VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've wanted a second bike for quite some time. I vacillated between a Boardwalk, a High Ball, a Hammer, a Cross Roads or a Moto Guzzi Eldorado 1400. I've only had my CCT since March of 2013. I absolutely still love the Victory Cross Country Tour, a lot. I've never owned a motorcycle this long. I also have no plans whatsoever to sell it, trade it off or anything like that. It's a keeper and has been since day one of owning it. So now what, what second bike to get once opportunity and preparedness meet. About 3 years ago I bought a new in the box Cross Roads driving light kit, 'just in case'.

Between the various other Victory models, I ended up thinking having another Cross bike would make it easier on my Parts Shelf. Plus, with the tendon damage in my right hand, I really do look to engage cruise control after about 15 minutes. I rode mostly Moto Guzzi bikes for several decades. The only model I'd consider would be the Eldorado 1400. Like Polaris, Piaggio (who owns Moto Guzzi) killed off all the 1400 models in favor of their new at the time 850 models. No thanks, no thank you, a lot. I also have zero interest in their newest bike, the V100. So, I mentally pulled the plug on another Moto Guzzi. Not now, not likely ever at this point.

You may have noticed a 2013 Hard Ball for sale on the forum for a month or so. I didn't actually see it until after a couple of weeks. A little banter back and forth with the seller and then I sent him a private message with my contact information. Soon afterwards we spoke on the phone and talked about the Hard Ball. Today I went to the bank to get the cash. Saturday he'll ride the Hard Ball to Memphis and I'll drive out their with a dear brother. We'll meet, I'll see the bike up close for the first time and if it's as expected, money changes hands, the title gets signed and I ride back on a 2013 Victory Hard Ball. I'm very excited about the whole thing. The seller seems like a wonderful gentleman and I'm anxious to meet him in person. He's the second owner and as far as is known, the bike is stock except for the windshield and the passenger backrest/luggage rack. The only pause I had was the ABS light stays on. But this happened to my CCT twice and the 'cure' was a new ABS sensor. I have one on order and it will be in this week.

I'm pretty sure I've watched or seen parts of every YouTube video that has Hardball, Hard Ball or Hard-Ball in the title.

Here's the link to the bike in question: 2013 Hardball

So, after nearly 10 years of Cross Country Tour ownership, I find it a bit odd I still have a few questions about the Hard Ball. So here goes:

- Can anyone tell by the pictures if this Hard Ball has the Short, Mid or the Tall windshield? I've only ever sat on one Cross Roads and I don't remember what, if any, windshield it had on it. I'm only 5'11" and the pictures make the windshield seem very high.

- Does anyone have a good set of Cross bike mag (non spoke) wheels they may be looking to sell? I literally travel the western half of the US for work so shipping 'may' not have to be an issue.

- What's the proper spelling of the name? I've seen it written Hard-Ball, Hardball and Hard Ball.

- Does anyone have a factory Cross Roads heated grip kit they're looking to sell? I currently have both new heated grips on my parts shelf and I'll also install the Cross Roads driving light kit I have. Therefore, all I really need should be the heated grip switch and the wiring harness that goes from the switch to the headlight wiring. I suspect the CCT parts should work if they're still available.

- Does anyone have a pdf of a sales brochure that included the Hard Ball or the accessories Polaris ever offered for one? The only Victory Accessory catalog I have is from 2017 and there's no mention of the Cross Roads let alone the Hard Ball.

- Was the dark red seat a factory accessory for the Hard Ball like it was for the High Ball?

- I may install the steel Witchdoctor's skid plate on the Hard Ball as well. I removed it from my CCT because it induced a vibration at 3500 rpm in 6th gear.

Your input, ideas, suggestions etc., as always, are welcome.

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Cross bike wheels usually sell on Facebook anywhere from $100-300. Usually with no rotors or sprocket. Far as I know those should be same and swap over from spokes but check the parts diagrams.
You can also email Vic werks guy and see what he has.

Standard cross bike wheels with red highlights on the normally silver bits to go with the little bit of red on the hardball? 🤷‍♂️ :unsure:

· Registered
3,658 Posts
I have nothing to offer re: your questions but always liked the HB and congrats for getting it (seems like it will work out just fine).

we expect a full review after you have her for a short bit.

· Registered
1,407 Posts
Congrats on the new ride Mark!

Reactions: Chattanooga_Mark

· Registered
51 Posts
hey Mark, so looking at those pictures, while its harder to tell, it looks like the standard Cross Roads windshield that I had on my old XR. I'm 5' 11" and that windshield sat a little lower than eye level on me.
if memory serves, i believe the red seat was an option.
for the rims, you might want to have a look some of the facebook marketplace or facebook victory groups. but definitely do your research if you go that route because there has been a huge spike in scammers on there.

· Registered
2013 Cross Country
675 Posts
Found a catalog but it can't be downloaded: Victory 2013 by Iegor Kolosenko - Issuu

- Can anyone tell by the pictures if this Hard Ball has the Short, Mid or the Tall windshield? I've only ever sat on one Cross Roads and I don't remember what, if any, windshield it had on it. I'm only 5'11" and the pictures make the windshield seem very high.
Looks like there were 3 sizes, Tall (+3), Mid (???) and Short (-3). Not sure that that helps you though.

- Does anyone have a good set of Cross bike mag (non spoke) wheels they may be looking to sell? I literally travel the western half of the US for work so shipping 'may' not have to be an issue.
I have a front rim if you are interested.

- What's the proper spelling of the name? I've seen it written Hard-Ball, Hardball and Hard Ball.
Appears to be "Hard-Ball"

- Does anyone have a pdf of a sales brochure that included the Hard Ball or the accessories Polaris ever offered for one? The only Victory Accessory catalog I have is from 2017 and there's no mention of the Cross Roads let alone the Hard Ball.
Scroll down on the link above, there are some other docs posted that may be for what you are looking.

· Registered
2013 Cross Country
675 Posts
Found some more info on the windshield (but note that I found this as listed for the CR):

Short: 29.78 H x 23.5
Mid: 32.74 H x 23.48
Tall: 35.61 H x 23.48

• Informative
Reactions: Bikesofbrads

· Registered
2013 Cross Country
675 Posts
For the record, I was today years old when I learned there was a Hard-Ball. I guess I always saw the name and thought High-Ball.

So other than the handlebars, what's the difference between the CR and the Hard-Ball?

BTW, it does not look like there was a red seat accessory for the Hard-Ball.

Here is another link that might help: Victory Accessories 2015 by Chris Lan 蓝祖彬 - Issuu

• Informative
Reactions: Chattanooga_Mark

· Registered
3,658 Posts

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Found a catalog but it can't be downloaded: Victory 2013 by Iegor Kolosenko - Issuu

Looks like there were 3 sizes, Tall (+3), Mid (???) and Short (-3). Not sure that that helps you though.

I have a front rim if you are interested.

Appears to be "Hard-Ball"

Scroll down on the link above, there are some other docs posted that may be for what you are looking.

Thank you for this.

Doh! I was just in IL last week. Yes, please let me know about your front rim.

· Registered
51 Posts
So other than the handlebars, what's the difference between the CR and the Hard-Ball?
think it was the spoked rims on the HardBall and the handlebars and paint scheme. but otherwise, i am pretty sure they were pretty much the same machine...

· Registered
648 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've watched or seen parts of every YouTube video that has Hardball, Hard Ball or Hard-Ball in the title.

Here's the link to the bike in question: 2013 Hardball

Your input, ideas, suggestions etc., as always, are welcome.
Congratulation Mark, you know how I feel about them. The correct name is Hard-Ball, Im just lazy on the phone keypad.
PM me if you can't find pdfs of the sales booklet and accessory catalogue and I'll try scanning them from the paper ones.
You will notice a real feeling of lightness compared to the CCT.
Without a screen, at 6'2" I find the airflow over the headlight and speedo to be absolutely smooth, with no turbulence at any speed I've reached. This was a big difference to the CC the dealer leant me for a week.
Differences from the CR? Well you will feel taller than 5'11" when you ride it!
The few physical changes, High Ball bars, wire wheels, no screen or fairing stock, no chrome, matte black paint with matte red pinstripes and for me, the killer touch, matte white logo, give a big change in on road attitude.
The original promo video, the one that starts rattle rattle rattle, summed up the bike perfectly.
Consider leaving the front wire wheel on, and getting the rim sealed. The rims have the raised bead retention lips that keep a tubeless tyre in place, they only need sealing up around the spoke nipples. Change the back one, it can't be seen anyway.
Not sure what the production run on them was, but as a 1 year only model they are quite rare. Less than 50 in Oz.
Of any bike Ive owned over the last 50 years, it gets the most impressed comments from the public.
I hope you love it, the price looked good.

· Registered
1,845 Posts
For the record, I was today years old when I learned there was a Hard-Ball. I guess I always saw the name and thought High-Ball.

BTW, it does not look like there was a red seat accessory for the Hard-Ball.

Here is another link that might help: Victory Accessories 2015 by Chris Lan 蓝祖彬 - Issuu
To confuse you more, High-Ball is the steel frame black Victory with apes and spokes.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

Hard-Ball is the cross bike version which is like blacked out cross roads.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts