VOG Forum banner

New Mexico bike shops

476 3
Hey guys, I've been reaping the benefits of this forum for the last few months since I bought my 2014 Highball and have been doing some basic maintenance that the previous owner either didn't do, or did improperly. I have reached the limit of my knowledge and am looking for a reputable shop within 100 miles of me. I'm in Red River, NM and it seems like every "bike shop" near me is either shoddy, exists purely to gouge the tourists, or a lovely combination of the two. I had to take the bike to Colorado (130 miles) just to get new tires. I'm specifically curious about adjusting the clutch cable. The previous owner over tightened every single bolt I've put a wrench to, and I'm fairly confident they did the same to the clutch cable. I have checked every clutch thread and video on youtube i can find, and it seems to confirm this, but i'd really rather not play fast and loose with a critical driveability component, as it were.
Reactions: Flyboy
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Welcome to the VOG home to insanity and a wealth of knowledge.
Try Indian of Albuquerque. I'm pretty sure they still work on Victory. Was up there a year ago and they were working on them then. Seemed like a nice shop.
Clutch adjustment is really straightforward. Way easier than most motorcycles I've owned.
Adjusting the old "mousetrap" clutch booster on a 50's Panhead was the absolute worst.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Welcome chaser90 from southern NM. I think normthenomad is correct. However when I spoke to them a few years ago I said, well it wasn't nice. They had a real attitude about my Anniversary and Victory in general, real A holes. But that was then so??? Too bad.

In Las Cruces there's a Polaris Victory dealer that's ok. But everything is order and wait.
I found a place in LC called Lanesplitterz. A local shop. Lots of HDs but work pretty much on everything. Jaeson, yes with an E, was excellent. They just put tires on my ride last week. They never even worked on a victory, but they certainly know their stuff and had no problems. Way better than Victory last time. They cleaned everything thoroughly. I'm gonna have them do what I can't for now on.

I know that's far, but just so you know. Good guys, honest work for honest pay. Fun too.

Hope that helps. Give a holler if you head down. Elephant Butte and this area are pretty nice riding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clutch adjustment is really straightforward. Way easier than most motorcycles I've owned.

So, the adjustment isn't the issue, I've figured out how to adjust it, it's just knowing what parameters to adjust it to..
I downloaded a service manual and the spec is 0.5-1.5 mm of play in the clutch.. one of the clutch adjustment videos shows more like 5mm of play? Regardless, where it's at now is SUUPER tight. At lower RPMs I can hear a "clunk" when I roll on and off the throttle, it sounds similar to a gear shift, which is concerning? at least, to me it is, my last bike was a Vulcan 900, so not exactly similar since it was water cooled.. or maybe its more similar than I think, I didn't work on that bike nearly as much as I have on my Highball

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.