New member with a few questions | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

New member with a few questions

Discussion in 'Victory High-Ball' started by cycler, Jul 21, 2021.

1. cycler

cycler New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Harley Davidson Dyna, Ducati 1299, BMW S1000RR, BMW S1000R
    Hi I just joined and wanted to know if anyone can answer a few questions regarding a 2012 Victory High Ball. I buddy of mine went down recently and is the process of rebuilding his bike. I suggested maybe he go with a radial Brembo brake caliper. Guys with Harleys who dont want to spend the money on inverted front ends with the capability of installing dual or single radial brake calipers buy a right and left or just a left axial to radial brake caliper bracket from a few different companies like Kraus Moto, The Speed Merchants etc etc.

Does anyone know of any companies that make axial to radial brake caliper brackets for Victories? The ones for Harleys are designed to accept a 108mm radial caliper. In the event no one makes one of these brackets. Can anyone let me know what size axial brake caliper fits on the left lower leg on a Victory High Ball. Could be a 40mm, 60mm or 65mm size caliper that mounts on the lower leg? I dont know much about Victories. If we were talking about Harleys, Ducatis, BMWs or Triumphs that would be a different story.

2. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Welcome to TheVog. I doubt the forks on the Highball are unique to Victory (Polaris) or the Highball model. Therefore you may be able to find a lower fork bracket that works with a radial mount. If the rotors are the same size. Just about anything is possible with enough time, research and money thrown at it.

But why? What is the end goal? Are you of the opinion that changing to a radial mount front brake caliper is the best route to take for a cruiser model like the Victory Highball.

Others with more direct knowledge of what it takes to make the exchange will be by shortly.

The most efficient way to increase braking power is to exchange the oem brake pads for Lyndall Gold brake pads. Front and back. Then perhaps change to an aftermarket rotor. Then, if your friend still wants more front end braking, exchange the conventional forks with a single brake caliper for a set of USD forks from the Kingpin, the Hammer or the Cross bikes. But at that point you're radically changing the looks of the Highball.

3. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    The single disc setup on the HB is quite capable. It will in fact stop as well as the dual setup on the Hamme s. Just not repeatedly, as in track duty.

The bigger issue is recognizing when the rear locks up and getting off of it.

I second the Lyndall pads.

4. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    Lyndall gold pads and a Galfer rotor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    Post up some pics

6. cycler

cycler New Member

He went down 2 weeks ago. So he has to change his bars, mirrors, grips, levers, top clamp, brake lever and a few small other parts. Before I changed the front end on my Dyna to the ODC Monza inverted front end. I has Racetech gold emulators with Racetech springs. And 13 inch Racetech rear shocks. Then two years ago I decided to convert my single brake caliper set up to a dual set up. I hated the single caliper on the Dyna. Before I converted to dual brakes I even had a PM 6 piston caliper which I wasnt happy with either. Yes I may be a brake snob LOL. But when you have a Street Glide with dual brakes as well as a Ducati 1299, BMW S1000R and BMW S1000RR with dual brakes. Having a single brake caliper on the Dyna doesnt feel great. My Dyna is a 2011 and I had the PM caliper on for 3 years. When I decided to pull the trigger on converting to dual brake I was going to buy a set of Brembo .484 axial calipers until I found out that Kraus Moto Co as well as a few other companies make these axial to radial brake caliper brackets where you can mount radial calipers. So I ordered a left and right one. I ordered a right Harley Low Rider black lower leg because the low rider had dual brakes. And powder coated my left lower leg and triple trees black. I ordered a black pearl dual lower brake line from Magnum shielding to replace the single lower line I had. Ordered a dual brake caliper hub from Performance Machine to replace the single caliper hub I had in my front PM wheel. And ordered a Harley 11/16th front brake master cylinder for dual brakes. Here is a pic of how the Kraus bracket looked on my lower leg with. This pic is also before I powder coated my chrome PM wheels translucent black

