New member with a couple questions - Vision or Spyder? | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

New member with a couple questions - Vision or Spyder?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by horsepower, Feb 2, 2010.

1. horsepower

horsepower New Member

Been lurking on this forum for a bit. I love it because I am currently waffling between a Vision and Spyder. My wife won't ride my current bike with me and I doubt would ride on any bike. If I can get her to test ride a Spyder with me and she likes, the decision would be settled but if she still doesn't like it, I can't decide which. Does anyone know how the gas mileage compares between the two? Also if you don't mind, Andy, why did you decide to switch from the Vision to the Spyder. You have probably already addressed this but I couldn't find it. Thanks, hp

2. dsjr70

dsjr70 Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    08 Vegas Low x 2, Vegas LE # 001, Cross Roads LE # 001, High Ball, Vegas 8-Ball, Cross Country, Vision, Cross Roads
    The gas mileage seems to be about 15mpg difference. The Vision definetely wins in that category.

3. Gossamer

Gossamer Well-Known Member

Victory Cross Country Tour
    both of these are different vehicles that will garner you attention wherever you go. Big difference between a 2 wheel and 3 wheel vehicle as well.

4. h7wae14t

h7wae14t Well-Known Member

2009 Kingpin
    My wife seen the Spyder the other day and she loves it. Glad I got my bike first...love my two wheels! Next buy will probably be the Spyder so 1) she can ride with me on a seperate bike (although she has a M licence, she is hesitant to ride alone. 2) we can two-up on it using either one of us as the driver. 3) Have two kids, so all of us can ride...there seems to be a little squibbling between them sometimes when Dad takes one and not the other.

5. Andy

Andy Administrator Staff Member Moderator

1957 Flxible Starliner Bus and a 2014 Marathon Prevost Motorcoach
    Hi Horsepower and Welcome to the site.

For the gas mileage question, comparing the Spyder RT to touring bikes, I wouldn't consider the RT to be an economy vehicle. My mileage is up to 24 MPG and is getting a bit better with each fill-up. I'll be reasonable in my expectations on gas mileage and will expect it level off between 28 and 30 MPG as the engine gets fully broken-in.

While everyone has their own reasons for buying a specific model, I purchased the Vision when it was first introduced as I was drawn to it as it was "different" and incorporated quite a bit of technology when compared to other V-Twins. The "hook" for me was the seat height as at 26.5 inches as I could stand flat-footed when at a stop. Also, during the test-ride phase, it handled much easier than one would expect by looking at this huge bike. Once it was rolling, it handled extremely well and very nimble for a bike of this size. (I owned a Goldwing a while ago and was expecting the Vision to handle in a similar manner at slow speeds. I was pleasantly surprised with the Vision's slower-speed handling characteristics.)

I had many happy and trouble-free miles on the Vision. Yes, us early adopters of this bike had to go trough a period of a mysterious engine stalling issues that was solved by a Do Not Ride Recall of the ignition switch...but that's to be expected with any new product. Overall, while others may disagree, my opinion is that the Vision is that it's the best all 'round highway bike on the market today. It's amazing how the handling characteristics change by simply removing or adding the trunk.

I sold it in May as I'm one of those riders who rides with protective gear and once June arrives in the tropics (South Florida), personally, it's just too hot to ride in the Summer heat/humidity. Instead of it sitting for another Summer in the garage, I thought it best to sell it and then buy another Vision when my riding season returned.

A few months prior to my riding season returning, Can-Am introduced the Spyder RT. While I had been attracted to the Spyder GS/RS in the past, I wasn't a fan of its aggressive, sport bike-style riding position (low bars and rearward pegs). I've had some issues with my neck in the past and that position was not something I would feel comfortable with more than a half and hour at a time. Since the majority of my seat time is at highway speeds, while the original Spyder model would have been nice around town, it wasn't what I was looking for on the open highway.

Since the 2010 Visions were basically the same as the 2008 that I owned (yes, a few more optional features were made available such as ABS and Reverse and some new colors), and since the Spyder RT was a new, built from the ground-up bike...or more accurately, Trike, I decided to give it a try. So far, I haven't been disappointed with the RT. Yes, I'm back in the early adopter scenario again and that in itself brings with it its share experiences, I've learned that after you take the time to get to know its Y-Factor (two wheels in the front, one in the rear) characteristics, it can be ridden tamely or aggressively.

I can honestly state that the more miles I log on the Spyder RT, the more I'm enjoying it. It's a blast to ride and the slow-speed handling is in a class of its own. U-Turns are no-brainers and it's much more stable than I would have imagined. It's strange only having a brake pedal and not a hand brake and even stranger not having to put your feet on the ground when stopping/starting...but that's a feature I truly am enjoying. I'm still waiting for a few factory accessories and hopefully they will arrive and be installed within the next couple of weeks.

6. Candubrain

Candubrain Active Member

2010 FLHTK, previously 08 VV premium tour
    I've never been on a Spyder, but if you are long legged, you'll appreaciate being able to stretch out on the Vision

7. spider

spider OT-CAN

2014 Indian Chief Vintage # 718

Yea, and ya won't be on me any time soon if I can help it ! lol

8. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

Bikeless

Spyder is not a motorcycle. Motorcycles lean to turn.
    My wife doesn't like to ride much... that's a good thingif you think about it.
    I'm going riding.
    Where ya goin'?
    Ummm... South.
    When are you coming home?
    Don't wait up. I'll see ya Sunday night.
    Now, I don't have to wait for her, I don't have to carry her junk, and I don't have to pretend to listen to her either. If I have to pee, all I need is a tree... where her minimum bathroom requirement is a fast food restaurant. And best of all... No Whining!
    Get a bike with a solo seat.

9. Andy

Andy Administrator Staff Member Moderator

1957 Flxible Starliner Bus and a 2014 Marathon Prevost Motorcoach
    I've heard that the cutoff height for the Spyder RT is around 6'3". If you're taller, or very long-legged, you might have a problem with the grips hitting your thy (just above the knee) on a fully locked U-Turn. I'm guessing that at some point, there might be some risers coming...but so far, not yet.

For my height (or lack thereof), it's a very comfortable seating position. I'm able to use the side deflectors as foot rests when I want to stretch these short legs!

10. Candubrain

Candubrain Active Member

2010 FLHTK, previously 08 VV premium tour
    I've got too many beer in me right now to have an intelligent come back for this ....
    good one

11. randysfishing

randysfishing Active Member

2008 Arlen Ness Jackpot SOLD, 2012 Cross Country Tour Black

Do you like applesor oranges? Do you like two or three wheels? Test ride both and pick the one that better suits your needs. Try to get the wife on both but if not pick the one you like best. I would still pick the one I like bestbecuse I am the one riding it but thats just me.
    Good Luck

12. spider

spider OT-CAN

Andy, I sat on the RT at the bike show in January, it is really different that the base model, still a little small for me, but it fit a lot better than the original.

13. spider

spider OT-CAN

All good Brian, save it up for our spring visit, lol.

14. horsepower

horsepower New Member

I have test ridden the Vision and loved it. I've looked at Spyders but not ridden one yet. I am hoping to be able to include my wife in my riding but so far, she is mostly only riding on things she has to saddle first. Can't get her off a horse or on a motorcycle----yet.

15. Thumper

Thumper Member

Andy: The Spyder is an excellent choice and I'm sure that it will continue to grow on you. Two femaleridingassociates of mine have purchased Spyders and both love em! However, like you,one of them hasfound that the gas mileage isn't the greatest. She's averaging around 27-28 mpg -depending on her highwayspeed..