

I'm pretty sure I've watched or seen parts of every YouTube video that has Hardball, Hard Ball or Hard-Ball in the title.

Here's the link to the bike in question: 2013 Hardball

So, after nearly 10 years of Cross Country Tour ownership, I find it a bit odd I still have a few questions about the Hard Ball. So here goes:

- Can anyone tell by the pictures if this Hard Ball has the Short, Mid or the Tall windshield? I've only ever sat on one Cross Roads and I don't remember what, if any, windshield it had on it. I'm only 5'11" and the pictures make the windshield seem very high.

- Does anyone have a good set of Cross bike mag (non spoke) wheels they may be looking to sell? I literally travel the western half of the US for work so shipping 'may' not have to be an issue.

- What's the proper spelling of the name? I've seen it written Hard-Ball, Hardball and Hard Ball.

- Does anyone have a factory Cross Roads heated grip kit they're looking to sell? I currently have both new heated grips on my parts shelf and I'll also install the Cross Roads driving light kit I have. Therefore, all I really need should be the heated grip switch and the wiring harness that goes from the switch to the headlight wiring. I suspect the CCT parts should work if they're still available.

- Does anyone have a pdf of a sales brochure that included the Hard Ball or the accessories Polaris ever offered for one? The only Victory Accessory catalog I have is from 2017 and there's no mention of the Cross Roads let alone the Hard Ball.

- Was the dark red seat a factory accessory for the Hard Ball like it was for the High Ball?

- I may install the steel Witchdoctor's skid plate on the Hard Ball as well. I removed it from my CCT because it induced a vibration at 3500 rpm in 6th gear.

Your input, ideas, suggestions etc., as always, are welcome.
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
I looked at the fuel pump assembly I have on my parts shelf and it’s the exact same one that’s on the Hard-Ball. I bought this soon after the Victory murder at a dealer selling stuff for crazy low prices. I only paid $100 for it. It even has a new float assembly.

I’m not going to install it due to a broken retaining tit but I’m glad to know I have the correct one on the shelf. I ‘could’ install the new one and keep the broken tit one on my parts shelf as a spare but I don’t trust a used fuel pump to not get gummed up after being submerged in ethanol gas for the last 10 years. If the experts on this forum suggest I go through with using a stainless wire as a mechanical fuel filter retainer I’ll pull the assembly and go that route. The new fuel filter had to be tapped home with a small rubber mallet so I know it’s definitely on there tight.

Somewhere around 2012 Victory went from a small fuel pump nipple to larger one. I don’t recall if my 2012 CCT has the small or the large fuel nipple.

· Registered
4,503 Posts
If the experts on this forum suggest I go through with using a stainless wire as a mechanical fuel filter retainer I’ll pull the assembly and go that route. The new fuel filter had to be tapped home with a small rubber mallet so I know it’s definitely on there tight.
You could use a piece of stainless wire for reassurance even though you had to use a mallet to drive it home ( completely seated ) I think it should be fine and is highly doubtful it would ever pop off. I imagine you cleaned out the tank as best you could, btw, how dirty was it & how clogged did the filters appear after 10 years? About unlocking the features on the tach, Noe, Corey or Rylan may have a way.

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
No sir, the ones on my CCT were fine but I’m not sure on the history of them on the Hard-Ball. Years ago, some Victory owners complained the Dzus fasteners failed and their saddlebag fell off as they were riding. I don’t know, but I highly suspect, the fasteners weren’t properly secured in many of those cases.

As a cheap but effective alternative, many, including me, removed the Dzus fasteners and replaced them with either a bolt or a knob with a threaded shaft.

I don’t know when but at some point Polaris stopped using the Dzus fasteners and started using heavy bolts. My CCT has the saddlebag speaker kit. When I installed that kit I also installed the same heavy bolts Polaris used.

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
You could use a piece of stainless wire for reassurance even though you had to use a mallet to drive it home ( completely seated ) I think it should be fine and is highly doubtful it would ever pop off. I imagine you cleaned out the tank as best you could, btw, how dirty was it & how clogged did the filters appear after 10 years? About unlocking the features on the tach, Noe, Corey or Rylan may have a way.
I will go back in and wrap stainless wire around the pump and the filter housing to add a bit of mechanical retention.

