VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are fork mounted the way to go? I'm not so sure. A couple years ago, I made a set like others have, and while it did improve the buffeting some, I wasn't convinced. The biggest problem for me was that it trapped too much heat around the motor, and it made it hot to ride. The other problem was that in windy situations, the deflectors caught enough more wind that I didn't like how it felt going down the road, as it would cause movement of the forks.

As I was riding home on my last road trip, I did what many of us do on the last 150 miles, and that is dream up ways to make the ride more comfortable. I noticed that when I put the heels of my hands on my knees, next to the tank, with my fingers pointing up and forward, that Immediately I noticed the buffeting disappear, and I'm riding in a smooth pocket of air @75 MPH. And visualizing the path of the air that my hands were blocking, it became apparent to me that the fork deflectors don't work that well because they are so far forward, and even bigger yet, is it doesn't solve the negative pressure situation behind the fairing. I know that the principle behind the madstad bracket is that it's supposed to solve the pressure problem. (I tired it, and it helped some, but not enough to justify the look, and if I remember right, I still had tons of air coming from below)

When I got home, I decided to mock up something closer to the rider and mount on my tubular engine guards. I grabbed some scrap wood and a couple conduit clamps and this is what I came up with (attached)

I initially positioned them so that it would redirect the air downward towards my feet, but I quickly found out that it wasn't the fix. Everything was loose enough that I could re-position them on the fly, so after fiddling around, I put them at the angle shown in the pic. This seems to be the best angle to eliminate buffeting. My theory is the same as madstad, eliminating the low pressure zone behind the fairing. I don't have both to compare, but boy it works! I monkeyed with the positioning a bit (moving them left, right, up, down, horizontal, vertical) and it seems like they work best as shown. Closer to the middle, they trap heat just like the fork mounted, further out, no benefit.

I can also see why the factory touring lowers aren't perfect Because they angle forward and not upward, you are not really solving the low pressure problem.

Has anyone tried anything like this? I'm trying to figure out how small I could make these while still being effective. Also, any thoughts on how one could make these more attractive? rounded corners, angles.. etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Couple things to think about: first and foremost not everyone has engine guards. 2nd, the touring lowers... are you referring to the winglets on the fairing or the lower closeouts on the engine guards? Third, have you considered while trying a smaller version maybe adding a bit of a flip. And finally, the leg position, leg length, foot position, seatimg position, rider height and bar types will be different for each person. This last one i bet is the main reason there are so many theories and designs of deflectors and results.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Are fork mounted the way to go? I'm not so sure. A couple years ago, I made a set like others have, and while it did improve the buffeting some, I wasn't convinced. The biggest problem for me was that it trapped too much heat around the motor, and it made it hot to ride. The other problem was that in windy situations, the deflectors caught enough more wind that I didn't like how it felt going down the road, as it would cause movement of the forks.

As I was riding home on my last road trip, I did what many of us do on the last 150 miles, and that is dream up ways to make the ride more comfortable. I noticed that when I put the heels of my hands on my knees, next to the tank, with my fingers pointing up and forward, that Immediately I noticed the buffeting disappear, and I'm riding in a smooth pocket of air @75 MPH. And visualizing the path of the air that my hands were blocking, it became apparent to me that the fork deflectors don't work that well because they are so far forward, and even bigger yet, is it doesn't solve the negative pressure situation behind the fairing. I know that the principle behind the madstad bracket is that it's supposed to solve the pressure problem. (I tired it, and it helped some, but not enough to justify the look, and if I remember right, I still had tons of air coming from below)

When I got home, I decided to mock up something closer to the rider and mount on my tubular engine guards. I grabbed some scrap wood and a couple conduit clamps and this is what I came up with (attached)

I initially positioned them so that it would redirect the air downward towards my feet, but I quickly found out that it wasn't the fix. Everything was loose enough that I could re-position them on the fly, so after fiddling around, I put them at the angle shown in the pic. This seems to be the best angle to eliminate buffeting. My theory is the same as madstad, eliminating the low pressure zone behind the fairing. I don't have both to compare, but boy it works! I monkeyed with the positioning a bit (moving them left, right, up, down, horizontal, vertical) and it seems like they work best as shown. Closer to the middle, they trap heat just like the fork mounted, further out, no benefit.

I can also see why the factory touring lowers aren't perfect Because they angle forward and not upward, you are not really solving the low pressure problem.

Has anyone tried anything like this? I'm trying to figure out how small I could make these while still being effective. Also, any thoughts on how one could make these more attractive? rounded corners, angles.. etc.
Do you miss driving your car when on the bike? That wind is what reminds us were are on a bike.

Reactions: Flyboy

·
Registered
820 Posts
Btw I dislike that "tank" wind too. I think I understand why and what your going for but for me I need the wind. it's a bike and it's suppose to be windy and the fairing once buffeting was under control provided just the right amount of comfort for me.

Reactions: MagVic CCT

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Do you miss driving your car when on the bike? That wind is what reminds us were are on a bike.
I agree to a certain point. One of the reasons I run such a short windshield (9" windvest and I'm 6'2").

There is a BIG difference between the clean air you get on a bike without a fairing or windshield, and the shake your head and rattle your fillings loose buffeting you get with the stock XC fairing set up.

Reactions: Flyboy

·
Registered
820 Posts
I agree to a certain point. One of the reasons I run such a short windshield (9" windvest and I'm 6'2").

There is a BIG difference between the clean air you get on a bike without a fairing or windshield, and the shake your head and rattle your fillings loose buffeting you get with the stock XC fairing set up.
I am well aware of the buffeting and turbulent air these awesome fairings create. Including my mini apes air disturbance and the massive amount of air from below. I bought lots of solutions but none solved it and all together were just as ineffective as just one. Funny thing is most of my disturbances are me and my riding position. I am the best air controller ever made. Everywhere I place my legs changes where and how the air flows from cooling to my face. My best solution to the updraft was rubber bands for my goatee. Problem solved $3 for 500. There is no one size fits all answer but if it works for him awesome. Mine work for me but I like the air and I hated my goatee beating me to death cuz of it.

·
Registered
960 Posts
It sounds like you need to get some plexi and cut some shapes. The other thought it gives me is that I'm assuming fork deflector clamps are limited or have zero range of motion beyond loosen..turn..tighten. if clamps were made with ability to tilt up & down as well, that could be ticket?

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Grab a ram mount with a 1" ball and you will have full range.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couple things to think about: first and foremost not everyone has engine guards. 2nd, the touring lowers... are you referring to the winglets on the fairing or the lower closeouts on the engine guards? Third, have you considered while trying a smaller version maybe adding a bit of a flip. And finally, the leg position, leg length, foot position, seatimg position, rider height and bar types will be different for each person. This last one i bet is the main reason there are so many theories and designs of deflectors and results.
I wasn't speaking for everyone, only myself and my round bars. I was referring to the lower closeouts on the engine guards. I haven't considered any design changes at all yet. I'm still trying to understand theory, and was wondering if anyone had done anymore work on this than I have. I don't have tons of time for multiple prototypes on mine and really would just like to find the best couple of ideas/theories and try them out. Any help is appreciated!

As for other designs and such, I haven't tried them all, nor do I have the budget for that. What I can tell you is that my seating position is probably pretty average, and with my klockwerks flip, this configuration sends the air bubble higher than it was (about the top of my head) and it goes even higher ( a couple inches above) . Beyond the massive difference with the type of air bobbling my sunglasses, my shirt is damn near motionless @75. I'm pretty sure that this solves the same fundamental problem that madstad solves (the low pressure area) but I think this solves it from the shield down to your waist. I could turn my radio down from 13 down to 8 and still hear words, and I'm pretty sure you could smoke a cigarette at that speed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It sounds like you need to get some plexi and cut some shapes. The other thought it gives me is that I'm assuming fork deflector clamps are limited or have zero range of motion beyond loosen..turn..tighten. if clamps were made with ability to tilt up & down as well, that could be ticket?
I think I've got them adjusted perfect. (angle and distance from the frame) I'm more concerned about the design now, and how big/little/high/low I can make them and still be effective.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I think it's a great idea. Just figured I'd toss some pointers at you if you were thinking of making a buck.

Reactions: DAVEofSAC

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it's a great idea. Just figured I'd toss some pointers at you if you were thinking of making a buck.
Ahh.. I gotcha.. Yeah, I don't think I'd want to put the time into a shrinking market.. Which is really sad.
I was in Eureka Springs Arkansas over the weekend and 60% of the bikes I saw were HD's. Of the other 40%, 8/10 were Vics. I couldn't believe how many CC's I saw. Left me shaking my head

·
Registered
820 Posts
I wasn't speaking for everyone, only myself and my round bars. I was referring to the lower closeouts on the engine guards. I haven't considered any design changes at all yet. I'm still trying to understand theory, and was wondering if anyone had done anymore work on this than I have. I don't have tons of time for multiple prototypes on mine and really would just like to find the best couple of ideas/theories and try them out. Any help is appreciated!

As for other designs and such, I haven't tried them all, nor do I have the budget for that. What I can tell you is that my seating position is probably pretty average, and with my klockwerks flip, this configuration sends the air bubble higher than it was (about the top of my head) and it goes even higher ( a couple inches above) . Beyond the massive difference with the type of air bobbling my sunglasses, my shirt is damn near motionless @75. I'm pretty sure that this solves the same fundamental problem that madstad solves (the low pressure area) but I think this solves it from the shield down to your waist. I could turn my radio down from 13 down to 8 and still hear words, and I'm pretty sure you could smoke a cigarette at that speed.
I was not saying you are or a gold wing rider is less of a rider. If that is the type of ride you want start with that. It's like buying a Heritage and then putting a fairing trunk lowers on it and saying you want comfort so you did that. Why not buy a street glide then. Vision blocks the air but it isn't a bagger it's a tourer. Your comfort is all that matters in reality and I like air when I ride. I do appreciate the efforts and the sharing and have often wondered what it would be like without that air and if something like that would work. Then I say like my truck or car and I say to hell with that. I ride hot cold rain snow or shine just add some extra clothing for the cold. Btw I was not trying to insult is just my opinion doesn't make it right.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Ahh.. I gotcha.. Yeah, I don't think I'd want to put the time into a shrinking market.. Which is really sad.
I was in Eureka Springs Arkansas over the weekend and 60% of the bikes I saw were HD's. Of the other 40%, 8/10 were Vics. I couldn't believe how many CC's I saw. Left me shaking my head
You never know. I dont see it as a shrinking market. You come up with an idea on how to improve deflectors it could probably work for any bike. Especially if a better fork type deflector. Just theorizing

