New Chieftain Limited Owner | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

New Chieftain Limited Owner

Discussion in 'Indian Chieftain' started by bernomad, Oct 28, 2018.

1. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Cross Country
    ( Vindex)
    Nah. Just curiosity is all. My wife wants to ride one too and who knows she may say OK I’ll trade in my magnum and get the new chief glide. In my opinion as small as she is I think the chief glide would be a better fit for her. I just don’t think they will give me what the magnum is worth being the 2016 X one stealth with only 1200 miles on it

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    They had the lineup out yesterday. I saw 3) 2019 Chiefglides. They have stickers on the tank that list the mods done to the bikes.
    2 were set up with stage 2 which is cams , intake, exhaust , flash.
    I will ride the bone stock 1st to compare.

• Like Like x 1
  3. notaharley

notaharley Well-Known Member

VISION, BABY!
    Take notes and pix and report back

4. K1ll3m@LL

[email protected] Well-Known Member

2011 Victory Cross Country
    Should have sold it yourself, that's a great deal they got.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. NY mike

NY mike Well-Known Member

Indian chieftain - Harley Ultra
    @slickvic just so you know mite help not sure I got $13g trade for my 16 Magnum with 30,000 miles on it end of August which saved me another $1000 in taxes I look at it like 14 all in not too bad

• Like Like x 1
  6. NY mike

@bernomad your gonna love that bike I’ve got 1 just like it the ride and handling are superb. 2 bitches so far, I would prefer a 6gal fuel tank and having to turn fairing all the way left to fuel is just a little inconvenience which I’m pretty much about over already. Other then that it’s quite a machine so far. Not the power of my Magnum on the higher end but I’m no speed freik anyways power quite adequate. Bag storage I got spoiled with my Magnum. But it’s as much as my Harleys for sure. Good luck with it can’t tell if it’s the black pearl like mine or not. But it’s sharp !

7. SubDude

SubDude Well-Known Member

16 Chieftain Silver Smoke
    Your first time seeing a Chieftain? The clutch adjuster has been just like this since 2014.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PDXLaserGazer

PDXLaserGazer Well-Known Member

'13 Cross Country - Antifreeze Green / '15 Gunner
    Yeah, I guess so. Seems unfinished is all. To be honest, I don't look at other bikes. I have a supermodel and all the other girls are cows.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    My thoughts on the new Indians. :
    Well nothing has really changed other than fairings fenders and bags. The bike is basically the same.

I started out on a 116 set up bike. All the catalog performance parts were done to it. The bike equipped as such adding in stereo upgrade added $7k to the $26k sticker !!!!!!

The sound was good. Idle was sloppy. Taking off in standard mode was abrupt. Throttle was very touchy. Almost uncontrollable in slow speed riding. Stopping , going , parking lot control just felt wrong. Strong power / torque which seemed to quit early. Not near as smooth, linear and continuous as my VIc.
    When accelerating thru the gears it seemed 4k was it. Power is done so shift. Even in sport mode which was useless for this bike. Rep says it Just dumps fuel no real noticeable change. So this function is useless on a 116 bike ? The bike was fast and the torque increase was noticeable compared to a stock bike which I rode next. Stereo was the upgraded one. Sucked.

I chose to ride a stocker so I could see the difference and use the power functions as was recommended by the Indian rep. I found the stock Chieftain much more enjoyable to ride. Good torque and a more smooth linear feel at throttle. When I switched to sport mode the throttle became sensitive again and power delivery was a little quicker to come on but not as abrupt as the 116. I switched back to standard for a better more linear throttle control. This to me was the best feel for this bike. You felt like you can just ride it all day. So as far as the sport functions ? A waste to me. The new seat ?
    Still sits me too high. The dash functions ? Too busy ! Too much going on ! There’s 2 gear indicators ? There’s split screen options. There’s this and that and tire pressure monitors and and and !
    Distraction !

Ride and handling is definitely better than HD but not XC. I’m small and I’m used to the space on my XC. I would tire of this bike by days end. I can ride my XC for ever. Too bad I have to sleep.
    The power is all about torque and moving some weight. The bikes do this well. This is no race bike. It’s a cruiser and a nice one. Handles great and brakes good.

The info system is too much for me. I just want music and I want to hear it loud and clear. That doesn’t happen here. So for all this money $26k you get a nice expensive piece of Americana. Save the $7k needed for the 116 kit. That money can do so much more after market. Welcome to the world of Harley Davidson.