In hindsight, the fuel filter was fine. 10 riding seasons and 36K miles and it looks good. It’s been on my work bench drying out for the last couple of days. It’s not hard or crusty whatsoever. It’s a slight yellow/gold color but there’s no way to know what color it was when it was installed at the factory. The oem filter I installed is more orange than white. The filter on my fuel pump assembly is white.

I purchased a CR Speedometer Unlocking calibration card from a dealer that had one in their inventory. It should arrive either tomorrow or by Tuesday. I’ll take the Tri Ovals calibration card along with the speedometer unlocking calibration card to my dealer next week to get both things downloaded. The temperature sensor harness shipped today from www.victorypartspro.com so I’ll install that next week as well.

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
I will go back in and wrap stainless wire around the pump and the filter housing to add a bit of mechanical retention.

In hindsight, the fuel filter was fine. 10 riding seasons and 36K miles and it looks good. It’s been on my work bench drying out for the last couple of days. It’s not hard or crusty whatsoever. It’s a slight yellow/gold color but there’s no way to know what color it was when it was installed at the factory. The oem filter I installed is more orange than white. The filter on my fuel pump assembly is white. I will no longer replace the CCT or the H-B fuel filter at 30K mile intervals.

I purchased a CR Speedometer Unlocking calibration card from a dealer that had one in their inventory. It should arrive either tomorrow or by Tuesday. I’ll take the Tri Ovals calibration card along with the speedometer unlocking calibration card to my dealer next week to get both things downloaded. The temperature sensor harness shipped today from www.victorypartspro.net so I’ll get that installed next week also.

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
With the Tri Ovals and the Lloyds air filter installed, should I disconnect the O2 sensors until I get the Tri Ovals fuel map download?

· Registered
4,503 Posts
With the Tri Ovals and the Lloyds air filter installed, should I disconnect the O2 sensors until I get the Tri Ovals fuel map download?
No, you should have Noe do a remote maximus tune and be done done, kinda! I say that because it is what we all tell everyone, same as you guided me to do and with maximus tune I have zero regrets

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
A Maximus tune would be great but I'm not in the position to spend $750 for it. When I bought the Tri Ovals kit it came with the Polaris calibration card for the dealer to download a new fuel map on the bike.

Yes, I know the Polaris Tri Ovals download fuel map isn't 'the best' that can be done. Not by a long shot. But it's certainly better than not making any adjustment after installing the Lloyds air filter and the Tri Ovals. The Polaris download tune simply can't be 'the best'. Mostly because it has to meet EPA standards which is something a dyno tune or a Maximus tune doesn't need to consider.

Since I already have the Tri Ovals calibration card I may as well use it. It came in the all black Tri Ovals kit along with the Victory Performance air filter ($400 OTD). I have two of those air filters, new and never installed on my parts shelf. I chose to install the Lloyds air filter instead.

That's why I'm wondering if I should disconnect the O2 sensors until I can get the Tri Ovals fuel map downloaded.

Much more important: have a safe and a very Happy New Year.

· Registered
4,503 Posts
@Chattanooga_Mark I’m just trying to do for maximus what slick does for spectro lol, that’s a great question for noe but since it was designed to work together…I’d think not to disconnect

• Winner
Reactions: Chattanooga_Mark

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
My thought process is to disconnect the O2 sensors until I can get to the dealer for the Tri Ovals fuel map. Prior to going to the dealer, I'd re-connect the O2 sensors. I know the bikes are lean from the factory and adding the Lloyds air filter and the Tri Ovals would certainly lean it out further.

· Registered
4,503 Posts
Doh, holy crap I Had a homer moment, yes with the llyods filter & tri ovals I would disconnect the O2’s until I got the flash

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Doh, holy crap I Had a homer moment, yes with the llyods filter & tri ovals I would disconnect the O2’s until I got the flash
I figured so and I disconnected them this afternoon. I’ll be on a long ride tomorrow which I’m really looking forward to. Not much highway, some big mountains and some small mountains.

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Well, it may be time to make a move.

Option 1a estimated at $531, I found an S&S Stage 2 Cam Kit, nos at a dealer for ($471). If I installed the cams myself my total out of pocket would be $471 plus 30 minutes ($60) of dealer time to download the calibration card ECU tune.

Option 1b estimated at $531, buy the S&S kit, install their Air Diverter air filter horseshoe and get the calibration card ECU tune. Install the cams if/when I decide to. I have two brand new Victory Performance Air Filters on my parts shelf.