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was not saying you are or a gold wing rider is less of a rider. If that is the type of ride you want start with that. It's like buying a Heritage and then putting a fairing trunk lowers on it and saying you want comfort so you did that. Why not buy a street glide then. Vision blocks the air but it isn't a bagger it's a tourer. Your comfort is all that matters in reality and I like air when I ride. I do appreciate the efforts and the sharing and have often wondered what it would be like without that air and if something like that would work. Then I say like my truck or car and I say to hell with that. I ride hot cold rain snow or shine just add some extra clothing for the cold. Btw I was not trying to insult is just my opinion doesn't make it right.
You are correct on all counts. (I apologize for my hasty comment before, I thought you dropped in to throw some mud and leave.) After having my CC for a few years, and having the opportunity to ride a few other bikes, I can say if I could make the same purchase today, I might go with something else because of the distance riding I do and It wouldn't be anything made by HD. If I had given the vision a test ride back to back, my decision might have been different as well. When I bought my CC, I was pretty sure that the fairing was going to solve all my air management needs, and I was wrong. Now i'm in love with the way the bike handles, looks, and performs. Beyond that It's not worth anywhere near what I'd need to get out of it to move to something different, so I'm stuck trying to modify the small issues I do have with it, so it can fit my needs till it's worn out.

·
Registered
820 Posts
You are correct on all counts. (I apologize for my hasty comment before, I thought you dropped in to throw some mud and leave.) After having my CC for a few years, and having the opportunity to ride a few other bikes, I can say if I could make the same purchase today, I might go with something else because of the distance riding I do and It wouldn't be anything made by HD. If I had given the vision a test ride back to back, my decision might have been different as well. When I bought my CC, I was pretty sure that the fairing was going to solve all my air management needs, and I was wrong. Now i'm in love with the way the bike handles, looks, and performs. Beyond that It's not worth anywhere near what I'd need to get out of it to move to something different, so I'm stuck trying to modify the small issues I do have with it, so it can fit my needs till it's worn out.
I know what you mean bout that fairing and the hopes it would change things. Especially being around my buddies street glide. I certainly thought it would till my eyes rattled out of my head. Mine works for me because I adjusted and tinkered. I wanted that street glide type with no interest for that full dresser. It is way better than the bobbers and sport bikes I was use too. This is a good compromise to me right now but in 5 years bike willing maybe my desires change. I am lucky I got a suga mama ole lady (contributes above and beyond to the household) that supports my hobby mostly cuz she knows the trouble I get into with idle time.

Ps if you stick around you will figure out I got smart mouth but I mean nothing by it but a poke and a smile.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know what you mean bout that fairing and the hopes it would change things. Especially being around my buddies street glide. I certainly thought it would till my eyes rattled out of my head. Mine works for me because I adjusted and tinkered. I wanted that street glide type with no interest for that full dresser. It is way better than the bobbers and sport bikes I was use too. This is a good compromise to me right now but in 5 years bike willing maybe my desires change. I am lucky I got a suga mama ole lady (contributes above and beyond to the household) that supports my hobby mostly cuz she knows the trouble I get into with idle time.

Ps if you stick around you will figure out I got smart mouth but I mean nothing by it but a poke and a smile.
So on that note, you obviously like your madstad . I tried an early model that I bought off someone used, and it didn't have easy adjustments. The thing took wrenches and screwdrivers to adjust anything, so I didn't mess with it much but I remember thinking that I actually got more air with three madstad than without out. Is that your experience?

·
Registered
820 Posts
So on that note, you obviously like your madstad . I tried an early model that I bought off someone used, and it didn't have easy adjustments. The thing took wrenches and screwdrivers to adjust anything, so I didn't mess with it much but I remember thinking that I actually got more air with three madstad than without out. Is that your experience?
I do. At times it can be noisy when riding into the wind but I use either the 11" from them or the klockwerks flip I got for like 50 on eBay. Mine I adjust on the fly based on wind conditions and riding 2 up or not. It has thumb turn knobs making it way easier and I keep the up down locking nuts tight but not tight enough to prevent movement. That stupid bracket let me enjoy the bike at highway speeds with or without a full face and especially with my brain bucket. It's hot in Vegas and a full face sucks when everything is designed to keep air off your face. I smoke at 90 and with my tesla lighter I can light a cig at speed if the tank wind like your trying to prevent disappears I could light with a Bic.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I think a lil and plastic flip on the flat spots on the top of the fairing would do wonders. That air for me goes straight into my hands on the mini apes. With the madstad it's pretty well negated it as bad air but in the winter man my hands can get cold. I wear wetsuit gloves and leather gloves on those days.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.