New Chief - Indian Releases New Bike | Page 15 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

New Chief - Indian Releases New Bike

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by VSprocket, Feb 9, 2021.

1. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Kingpin
    Agree! But if there really was a market for this, why kill the Dyna?

2. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    Good point. I always thought that was an internal house cleaning decision made by Harley. To have a full Softail family AND a Dyna family were too much. They had to kill one, so they decided to kill the Dyna. Frankly I thought that was a good decision. The Softail is a better platform in my opinion. I never could understand why all the whining by the herd over that. But Polaris saw that, soooooo...

Funny thing is, they are copying a design architecture that even Harley rejected. So I don't really get it either! But again, we will see.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    The bike rode and handled well. Better than any Dyna I’ve ridden. More linear power too. How many different ways can you make a cruiser and still keep it looking like the brand it belongs to. I think we’re over thinking this bike. It’s nothing special believe me. Baggers are the ticket for many.... too many. Bikes like the Scout too. Fast and good looking. If they only made it a little bigger !

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. NY mike

NY mike Well-Known Member

Indian chieftain - Harley Ultra
    I think they did slick it’s the chief. But so many Indian fans thought even that was to big. And again scout to small. In my eyes I thought the chief was the ticket for an in between. Many said no way to heavy. This mite be the ticket. But a road bike not gonna happen. Your not touring on that agreed. A nice cruiser maybe an overnight trip but not much more in my eyes. Again not for a lot of us that like to roll. As @Ghostrider25 said time and sales will tell this story. If it hits like the challenger this could be something for them again.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. notaharley

notaharley Well-Known Member

VISION, BABY!
    The rims are tubeless :)

• Like Like x 4
  6. jayleav

jayleav Well-Known Member

2011 Kingpin
    Like it, dislike it, on the fence, there’s no denying that this new model line looks very similar to the Gunner and Highball, only they made the swing arm less custom looking and got rid of the mono shock design, which imo was superior. They also got rid of the superior engine in the 106. The one thing that’s better on the Indian line in general is the transmission. They just shift smoother. Period. I’ve been examined this new Chief since it’s reveal and I think it’s neat but when I walk out to my garage and see my Kingpin and realize I spent 6k dollars on it and I have 4” of rear suspension travel, inverted front suspension and ergonomics meant to fit a 6’3” man..... I have to ask WTF was Polaris thinking when they dropped this line !? I love the Challenger, and I’ve ridden a 116” chieftain with bars and seat that made me perfectly comfortable but it was 30k dollars. Too much money, for me to justify buying one. If I ever break and spend that type of money on a bike, I’ll buy a used M8 Road Glide, build the engine, and suspension and have a bike that competes with anything in its class. Sorry Indian, but I’m still not in.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. NY mike

@jayleav youll have to build that engine to run with a challenger. And a base challenger is not priced to bad actually. Don’t get me wrong it’s not for me the challenger. It’s as ugly as my Roadglide was in my eyes. But to each his own. Roadglide is a highly overrated bike. After 80,000 miles on mine I can testify to that. Put personal preference is all that counts.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Good luck building the Indian 116” to keep up with the Indian 108”. Two friends at work: one with everything done to his Indian Chief 116” short of a blower. The other with a bone stock Indian Challenger 108”. The Challenger 108” would smoke the Chief 116” under every scenario, in every condition and with ease. Not even close. And the Chief 116” owner is the gear head with a lot of on track and on road racing experience under his belt. The Challenger owner, zero on track or on road racing experience.

After a year with his Challenger, that owner traded it in on a beautiful brand new Indian Road Master. His comment after his first ride, “the 116” seems really weak.”

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Alwhite00

Alwhite00 Active Member

Victory
    Dyno results I've seen for the challenger 103hp/113tq - seems pretty easy to get that on a 106. I'm surprised at your findings. The challenger really needs to come out with a touring model. I thought it would be this year but I guess not.

10. Chattanooga_Mark

I should have been more clear, I was talking an Indian Chief with a highly modified 116” vs. an Indian Challenger with a bone stock 108”.

I suspect a Victory 106" with a 116" or the newer 117” kit would do quite well against either of the two bikes mentioned above.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Alwhite00

Alwhite00 Active Member

Victory
    sorry, I read it as 106.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NY mike

I think he was talking about an HD motor built to run with anything out there. LOL $$

13. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    My Victory is on my mind too, come on spring. That liquid cooled 108’s a nice platform, they should make it an option for the other models, the road master would be more appealing, that and with the same storage as Xct

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Chattanooga_Mark

Cept a used but nearly new CCT can be bought for about a third the price of a new Road Master. In my mind, the CCT wins each and every time. It's not even close. I fully admit to being biased in favor of the CCT as to me, it's simply a better looking as well as a better performing bike. Yes, the Road Master has built in attributes like a GPS where my CCT has a Garmin attached to a RAM ball when the GSP is in use.

My CCT transmission always has a THUNK from N to 1st, a thunk from 1st to 2nd and a snick in every other scenario. So yes, the Indian transmission 'shifts smoother'. Yup, but that's not worth three CCT's in my book.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    Truth be told, of all the Polaris indians I have ridden, The Road Master was my favorite. It's a very smooth riding, well performing bike. They have a very luxurious feel to them. They are gigantic! And extremely expensive. But I liked it and I actually fit on it! But I can't do the museum piece look. And they are extremely expensive. Did I mention they are extremely expensive? :biggrin:

Anyway, I picked the Vision because I like that bike the best. Still do.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1