So I also decided last minute and last ride to try a Scout Bobber. Equipped with exhaust and flash.
    Now this thing was fun ! I couldn’t stand the riding position. My belly was in the way lol. But y’all about power on tap and plenty of it ! Think Vrod but in my opinion way more linear power. After 3500 and all the way to 8k this bike pulls hard !!!!! Absolutely loved the motor ! Make a cruiser Indian with this motor and watch it sell !!!!!

The FTR 1200 was in the show room. Sweet bike. Very well done and pics do it no justice. Indian has a wheelie winner on its hands here.

So I will happily Keep my Vic’s for the rest of my riding life. Still no one can top them imo. Polar-A$$ F’d up.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. notaharley

VISION, BABY!
    Your write up is a near mirror to what I said about the new Yamaha.
    Yamaha's sport mode was just as bad!

I'm with you... I don't need all that those fancy electronic gizmos to distract me from riding my motorcycle.
    But you know what? We are old! I just rented a car recently and it has some kind of a fancy screen that did 50 million different things and I couldn't even figure out how to get the radio to turn on for the first 15 minutes!

I'm surprised you didn't like the stereo though. My Indian stereo kicks the living crap out of what is on my Victory. Absolutely no contest. The reviewers gave it a thumbs up and say it's on par with Harley and one I listened to thought it was a notch above the HD.

The fly-by-wire takes some getting used to-- I like the plain and simple Victory throttle better.

Glad you got a chance to ride the bikes! After riding a Victory, It's hard to find anything that pleases us!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    The stereo comparison was not fair. I have a Yankphan head unit. Arc 600 watt 4 channel amp and some premium coaxials. Arc 6x9 rear and WDX Moto 6.5 up front. While not as serious as Yanks it’s the best sound on a bike in the wind that Ive heard yet.
    In the garage even better lol.

The info system just flustered me. Don’t need GPS.
    That’s on my phone. Don’t need all those functions either. Just need the wind in my face and a responsive Vtwin under my A$$. Room in the saddle is a plus too. But we all already know this. The Indian is nice and a better ride than HD imo.......but like HD they won’t get any of slicks money. I can’t see $26k then give Lloyd 5plus to make it run how I like. Both my Vic’s 11 XC and 16 Stealth were bought new for under 16k each. Now that’s a deal.
    Guess you can say I got two great bikes for the price of 1 !

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. notaharley

VISION, BABY!
    That's why I never buy new.
    My 2015 Chieftain came with $32,000 in receipts for the bike, accessories, cams, ECM flash, etc. 6000 miles. $13,000

There are always deals. I am willing to wait for the right ones.

All my Vics were bought the same way. 2 only had 500 miles -- but some dude bought all kinds of crap, then got his rear end handed to him by his wife. I was in the right place at the right time.

You stereo sounds pretty wild. The one on my Indian, if I turn it up much past "12" my ears bleed. I can feel the bass in the bars and my chest. Love it. My Vision is pretty wimpy.

13. Gunny

Gunny New Member

cross country
    Looks nice, thats the only Indain I like. When I decide to trade mine Im looking at the Yamaha Transcontintal Venture. Dont trust Indain,

14. NY mike

Well @slickvic i Agree with some of your review but some I can’t say. I never rode the 19. Just went and looked at it being as my other bike looks so much like it I lost interest. Stereo stock I’m really impressed over my Vic and Harley BUT it’s a stock comparison to be fair. The ride command is actually a very positive thing with the screen options because you can put on the screen only the information you deem important to you. This coming from someone who barely operates a smart phone. The air pressure monitor on my screen is a great convenience if you check air like I do. The ride is the best I’ve ever been on for what you would like in a touring bike. Yamaha, Vic and Harley I don’t believe can touch my bike. Again I’m talking my 18 limited. Power is quite adequate for me and what I want and the 4g shift is the same on mine there’s nothing after that for sure. Handling well I think it out handles my Harley the yammy and my Magnum but in all fairness the 21” on my Magnum does make a bit of a difference. But until I get about 15,000 on it next summer will be the real test. Your review goes to show we are all looking for something different in a motorcycle that will reach out and go I just mite be what your looking for. And for you this is not it. Sometimes we have to make them what we want them to be. They are close but not quite there. As you did with yours and I did with my Magnum. But I agree once you’ve made something what you want it to be nothing matches up.

• Like Like x 2
  15. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    No disrespect Mike. I liked the Indian. I said I could ride it all day. I’m a dam gear head and that’s my problem. I look at what I paid for my 2 Vic’s. The Magnum X1 was a steal. What I will put in that bike will easily keep me under $17 k for happy ownership. The 11 is my hot Rod.
    If I were looking for a touring bagger today and had the funds I would settle on the Injin. I could grow to like it a lot but unfortunately like so many and as you mentioned .......... I’m spoiled now.