Option 2 estimated at $750, Purchase a Maximus tune for $750 and call it a day. Continue with the Lloyds air filter and the Tri Ovals. The Hard-Ball will have the all black Tri Ovals for the duration.

Option 3 estimated at $1,442, Purchase Lloyds cams ($575), likely DR/501 since they work so well in my CCT. Purchase a PCV ($450), a Lloyds Timing Wheel ($167) and then get a dyno tune. I'd guess a dyno tune at Indian of Charlotte (Lloyds) would run about $250. This is absolutely NOT going to happen.

Option 4, estimated at $60. Do nothing and just get the Tri Ovals ECU tune with the calibration card that came with them. Total out of pocket is 30 minutes at the dealer for about $60.

Right now the Hard-Ball has the O2 sensors disconnected, a Lloyds air filter and Tri Ovals mufflers. I'll reconnect the O2 sensors when I get the Tri Ovals downloaded ECU tune at the dealer.

The Speedometer unlocking calibration card came in the mail today. I'll get both downloads done on the Hard-Ball as soon as work, weather and time allow.

· Registered
3,658 Posts
Option 5. Buy the 501s, install yourself and get a remote Maximus tune. You know you wanna do it. :)

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 · (Edited)
That would be at least $1,325.

There are too many other things I want to get for the Hard-Ball.

A CCT heated seat, a CC/CR/CCT rear wheel, LED driving lights, a J.W Speaker Adaptive 2 headlight, a Mo-Door garage door opener and a 3 piece FOBO 2 TPMS to name a few. By the time I get these items it will likely need new tires.

· Registered
648 Posts
They handle dirt roads surprisingly well, with the long travel suspension making it surprisingly comfortable while doing so. The Hard Ball bars brings your weight forward, and also let's you stand up on the floor boards for better control in sand. And if you stuff it up and drop it, the crash protection is very well engineered. Hard Balls have the extra advantage of having an easy to touch up paint job.
2 excellent dirt road machines, that tackle the dirt in a similar manner.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
4,503 Posts
a 3 piece FOBO 2 TPMS
I’m extremely happy with my Sykik 3 sensor tpms, I wanted a system with its own monitor so can more easily monitor the pressures without having my phones screen cluttered. Very pleased with the product, the customer service is phenomenal, have only had to replace the shocks sensor battery once ( due to the shock pressure constantly changing as your riding ) since Aug 2020, the monitor maintains its charge for a very long time ( easily a month ) & can be charged while riding & using the system. Not bad for $60

· Registered
4,317 Posts
Unbelievable:

I’m in Louisville, KY today working with an account. It’s a long round trip day from Chattanooga. The appointment went well and also quick. So I open up the Victory Motorcycles webpage to see who used to be a Victory dealer in the area.

Yamaha of Louisville- sure why not, it’s on my way towards home as well. They didn’t have anything Victory showing except a Victory sign over their Service desk. The woman behind the counter, Inge, couldn’t have been more pleasant. So I asked her if she knew anything about the Cross Roads speedometer upgrade. She knew right off they couldn’t buy new cards from Polaris but she writes down three dealer’s the Polaris system shows have them in stock. That’s fantastic! Too bad my local dealer didn’t know this.

As Inge was paging through the 2016 Accessories Catalog for the speedometer upgrade item number, she stopped at a page with the Tri Ovals. I mentioned to her I had a nos all chrome set that Leaders was blowing out years ago. We chatted a bit about how silly it was for them to sell them so cheap. I asked Inge if by chance the all black Tri Ovals could still be ordered. Inge looks up the item number and says “no, but our system shows we have a set in stock.” I jokingly said, great, for the same $200 Leaders blew them out for?

Inge goes to the Parts room to confirm if they actually had them. She quickly returns with a never opened, slightly shelf aged box of all black Tri Ovals. We opened the box and sure enough, everything is present. The Polaris Victory Performance air cleaner, a calibration card, instructions and two separate boxes with the mufflers.

Inge - “You need to buy a lottery ticket!”
Me - $200?
Inge - No, then after typing on her computer and saying they were likely in the eBay pile. She says $450?
Me - $350?
Inge - $400?
Me - out the door?
Inge - Sure, I can make that happen.

Like I said, unbelievable! A nos Victory Cross bike set of all black Tri Ovals.

Oh yea, I’ll be buying a lottery ticket on my way home. I really love the aesthetics of the Tri Ovals on a Victory.
What a story!!!
That's great.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts