VOG Forum banner

New guy...I'm sure old question

2K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  NY mike 
#1 ·
Hey fam,
just took possession of a 16 Magnum! Absolutely beautiful bike!

Went to fill her up tonight and had gas spraying out as fast as I was putting it in there. the damn tank is so shallow that the gas splatters up and out.

What has anyone done to correct/minimize this issue? Pretty stupid problem to have on such a great bike

Thanks!

#3 ·
If you angle it so the nozzle tip is pointed toward the left side of the tank and toward the seat it isn't as bad, I also pump kinda slow but some nozzle triggers are 2 speeds: fast/off.

#4 ·
No joke. Some station pumps are not designed for motorcycles.

I can usually put the first 2-3 gallons in fairly quick, when empty. The last half I barely place the nozzle tip in the fill hole and go slow.

#7 ·
I have a '06 jackpot and found what helps is grabbing some paper towels from the windshield washer area at the pumps, roll them up then after placing the nozzle 1/2 in tank ( right side of center & directed to the 2/3 o'clock position) then wrap the rolled paper towel around the nozzle and cover the opening, I avoid the spray back. I too go with a half squeeze on the trigger. when done, just throw the towel into garbage. I'm hoping that someone will figure out an addon that can be inserted and stop the spray back.

#9 ·
On mine I replaced the God awful factory cap with a Ness model.
Fill it up from the left side and have the tip of the nozzle just below the edge of the inner hole and the handle resting against the left side of the top. This will place the gas directly in the right side of the tank. Run the nozzle at 1/2 to 3/4 until it clicks off for the first time then only top of the tank if the nozzle will allow you to fill slowly. If it will then you can get another gallon or more in there. I stop when the gas level reacts more quickly even when going real slow...about 1/2 way to 2/3 up the inner tube area after the bubbles subside.

#10 ·
When I bought my Cross Country back in late July I splashed gas at my first fill up. Then I filled up REAL slow. Drove me crazy.
Then I read here on the VOG that if you fill up from the left side, the side opposite the gas cap, things would work better when filling up. So I tried it. i couldn't believe the difference.

#11 ·
Hmm, even in my old KP I fill up sitting on the seat and point the nozzle towards the front right of the bike. I can generally go full bore for 3/4 or so before i have to start backing off. I do agree that the light switch gas pumps suck.. when there's so much pressure on the line that the gas comes out like a firehose or not at all.. they suck.

#12 ·
#14 ·
Saw this a few years back, and thought it might not be a bad idea. But I'm kind of lazy sometimes, so knew it would sit in the saddlebags, never used. Just try to take it slow.
McCuff® "No Splash, No Spill, Motorcycle Fill" Everyone Wants One! No Clicking Nozzles! More Miles from Tank! Top-Off EZ, Unique Motorcycle Biker Gift Fathers Day! Gas up your motorcycle with ease!
I've known a few with this over the years. Unfortunately, I've also run into pumps that DON'T auto shut-off. With this thing loaded, you won't know until it's all over the place anyway. I like to see my gas. Another pump problem are the boots that you need to hold back. Found that if you wrap a paper towel around it, it will hold the boot back so you can still see what's going on.

#19 ·
If I never heard that song again, it will be too soon. I've always pictured a homely freckle-faced red head.

#20 ·
  • Haha
Reactions: CPT PYRO
#21 ·
As others have said. Always Fill from the left side.

***Put the pump down into your tank AT THE 1 O'CLOCK position.***

After its almost full, pull the pump out to the top of the cap opening and slowly top off the last bit to the bottom base of the inner cap lip.

WW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.