New KP 8 Ball owner introduction | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

New KP 8 Ball owner introduction

Discussion in 'Victory Kingpin' started by Svtfiend, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Svtfiend

Svtfiend New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    08 Kingpin 8 Ball
    Hey! New member here, I finally got my hands on my first Victory over Easter weekend. I was dedicated to getting a KP and was lucky enough to find an 08 8 Ball for a good deal.

I had the awesome experience of riding it home on beautiful Wisconsin county highways for almost 4 hours on a 70+ degree day. I am absolutely in love with this bike! I'm blown away by the handling and love the power and gearing of the 5 speed. It's everything I imagined.

I'm not one to leave well and enough alone and have ordered plugs, wires, a timing wheel, a new front tire, oil and filters for two changes, 1/4 turn ring, 2" floorboard extensions(I'm 6'5"),and a throttle body boot. I do all my own work on everything I own and am a trained automotive tech. Wrenching and hot rodding bikes and cars is what keeps me sane-ish!

At just 20k miles with an unknown service history, what else should I be planning on replacing/inspecting to get her ready for some serious long distance riding?

At some point, I'll get bored with the power and get an intake and something to tune with, for now the bike runs good aside from the usual Victory pops when blipping, etc. I haven't checked to see what intake/filter is currently on the bike, but with the open pipes is it recommended to try unplugging the O2 sensors and seeing if there's any perceivable gains in performance or smoothness?

I'm also looking at adding some bags, and am wondering if the CR brackets are still available anywhere!? I ordered all my stuff from Witch doctor and didn't see them there. Otherwise I was considering having a friend fab some up once I have a set of bags in hand.

Thanks for your input!
    PXL_20210403_225615247.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Svtfiend

Svtfiend New Member

08 Kingpin 8 Ball
    I almost forgot! I also want to add a tachometer in the worst way!!! Where the heck can I find one!? I see they still sell the CR/CC tach kit but can't find the kit for the KP anywhere. What are my options here?

3. tyrfryr

tyrfryr Well-Known Member

Cross Roads Classic
    Welcome to the VOG, good looking bike, enjoy it.

Oil change, make sure the tires are good, (and not to old) check all rubber, (hose's, vacuum plugs, etc). Make sure battery cables are clean and tight and clean and lube the clutch cable ends. Should be good to go, enjoy your ride and be careful.

4. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Nice bike! My first Vic was a KP too. They hold a special place in my heart and I would love to have another one day.

For the tac check ebay or maybe some of the Facebook pages. I'm not on FB so somebody else will have to point you in that direction if you can't find it.

5. Svtfiend

Svtfiend New Member

08 Kingpin 8 Ball
    I got the WD 2" floorboard extensions, ME888 front tire, and the throttle ring installed so far. Still need to do the timing wheel, plugs and wires, TB adapter, and unplug 02 sensors.

I also ordered some Thunder Monster baffles to replace whatever baffles are in the the Shotgun exhaust right now, but whoever put them in last rounded out both Allen bolts so the exhaust might have to come off to extract.

I'm very impressed with the results of the throttle ring! Holy crap! The engine feels super responsive and snappy now. It takes off easier from a stop and I swear it makes shifting and low speed maneuvers easier as well. This should be on every Victory!

I've never had a bike with wide, low pro, radial tires and met my match when I tried to mount the front tire myself with tire spoons. I could not get the last 8 inches or so to flip over the lip. Once a local shop finished mounting I filled both tires with Ride On sealant for peace of mind.

Weather in Wisconsin is in the upper 50s all weekend so I am riding instead of working on it! Next week when it dips back in the 40s I'll get the timing wheel installed and see what else I have time for.

I've easily put 1000 miles on the bike so far, and I'm in love with everything about this bike. It's an absolute pleasure to ride. I've only ridden a few other big cruisers like this-VTX1800, C90, and a Stryker 1300. But this bike just fits me like an old baseball cap or pair of shoes. I couldn't have made a better choice.

There's some PCVs brand new on eBay for $299, I'm considering getting one of these and a ThirdGear intake before they're not available anymore. I'm about 5 hours from the Vic Shop.

• Like Like x 1
  6. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Oh man ..... 5 hours from Rylan Voss ? I would own a Victory also. Glad your diggin the Pin. They are great bikes. Talk to Rylan about cams before you go tuning that bike with a PC. He may have a canned map already to go to get you to a dyno. His Dyno !

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Svtfiend

Svtfiend New Member

08 Kingpin 8 Ball
    I just emailed him for a quote to do just that... Stay tuned.

8. Svtfiend

Svtfiend New Member

08 Kingpin 8 Ball
    PXL_20210418_172121607.jpg
    PXL_20210418_172133876.jpg
    PXL_20210418_172208948.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
  10. Svtfiend

Svtfiend New Member

08 Kingpin 8 Ball
    Rylan is on vacation until May 15th! He said to call him after that. This weekend I should have time to get my timing wheel, so at least I call have fun with that for awhile.

The first pic was the day I brought it home, these were with everything waxed this weekend. That license plate bracket is driving me crazy. I'm either modifying the stock one or getting something different.

11. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Check with Vic Baggers. They had a lay down plate kit. Also Witch Doctors still has a good assortment of accessories for Vic’s. @buywitchdoctors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    Nice looking Pin. For some reason the steel frames love to loose their side covers. I would double check all the grommets. New ones are cheaper and easier to find than that side cover.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    Great looking bike, as slick & wv said, you can also use lil shrink tubing to tighten up the posts that goes into the grommets or can drill a tiny hole & use a piece of wire or zip tie as added insurance on the side covers. Check them often, before & during your rides. You’ll only love it more as you make it yours. Congrats, nice buy

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Motorbikerx

Motorbikerx Well-Known Member

2010 XC
    Double check the year the tach was made for...We fitted a 2010 CR tach to a mates 2011 Vegas and witing systems are incompatible as after 2010 Vic went to the CANBUS System

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Svtfiend

Svtfiend New Member

08 Kingpin 8 Ball
    I continue to look everywhere for a Victory tach kit, FB, ebay, forums. I even messaged a few people with bikes for sale on FB to offer to buy the one on their bike. No luck. Might have to go aftermarket.