New Chief - Indian Releases New Bike | Page 13 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

New Chief - Indian Releases New Bike

Discussion in 'Indian Motorcycle General Discussion' started by VSprocket, Feb 9, 2021.

1. notaharley

notaharley Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    VISION, BABY!
    Ha! iabob!
    Sales terrible? Indian has 7 engine variations and 5 different frames and just released a new bike with a totally new innovative digital speedo that no one else has.

Sounds like a failing company to me!
    Lol

;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. VSprocket

VSprocket Member

2012 Sunset Red CCT
    Stopped by the local Indian dealer today to see what they had on the floor and the regional manager had his Chief limited on display. I was not able to start it but they allowed me to sit on it to a get a feel of the ergonomics. I'm about 5'10" and 190lbs. It felt light with the 116 with a somewhat compact position. Not bad but I would prefer more room. Dealer stated models would start arriving about the end of April.

Chief.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  3. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Topic kinda crosses with another thread but here’s another possibility. This Vic’s you’re seeing, former garage queens that have recently been sold. On the FB group pages it seems like every day there’s a post, “2009 Hammer S. Mint condition, 5200 miles. Guy is asking 5k, what do you guys think I should offer? I’m new to Victory”. Seems like a lot of new owners asking questions on bikes with very low miles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    How many sales? Victory had seven different engine combos. Six different frames, and was the first major mc manufacturer to put an electric bike on showroom floors. Sound like a successful company to you? The question wasn’t how many frame variations, it was how many sales. Unfortunately we have to try and dissect that information from revenue reports, actual sales #’s are a big secret. But the number we have aren’t that great. When you subtract the % quoted for costs of production, four wheelers have a lot of profits left over. That sounds like success to me. Snowmobiles have profits left over, but much smaller than 4 wheelers. Boats have profits left over. Motorcycles not so much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CrazyDiavelRider

CrazyDiavelRider Active Member

They are not listening to Victory or Honda. The focus is on HD. They could care less that a few Victory riders are Victory brand loyal.

Many today after all this time can’t let go. Victory has next to no influence anymore. Somethings may look a like or as some say have Victory DNA, that’s holding on . Even though there is some truth to it.

I have let go, and see Indian as Indian and Victory as Victory. One is moving on for the better the Other holds loyalist keeping it alive with support and focus shrinking by the day.

Even those supporters know and saw the writing on the wall along time ago.

Everything is a copy of something else , if the copy is better then one of them will still be around? Because it’s better or for the name.

The buyer will have to decide

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. oldroadrunner

oldroadrunner Member

Betewen cities and states
    Notes from pouring over this 13 page post:

Indians are simply admired by some, aspired to by some, and scoffed at by some, and purchased by enough people, I hope, to keep Polaris happy.

To me, it is like reading a car magazine about the latest Porsche or Mercedes or Cadillac.

I am in the 'admire' class. Hey... real nice! Lookkeeee there at that thing. What presence. What a magnetic force. How compelling... yikes, how expensive! hahaha I like seeing people on them. Nothing can be harder than the quest for fun, once people get more mney than they know what to do with. And I love it when they spend it in the USA.

Some people already have a great ride, and yet, the human condition leads them to want more and, lost in the future, they disdain the present, and want more. A little sad. But very prevalent.

Some, the more practical among us, forget that those buyers are seldom hard core rider, going across the country several times in several years, or riding to work when weather allows. And they are (imho) quite correct to more or less point out that foreigners sometimes do it cheaper and more reliably. But, it seems to me that the bikes are quite reliable, plenty for the 900 miles per year they get ridden. A new Cadillac, or Porsche ... all you do is drive it. A new motorcycle... all you do is ride it.

I hope they keep selling. BUT... I hope people pay cash. Debt is the new slavery. Thus imho 'payments due' on a motorcyle are the antithisis of freedom. For me, it detracts from the experience. They will be back for more if the repelling energy of debt has not spoiled their fun.

I like having a paid for motorcycle that I need/want to maintain and occasionally fix minor non-threatening things. I like being intimate with it on the stand and on the road.

And when you guys are ready to chase after the next sparkly thing... Obviously, I am one of them who is soooo happy to accept your cast-offs!

Rich or poor, a good meal tastes good to a hungy person.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. VvJoel

VvJoel Member

Victory vision
    I disagree. They made the new chief like the gunner and the limited like the highball. It has more power with the same look to try to retain there sales. I just believe it won't work. Especially at the price point.

8. NY mike

NY mike Well-Known Member

Indian chieftain - Harley Ultra
    @oldroadrunner I ride them because I choose to ride them. And myself I prefer American iron my choice. I haven’t financed a bike since 86 I pay cash. I’m far from rich but I am diligent in finance. 900 miles is what I call a kickass days ride when I’m running coast to coast. Harley Victory Indian I’ve owned all 3 and all 3 coast to coast for many years now. And yes I’ve been buying new since 82. Because I roll hard and know how I take care of my bikes. No trust in previous owners maintenance. I usually run mine most the time not always to 100g give or take before I buy another. When I’m done with this Indian I’ll let you know. Rumor is they go 300g plus oh wait that’s not a rumor anymore ;):cool: We’re all different in our own way

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    I remember when I rode up to the demo day crowd. Everyone stopped and stared at the magnum while they were stand by the demo bikes. Some you could hear say “wow... nice ........ “sweet “ ......... that’s badazz ! “
    When I walked over the questions were flying. It was a nice feeling to see our bike so admired. One cat said. “ wished they still made them I’d buy one “
    I told him they’re out there and going cheap. He was a big dude on a Scout ??? He was now looking at a bigger bike so he was happy there was a demo day. I think he came away thinking he would keep his Scout ! Probably gonna look for a garage queen Vic.

• Like Like x 2
  10. notaharley

notaharley Well-Known Member

VISION, BABY!
    We'll, you get my point.
    Indian is not really a motorcycle company. It's a business with a mission to make money for shareholders. There is no romantic view towards the "iconic brand" (I truly hate the word "iconic" these days).

Polaris has GOT to be making some $$ on their investment and seeing future profits.

The FTR was a huge investment that has yet to pay for itself (although I really like the bike!).

I wish Indian well.

CrazyDiavelRider (Pedro, your name is too long, lol) hit the nail on the head.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    I wouldn’t say Indian is not a motorcycle company too loud. There are proud people in the design and development depts of Indian that are proud of their accomplishments. The company did build an all new Indian from the ground up and it was received well. There are mechanics and assembly line workers that have a job in the Indian motorcycle company just like the ones at the moco. These are the only two American motorcycle company’s left. We should embrace that.

• Like Like x 2
  12. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Actually I’m still not seeing your point. If it’s that Polaris builds a good bike, therefore they are successful...ok I can see that. They made a good product under the Victory brand, and they make a good product now. It obviously takes more than that to be successful though so I think you get MY point lol.

Im with you on the FTR. I wish it were a Vic with a bit more HP, a bit more P156 stance, and a bit lower price. I think that would sell.

“Seeing future profits” I think is the only reason the losses are being accepted. Polaris was already once successful profit wise selling motorcycles so I believe they believe they can do it again. I even understand them getting over confident in Indian being “the better horse to ride”. It did take off like gangbusters. But it has stalled since 2017, and the profits haven’t materialized yet.

13. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    They could care less about Victory or the loyal Victory owners? Yes, this 100%

The focus is on H-D? Yes. Polaris has blatantly copied H-D design cues and ergonomics.

Victory has no influence anymore? 100% false, the two best selling Indians are the Scout and the Challenger, one was an actual Victory slightly modified to be an Indian. The other got its engine/trans from Victory except Polaris gave it H-D styling.

You’ve let go, excellent. Polaris should have no free rental space with us.

Everything is a copy? What aesthetic design did Polaris copy on the Victory line? The designs are overall unique and don’t get confused with other brands.

I don’t hate Indian or Polaris. I’m mostly indifferent towards them. My disappointment in them is due to design. I don’t see a single Indian that isn’t a blatant copy of others work. The Victory designers, who once had an abundance of unique and original ideas and designs no longer have that. They’ve literally given up from day one and started copying decades old Indian design cues and then morphed into copying HD design cues.

For someone like me, who held them in high regard for their unique and original Victory designs, this is very disappointing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    I follow Octane Press on fb, that’s Michael Dapper and Lee Klacher’s (sp) company, the guys that wrote the books on Victory’s history. They recently reposted the Victory intro video to the CORE concept bike. God I love that bike. Anyway, most of the video was Mike Song, Greg Brew, and the then industrial design head, the guys directly responsible for the Core and all Vic designs. And in the middle there was a cut to Mark Blackwell being interviewed. That made me think,”that’s it right there”. I can’t even remember what Blackwell was saying now. But google his history in the motorcycle world. When he was in charge of motorcycles at Polaris, the division was being run with passion. I have no doubt the designers, engineers, the workers at the plant...they have passion. But whose running the show now? I have no idea. Is he passionate about copying the looks of old Harleys and Indians? Or is it all a profit calculation?

I’m not objective on the subject, no denying that. But damnit I wish it was 2009 again. I just don’t see what’s going on in that company now on par with the awesomeness that was going on then.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Here’s the video:

• Winner Winner x 3