VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I finally joined TheVog after months of reading post and watching videos. My wife and I are in the market for a new bike and are agonizing on what to purchase. I bought a '01 Kawasaki Concours about 2 years ago (first bike) and love riding. Now that I am sure we want to start really touring it is time to look at a new or newer bike. We have looked at so many bikes and so much info it is mind boggling. We have checked out the HD Ultra and Street Glide, Goldwing, BMW K1200LT amongst others. (HD - everyone has one, Goldwing - not that old yet, BMW - No cool classic styling (cant see the engine)) We were leaning toward the BMW because it is very smoothbut then we saw the XC. Beautiful bike with the classic look. After checking out the XC and all we would want to add to it to have all the feaures we want,it seems that the Vision would be a better choice and have more creature comforts and would fit us better (We are both 5'11 and I am 230lbs and the wife is ....(I'm not tellin) So, now the Vision is our top contender.
I would appreciate any input you all may have as regards the Vision (good or bad) and also if you have ridden a K1200LT in the past but ride the Vision now I would like to know why you swithced and your comparison of the two.
PS. We are looking at the '10 Vision because we love the white color. We have time to decide since we will not be able to buy until the spring.
Thanks,
BreadmanRo

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

I have an 08 Vision love it.
The power windshield, heated seats and grips work great.
I have the GPS a great extra.
The power rideing two up isexcellent.
The radio reception is poor.
The paint is soft and scratches easily.
The tip overs are a blessing.
The cruise control is great .
Gas mileage is very good 43 miles a gal avg.
Ample cargo room, I have the bag liners theyreally help.
The HID light is great.
Test ride a Vision with your SO, I think you both will like the bike.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
+1 as Trek My 08 tour premium is the first touring bike ive ever owned and my first road bike in more than 25 years.
Im 6' and 230 and everything fits me real well. If you go with an ipod or XM radio you wont have to worry about the poor radio, (however ive heard the 2010s are much better).
Definitely ride everything you are considering. Also take the SO with you if you ride together a lot.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

09 TP best bike I haveever had and would buy another. Stock radio and speakers, use an MP3 player and think it sounds great. I do ride 2 up a lot but rather have the trunk off, will use it on long trips. I think the bike looks better and handles much better without the extra 50 pounds on the tail.
I did have the cams installed along with Lloyd's fuel controller. Not that it was not ballsy enough with stage one, but it just plain old night and day with them installed.
The only thing you will be surprised with is when you are cruising on the highway and it's windy, the bike will move on you. It might take a few times to get used to but lighten up on the grips and let the wind do it's thing. The bike has a ton of surface mass and it does catch the wind. It does lessen without the truck.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
156 Posts

This is a review I did a month or so ago and I have added some other information at the bottom as well about the HD Ultra Classic, BMW's and Goldwing's hope it helps:
A guy sent me a PM from here asking my opinion since getting my Vision 2 1/2 months ago...Kind of a follow up opinion question. I can't bvelieve I wrote such a long review for such a short period of time.
Here it is:

I will try to be as honest as possible as I do not want to convey any misconceptions about the Vision compared to the Road Glide! My Vision is the $hiT!!! (Pardon my French), I drool over it each time I ride and see it....

I love every aspect of the bike, I have added a couple of things getting ready for winter and safety. As far as comparing the RG to the Vision for the intangibles riding, handling, vibration, ease of operation, visibility, wind buffeting, riding comfort, etc....EVERYTHING on the Vision beats the RG by miles, even after all the after market studff I put on the RG. The dash instrumentation lighting is complete across the entire display, no shadows or dull areas, RG had all the corners almost impossible to see at night due to poor lighting and fogged over all the time, handling is a DREAM, corners, highway miles, truck turbulence, etc is less with the Vision compared to the RG...The power windshield is great too, when it's raining you can raise it and hide, when it's cool (40 degrees) you can raise it and keep the cold air off of you...but when it's hot out, just drop it to the low position and fresh air in the face, but doesn't bother my helmet...NO DIRTY AIR coming from under the fairing like the RG has.

For headlights I ALWAYS rode with my high beams on with the RG, as well as adding Motolights for more light, I thought they were not bright enough for me to be seen, day or night, well with the Vision, I have only used my high beams a few times when out I the country when no one is around, these lights are BRIGHT day or night, I honestly see my headlight illuminate street signs during the day when the sun is out, not always but sometimes. I have done several trips now that were 500 miles or better, I was NOT tired when I got to my destination and I wanted to do MORE, I cannot say that about my RG as after 200 to 300 miles on it I was worn out and sweaty in the crouch!

One thing I do like better on the RG than the Vision is the CB/radio handlebar controls, wearing winter gloves it is hard to hit the correct button on the CB controls (PTT, volume, channel) the RG had a better button configuration.

I have ridden Cherohala Skyway a few times since getting my Vision, live about 45 minutes away and I have noticed I can take turns twisties easier and faster (not trying to be a speed demon, just less effort and more grace) on the RG I would "average" about 35 to 40 MPH riding Cherohala, now I notice I can on the Vision without effort do 55 to 60 MPH....I haven't ridden the Dragon YET, because every time I get there; it is either raining on the way there or starts raining once I get on the Dragon...NOT FUN, and I WON'T DO IT!!! I might be crazy but I'm not STUPID! My Vision is great on twisties, I have only drug my floorboard once and that was on a round about near my house, haven't even come close on Cherohala Skyway, US 421 (The Snake), or Hwy 360 (good twisty)...Got a little carried away going through the round about as I took it about 50 MPH

I added a power outlet on the console to plug my heated gear into, yes I ride all year round, I bought the power outlet from Victory for $49 bucks, got home and did the install (they provided instructions that covered EVERY possible location (tour pack or console) even a template to center the outlet on the console) only part I needed that wasn't in the kit was a 11/16" hole saw, anyway, did the install and thought I would have to rob the factory power outlet from inside the console and wire it up to the new power outlet or parallel the connection. Well turns out the bike is already PRE-WIRED for this connection...Now that's forward thinking!!! Also while doing the safety project below I saw where the tour pack is pre-wired for a power outlet for the passenger.

I had cams and fuel controller installed a month ago, not that I needed the power but everyone was talking about how the cams gave the bike, SOUL!! Brother let me tell you, it gave it a SOUL a heartbeat and some wicked power, I am now turning 109 HP and 113 ft-lbs of torque!!! Stock it was +/- 82 HP and +/-102 ft-lb torque (not positive on stock torque)... My Vision will NOW SCREAM and that's not why I did it but it does...I hit 100 MPH getting on the Interstate this morning going to work in 4th gear BY ACCIDENT!! The MAIN reason I did the cams and this is TRULY the only complaint I have regarding my Vision, is the stupid back fire when decelerating. Before the cams it would backfire almost every single time I got off the gas. I talked to the wrench that did my cams and all the people on the Victory forums and they all say about the same thing. It is the IAC programming that Victory has set for the IAC, when you get off the gas, the software shuts down the fuel to ZERO not even a small tinkle is left so when the engine decels cold air comes into the pipes and you get a backfire, or something like that. The cams and fuel controller have all but eliminated the back fire issue, it happens occasionally but not every time now...

The item I added for safety was a Kuryakyn 4710 brake-run-signal module, the tour pack on the Vision has static lights, what the module does is allows a single filament bulb to work as a dual filament bulb, so originally when I applied the brakes only 2 lower lights came on indicating I was stopping, and when blinkers were applied only the appropriate blinker light would illuminate down low. With this mod my tour pack lights NOW, blink 3 times when the brakes are applied, the lights also, blink with the appropriate lower blinker, and I now have 4 lights in the rear for the hazards not just the two lower lights...Well worth $60 and 3 hours to install....Very straight forward...

So in conclusion, I LOVE MY VISION, I do not regret selling my HD RG and getting "Jane" (Yes everyone calls it a Jetson bike)...There is only ONE issue I don't like and that is the backfiring issue, I have reduced it and can control it with proper throttle responses but I shouldn't have to. The only things I miss about my RG are two little things, the fuel pump light, with my Vision I have to listen for the fuel system to pressurize, no biggie but still, I like idiot lights. Secondly the CB/radio buttons...Other than that I am SO GLAD I got RID of my Road Glide!!

Hope this helps and is not to long winded, I can't believe I wrote this much in an e-mail...but hey I love my Vision.
Also, I did a cost comparison between the HD Ultra Classic and the Victory Vision...To get the UC up to the same level of amentities it would cost OVER $7400 and that is only with aSE 103 motor kit...
While I was researching for a new motorcycle myself, I found several interesting thoughts about BMW's andGoldwing'sthe reoccuring theme on both those bikes was that they had FIXED foot position, they allow NO moving around in the saddle to get comfy...With the Vision you get 18" floorboards to where you can either lay out and cruise or sit up right and dig into the corners!!

Take care and ride safe!!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

I have riden the BMW 1200 and the 1300GT, I would prefer the 1300 over those two bikes because of the added lower fairings and off course the bigger engine. The BMW is a fine bike second to none and to me the only comparision between it and the Vision is a matter of personal preference.
The reason I didn't consider it for to long when looking for a touring bike is the seating position and ride height. Yep, it is going to whoop all over a Vision in speed with it's stock 160hp but I don't need hp to go touring.
Also, you will read allot of post about Victory lacking dealers, BMW has less of a showing (atleast in Florida).
To me it's all about comfort and convenience, the Vision and the Goldwing were the only two that matched up for me. The Vision won by default because it was 10k less then the GW and the new GW won't be out for another year (atleast).

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Test road a K1200LT, too refined, I got no pleasure out of it.
Came off a FLHTC and now own an 08 Vision, no problems, did 26,000Kms this summer

·
Registered
29 Posts

+1 on the 09 TP. Cams are ordered and will be in right after Xmas. Love my MP3. Just installed the Cee Baileys windshield and brake light kit. Order the lower wings right away. The right side can burn in the summer without them. I can ride all day in that saddle.
I came off a crotch rocket and could not be happier. Smoooth. No vibration here. Good range. Great lights. Great legroom. Corners like it's on rails.
I have reverse and don't regret spending the cash. Only use it once a week or so. Gives you flexibility in parking lots. Wish ABS had been available. I would have ordered it too.
Good luck!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Candubrain said:
Came off a FLHTC and now own an 08 Vision, no problems, did 26,000Kms this summer
Damn, thats allot of miles (kilometers)!!! Thank God for winters in Canada or you would pass me in no time...lol

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Candubrain said:
Damn, thats allot of miles (kilometers)!!! Thank God for winters in Canada or you would pass me in no time...lol
I'd give it a good go, but I think you are still #1 on distance

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
There were a couple of 10th Annys available last month. Great deal with all the goodies if you can grab one. Do a search of the site. The one I posted was in Branford, CT. Nice guys there. They were going to keep but changed their minds.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Candubrain said:
dsjr70 said:
Candubrain said:
I'd give it a good go, but I think you are still #1 on distance
I am, but you have a handicap... I have 11.5 months of riding time depending on hurricanes...lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

All,
Thanks to all for the honest opinions. We were down at our dealer and were going to teat ride but decided to wait (since we cant buy right now) But I think we are going to go down and test ride anyway. We tested a K1200LT last year and a HD Ultra a few months ago. To be honest I dont realy remember how the BMW rode. My wife wants to test ride the BMW and the Vision on the same weekend so they will be freash in our minds. I hope to do this in a few weeks. I guess I just hate putting a dealer through a test ride when I know it will be a few months before we pull the trigger. But I guess that's why they have test rides.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bubba said:
I do ride 2 up a lot but rather have the trunk off, will use it on long trips. I think the bike looks better and handles much better without the extra 50 pounds on the tail.
I have seen this comment a lot about the trunk. How difficult is it to remove the trunk? Also, Is there a backrest that is pretty simple to put on? My wife will not ride without one. And since she is pretty tall (5'11") the backrest has to be high enough to be comfortable.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
It will take a tad longer to put on and off at first. Make sure you take the plate holder off or you will scratch the trunk. Drilltwo holes in the bottom of the plate so you can access the two screws without having to take the plate off (I always found this time consuming). Girlfriend likes thebackrest better than the trunk.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Heres a quick mod i did on mine to make a straight shot to the bolts without a swivel on your extension. Simple to do and very time saving.

Once the cover is back on you dont even see it

I used a roto zip but anything will work. Even a file and a little extra time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.