New Oil FYI for Vics?? | Page 4 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

New Oil FYI for Vics??

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by El_Spanky, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Jeb27

Jeb27 Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Vision 2014
    By the time we get done reading all this crap we're going to be petroleum chemists! :banghead:

A SIDE NOTE! You're shitting me, right? :rofl2:

2. Jeb27

Jeb27 Well-Known Member

Victory Vision 2014
    Babble! So according to you, I should go back to full synth and blow another clutch?! There's something to be said for experiential knowledge. You lube your way, I'll lube mine.
    :naughty:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. s-glide76

s-glide76 Member

15 Victory CCT, 15 Triumph Scrambler, 97 Electra Glide, 76 Superglide, 06 Kaw KLR 650..
    My previous post was taken from an Amsoil page.
    It's not the synthetic oil causing the clutch to slip, it's the additive package in the oil. Make sure the oil your using has a JASO rating of MA, MA1 or MA2.
    JASO is a grading system for motorcycles using 1 oil for motor, trans and clutch.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Jeb27

Jeb27 Well-Known Member

Victory Vision 2014
    Thanks for clarifying, I'm sure there's some bias in that. I will not experiment again with any oil and blow another clutch. I use Vic semi synthetic oil, that's it. It works for me and my clutch is rocksolid. Some people DO have success with Amsoil, I am not one of those people.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  5. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    Hey what do you know? The Victory oil I buy and use has the perfect additive package, the proper JASO rating, and just so happens to be getting less expensive every year!

Nobody will ever convince me to switch oils for my bike. If someone gave me an entire case of brand-X to try for free, I would simply sell it and buy Victory oil. I am hard headed and often times once my mind is made up the story is over. (Can I use the I'm German/Dutch mix excuse?) Post statistics, blab about your personal experience and how you're saving $10 an oil change, or how you save even more because you can ride 10,000 miles between changes due to the fact that the oil is just that good. Nothing will get me to pour anything other than Victory oil in my bike.

Feel free to file this under "duh".

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. mgw750

mgw750 Member

2011 Cross Country
    I have been using spectro golden 4 20w40 in my cross country over the last 2 oil changes, so far so good. The bike shifts much better with this oil, dosent quiet down the valve train any but Im really pleased with the way the bike shifts. The bike shifted well with the vic oil too but the vic oil seem to give up the closer it got to 3000 miles and wouldn't shift as nice as it did when new. The last oil change with the spectro went over 4000 miles and shifted as well as it did when new. If you want to see how badly a vic transmission will behave put some Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil in it, my vic trans didnt like that crap, shifting became notchy and would jump out of 6 gear a lot. Changed the oil back to vic oil and then it shifted fine, amazing. I have tried amsoil and mobil 1 v twin in both my vics but the clutch slipped with both.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    New people !

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jeb27

Jeb27 Well-Known Member

Victory Vision 2014
    Old thread !

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Old topic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Roadkill

Roadkill Roadkill

Victory Can-Am Honda
    +As you can see on page 4 of the 2008 Technical Service Bulletin, AMSOIL Motorcycles are JASO MA2 rated. The new MVI 20W-40 Synthetic V-Twin Motorcycle Oil is as well. (AMSOIL's AHR SAE 60 Synthetic Heavy Weight Racing Oil is JASO MA.)

If you want to grasp clutch functionality and lubrication impact, read the attached at your leisure.

Ride on.
    Roadkill

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Jeb27

Jeb27 Well-Known Member

Victory Vision 2014
    Looks interesting, I will read it, but I still won't switch. It costs money to experiment. That can be fun...if you have deep pockets and time you want to spend not riding and waiting for your clutch to be replaced at a dealership. I have absolutely NO desire to become a petroleum chemist. We all choose what we want to use. I fail to understand why people must continue to push their opinions on the world...unless of course there's something in it for them, $, or they are just a control-freak with OCD.

nonplused |-:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Jeb. Until now I would say I never disagreed with a thing you have posted. But .............. I don't think anyone has pushed any products. If anything it appears that some just have a Hard on for dismissing Amsoil as a choice for their bike.
    RK and others including my self are just pointing out that the classifications of Amsoil exceed all the requirements of a true MC wet clutch compatible oil.
    To me it seems the same very few respond to these Vog oil threads with the same opinions thread after thread.
    There are so many out there that have had tremendous success using it. Others blame it for their mishap with a clutch. Small #s I assure you. Vic clutches are the weak link and I have seen plenty of them fail even using Vic oil.
    Fact is ...... I get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jeb27

Jeb27 Well-Known Member

Victory Vision 2014
    I read the write-up...published by Amsoil I might add, and found it informative. I do not disagree that many people have used it with good success. I wish I could trust it more because when I was using it, it did make my transmission shift so much smoother. I am going by feel here, and I know that I don't get the extra tug from the Amsoil that I get from Vic semisynthetic oil, and that's the bottom line for me. I understand that's just my opinion. I was lucky with the first clutch, it was partially my fault, and the Amsoil didn't help, and it was replaced for free by the dealership, they were very nice to do that. The second one went because I changed the oil after the fiber plates had already been saturated in Amsoil... So that clutch pack got replaced fresh and new soaked in Vic semi synthetic oil. Although I can still make it slip in fifth and sixth gear at 6K it holds tight for the most part. Too much power trying to get to the ground. Lloyd is building me a clutch now with one extra fiber and plate (normal size, not the extra fiber and plate package that Barnett Billet sells), backing plate Barnett billet heavy duty spring and variable clutch plate. ( The clutch structure has to be modified to allow for these two extra plates and fibers) It's his recipe. He uses this in his Vision and claims it doesn't slip at all. Rollin' Fast is putting the same clutch system into all their BB builds. I really enjoy experiencing the FULL power of my motorcycle to its fullest extreme... I paid for it, I want to play with it, without incident! I feel I needed a more powerful clutch to enjoy this and I trust the Vic semisynthetic oil more than Amsoil. To each their own. When all my new upgrades are reassembled and retuned and I try out the new clutch I will post the results. Thanks for the input Gentelman.

Jan :)

14. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Can't say as I blame you. With all that you have done and the power you are putting down and your past experience The Vic oil would be my choice as well. I would most definitely be dumping it every 3000 miles at the least.
    Good luck This time around.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jeb27

Jeb27 Well-Known Member

Victory Vision 2014
    Every 3K for sure! :)