So my buddy asked me about a brake set up. And also asked me about getting an inverted front end. with dual radial brake calipers. I said if he was serious about an inverted front end he would need triple trees for a front end. I know a few companies that make complete front ends for Harleys like my ODC front end or Rebuffini where you do not need to buy any other parts because their front ends come plug and play. And I know a few companies that make triple trees for inverted front ends like Ohlins and Racetech for example. But I didnt know any companies that made inverted triple trees for Victories. After some research I found a company called custom triple trees that makes custom triple trees. And low and behold they already had designs for his Victory. My buddy saw 2 of guys in our MC that installed GSXR 1000 front forks on their Dyna's and used The Speed Merchants inverted triple trees and did a dual brake set up. He asked me whether he would buy a used set of GSXR 1000 forks. If that worked he wouldnt need any axial to radial brackets and just bolt a set of 108mm Brembo or whatever brake calipers he would choose. The owner of custom triple trees said that the GSXR forks might be a bit short but he would check. And I asked the if we ordered the triple trees could he make the top clamp have the same set up as a Harley . This way my friend could buy the same kick back risers by Kraus and pro taper bar like I have on my bike.

Today I found out that the mounting points on his lower leg where the his oem brake caliper mount to are spaced 2.5 inches apart. And the OEM axial harley brake calipers are spaced 2.75 inches apart. I could be wrong about the measurements because my buddy measured from bolt to bolt on the lower leg and I measured the mounting holes on an actual oem harley front brake caliper which is 2.75 inches. I will price out what a full front end with dual brakes will cost him, which I know will be more expensive than a Gixxer front end with custom trees. But as of now without actually getting proper measurements that kraus axial to radial caliper bracket may not fit. I also emailed Lyndall to see whether their rotors would fit a Victory. They made rotors for Indians. And from what I found out 2014 and newer Indian rotors will fit 2010 and newer Victories. Although not all of the Indians models rotors will fit Victories. I forgot which Indians were listed but that doesnt matter.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Great information, thank you for such a great post. I hope you can find what you're looking for.

8. cycler

cycler New Member

So here is a pic of what my Dyna looks like now as of yesterday. I attached a few pics. One of the pics is of a Kraus rear radial brake caliper bracket along with a right side radial Brembo High Performance HPK caliper that will be going on the rear. My distributor didnt have a single right side Brembo .484 black radial caliper like the right and left on my front. But if by some stroke of luck that the measurements I have for my buddies lower fork leg and oem Harley caliper is wrong. Then I'll return the Brembo caliper in the pic and swap it out for the right Brembo .484 radial caliper that comes in a set. And my buddy will use the left one.

Two years ago I build my twin cam motor up to a 110 with 10:8 compression, a 50mm Screamin Eagle throttle body, 5.3 injectors, polished ported and revalved my heads, had automatic compression releases installed and beehive springs, Baker 6 Speed Tapered Rolling Bearing Kit, Baker compensator sprocket, fre-freshed the tranny somewhat, Arlen Ness high flow black clear cover air filter, Woods 888 cams, S&S hydraulic lifters, S&S quickie adjustable pushrods, S&S offset forged rocker arms, S&S cam plate, S&S oil pump, Woods Offset rocker arm supports ,Screamin Eagle clutch plates, Bassani black Road Rage 2 mid length exhaust, AIM IV84 VP style lock out clutch, TTS tuner, swapped out the floor boards I installed a few years back to forward mid controls with Flo Motosports V3 foot pegs, Flo motorsports shift peg and then cut off the brake pad from my brake arm. Then drilled and tapped it so I could mount the Flo Motorsports brake peg. I had my PM wheels and all my motor covers powder coated translucent black. Painted the bike, swapped out my front 11.5 inch front PM rotors and replaced them with 11.8s in the front. And had the PM pulley and inner rotors powder coated translucent black too. Installed racetech rear 13 inch shocks with rebound as well as racetech gold emulators with racetech springs. Installed the elite mototech shorty brake lever and elite mototech easy pull clutch perch with shorty lever. I already had Arlen Ness mirrors, J&D customs front fairing, LED head light, Custom Dynamics wrap around turn signals on my forks, the PM wheels, Arlen Ness low profile smoked LED tail light, black with smoked lens Alloy Art fender strut turn signals, customs Dynamics module so my turn signals and tail light all worked together as run turn and brake lights. A year before that I installed the 14 inch black MX-Tbars ( I forgot the exactly company name) but got sick of them so I sold them last year and bought the Hardcase Performance 9 inch risers with a Protapers bar that had a rise of 3 1/2 inches with a 1.75 inch pull back. I had to lean forward a bit because the MX-Tbars I had, had a 3 1/2 inch pull back which was comfortable with the Corbin seat. The Corbin "The Wall" seat has a 7 inch back support but sits you back 2 inches. The plastic bib that goes the middle of the gas tank below the dash was removed. And the welded seam down the middle of the gas tank was ground down, bondoed. Then all the tins were painted.

Then last year I wound up selling my entire front end along with those Kraus axial to radial caliper adapters with the racetech rear shocks for $1600. I sold those parts to a dude in my MC who crashed his Dyna and bent his forks and triple trees. Surprisingly he didnt bend the neck. When he added up what a new set of oem forks, triple trees, low rider lower leg, powder coating, kraus brackets, racetech internals, racetech rear shocks would cost him along with the labor to install the racetech internals. He said Ill buy your set up. And then I installed the ODC Monza inverted front end along with the ODC 14.2 rear piggy back shocks, ODC turn signals on my controls, ODC GPR steering stabilizer adapter, GPR steering stabilizer, The Hard Case Performance parts I listed above, side mounted license plate, Leather Pros saddle bags, Bung King front and rear crash bars, Alloy Arts mid control linkage, Custom Cycle engineering front and rear motor mounts and top motor linkage, Performance Machine gas cap with LED fuel gauge dummy cap on the left side, performance machine XL grips, performance Machine horn cover, Denali compact horn and a black ignition switch.

And then October 2020 I decided I wanted a new black S&S 124 twin cam motor that had a 2 year warranty. But of course I needed the S&S oil line kit with oil pan because the oil lines are on the outside of the S&S. Six years ago you could have ordered a S&S twin cam, paid $200 more and the crank case would have been a Screamin Eagle case. This way you wouldnt need the S&S oil line system and save between $475-$575. When I decided to get the S&S 124 I had to put a list together of other parts I would need in order to make this bike bullet proof. This way parts wouldnt fail and break down like a domino effect because of the 124. My 110 motor only 3500 miles on it since the rebuild. But I have 4 other bikes that I ride which is why there was only 3500 miles on the rebuilt motor. I sold my motor, 6spd tranny that had the baker inner bearing kit, primary cover ( it was powder coated translucent black so it matched all the motor covers), throttle body, air filter, clutch basket assembly, baker compensator sprocket, inner primary chain, stock injectors, bassani exhaust, PM rear pulley, AIM IV84 VP lock out style clutch, starter, TTS tuner, ECU ( he gave me his. he took mine because it was tuned), Hard Case Performance risers, and Protaper bar. Its a good thing I ordered my S&S 124 and S&S oil pan/line kit in Jan because in Feb the retail cost of the motor went from $7280 to $7648. And the oil pan/line kit went from $565 to $600. Between December 2020 to June 2021 I ended up ordering the following parts
    1) S&S black 124 twin cam
    2) S&S oil pan/line kit
    3) Baker Grudge 6 spd reverse shift tranny
    4) Baker Armored attitude primary chain adjuster
    5) 6.2 injectors
    6) Trask clear high flow air filter
    7) Horsepower Inc 58-62mm black throttle body
    8) Evolution industries diamond 49T clutch basket assembly with chain
    9) AIM variable pressure plate kit
    10) Dark horse front motor sprocket
    11) Compufire black 1.6kw starter
    12) Stainless big engine full length Sawicki exhaust (full length was made for me)
    13) Kraus 10 inch 1.5 inch kick back risers
    14) Pro taper fat bar with 3.75 inch rise and 3 inch pullback
    15) Shorai battery
    16) Kraus gauge bucket adapter plate
    17) Big bear performance dual gauge buckets with cutout for indicator lights (dummy lights)
    18) Drag Specialties Speedo and Tachometer
    19) Guerilla cables split harness. Plugs into where the stock 5 inch speedo was in the dash. Then splits and is long enough to plug into the new speedo and tach
    20) Guerilla cables block off plate kit to allow a Harley cam cover plate to all bolt together so there is no hole where the 5 inch speedo was
    21) EK 3D 530 black/gold chain
    22) Sprox Superstealth aluminum/steel 53T tooth rear sprocket ( belt to chain conversion)
    23) Two bung king chain slider protectors
    24) Bung king sprocket pulley hub spacer
    25) Lyndall 13 inch left and right crown cut 9 spoke rotors
    26) Lyndall 11.8 inch rear crown cut 9 spoke rotor
    27) Brembo High performance HPK right side radial caliper for the rear
    28) Kraus rear radial caliper bracket
    29) Brembo spacers for calipers
    30) HHB rear sprocket lock system
    31) Thundermax EFI system
    32) ARP bolts
    33) Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta front brake master cylinder
    34) Brembo HPK cable clutch perch
    35) CNC Racing front brake reservoir and mounting kit
    36) Hogwerkz low profile smoke LED rear brake light with build in turn signals (other one burnt out. This one works with my alloy arts turn signals)
    37) Custom Dynamics black tail light base

And Im thinking of getting the Big Bear Performance all black dash cover to replace my current dash along with the Big Bear Performance ignition relocation kit to go where my horn is. Then move my horn.

Attached Files:

9. cycler

cycler New Member

So after searching everywhere for a axial to radial brake caliper bracket to run a radial caliper on a Highball. I didnt find any company that makes one. The Vtwin companies like Kraus and other that do make these brackets only make them for Harleys. You can fit a 108mm or 100mm radial caliper on those bracket. And a few companies make them for sport entry level sport bikes that between 250 to 500cc's. The ones making them for all Harley fork leg have a mounting distance of 69.1mm which is 2.75 inches. The mounting space on a Victory for leg is 63.5mm which is 2.5 inches. So I figured let me find a aftermarket axial caliper to upgrade on his bike. I contacted my Brembo , Nissin, and Tokico distributors. None of these companies make aftermarket axial brake caliper that can mount to a Victory fork leg thats spaced apart 2.5 inches or 63.5mm. They have 40mm, 60mm, 65mm, 69.1mm and I think 70mm. The only company that hasnt gotten back to me is Beringer. Their largest radial brake caliper is 130mm. Thats huge lol. As I was looking at the Beringer axial calipers for Harleys I noticed a few that had spacing slightly less. Maybe they do have something for a Victory. Beringer does specify to list the year make and model of the bike you are ordering. Im wondering if they make custom sizes since it always takes 4-6 weeks to get. Beringer makes a crazy double brake caliper that mounts to two brake rotors on one side as well as the other side. So you have 4 brake rotors and two calipers that are sort of double calipers.

I did find out that some 2014 and newer Indian wheels would fit some 2010 and newer Victories. The Indian wheels that fit Victories share the same mounting area for brake rotors. So I am searching the internet as well as Indian and Victory forums for any information that will let me know which Indian wheels fit Victories. If I can find the correct Indian wheel that fits the Victory Highball. Then I can order my buddy a 11.8 Lyndall round cut chrome/chrome front rotor and an 11.5 Lyndall for the rear. In the meantime I ordered him a Brembo 15RCS master cylinder for a 1 inch bar , Brembo mirror bracket, Brembo reservoir kit, black motorcorse reservoir that bolts into the 15RCS master cylinder. It looks amazing. I have a black one on order for myself. Here is a pic of a red one that I pulled off the internet so people can see. I also have a set of red ones on my Ducati but they are tear drop shaped and wrap around the top of the fork legs. And I ordered him the Lyndall front and rear Gold brakes pads. Monday I will order him a custom top clamp that accepts Harley style risers or bars.

After ordering him the 15RCS front master cylinder for a 1 inch bar. I decided to look up the size of the bars where the controls mount. Turns out a lot of people said that area is 7/8th inches. I made a post asking what the correct size is. If its 7/8th inches then when I order him the risers that I have on my Harley with the 1 1/8th inch bar that tapers to 7/8th inches. I will contact my distributor to change the 15RCS to fit a 7/8th inch bar. And order him the matching knockoff Brembo HPK cable clutch perch that Reactive parts in England sells. Either way the area where the controls and switches mount have to be 7/8th inches because thats size of what his oem controls mount to. If he wants custom bars made to his exact specs. Meaning the exact height, sweep, pull back, shape and thickness. There is a company called BRCustoms in upstate NY that makes any bar you can imagine. So if my buddy wanted a 1 1/2 inch thick bar with 7/8th inch mounting areas it can be done. The company isnt tht expensive either.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1