VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting ready to take a little 3-4 thousand mile run into Colorado/New Mexico and assessing my situation I decided to go ahead and install a new rear tire.

I currently have the AV72 out back and love it. But, when shopping for a (or both) tires I always like to check out the possibilities. Took a hard look and decided to go back to the Avon. Two reasons. One, What I found that differs from the last Avon I bought was the tire in the size and load range that actually fits the bike.
The one I have on the bike right now was a 180/70R/16 77H. But the one I am replacing it with is a 60R/16 80H. I don't know if that is a new size for them or I just didn't find it the last time I was looking.
The second reason is the price. I found the tire at Dennis Kirk for 149. and change. It seems there is a promotional at AVON and DK just offers the tire with the discount already figured in so I don't have to hassle with getting the rebate. Sold me.

Anyway, I've always had good experiences with DK and thought it might be helpful right now for those wanting tires and would like to save at the same time. It's good through this month.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
We are getting ready to take a little 3-4 thousand mile run into Colorado/New Mexico and assessing my situation I decided to go ahead and install a new rear tire.

I currently have the AV72 out back and love it. But, when shopping for a (or both) tires I always like to check out the possibilities. Took a hard look and decided to go back to the Avon. Two reasons. One, What I found that differs from the last Avon I bought was the tire in the size and load range that actually fits the bike.
The one I have on the bike right now was a 180/70R/16 77H. But the one I am replacing it with is a 60R/16 80H. I don't know if that is a new size for them or I just didn't find it the last time I was looking.
The second reason is the price. I found the tire at Dennis Kirk for 149. and change. It seems there is a promotional at AVON and DK just offers the tire with the discount already figured in so I don't have to hassle with getting the rebate. Sold me.

Anyway, I've always had good experiences with DK and thought it might be helpful right now for those wanting tires and would like to save at the same time. It's good through this month.
I took advantage of Dennis Kirk's tire sale about a week ago. I ordered a set of Pirelli Angel GT's for my Concours. Still have some life left in the stock tires, but figured I would need them soon enough.

Reactions: MagVic CCT

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One other very small thing. The Avon measures 24.8 in diameter vs the E4 @ 24.4 and has a greater tread depth by 2/32.

Had I not gone with the Cobra, I would go with the Excedra Max. I absolutely love the way they wear, and ride, but I would be back to the 70R/16 with a lower load range. It would work, but it's a close fit and I guess I like the extra margin of safety.

Reactions: bobzinger

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
I got both rear and front Avon's during the sale. Replaced rear, had e4 because only tire dealer had when I got screw in my Avon while in Arizona, to big of a hole to trust a patch, still had 4000 miles to ride. Only positive side was it gave me a chance to see which I liked better...Avon or e4...Avon hands down IMHO. I have an Avon front that's still good for one more rear, but couldn't pass up sale.:icon_thumleft:
Should have gotten set for Vegas...I will when needed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I bought my Avons last year based on @IM12STPN's glowing reviews. LOVE them. I have the 180/60HR-16 on the back....so I guess that size has been available since at least March of last year. DK had great price...$139.88. $268.76 for the set including tire fee.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
As far as I know Avon is the only rear tire, other than the OEM Dunlop, that has an 80 load rating and something I consider when replacing tires as I tour two up & packed on the Vision.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

The correct tire size for the Victory Cross Roads/Country bikes is front 130/70R 18 63H and the rear is 180/60R M/C 80H

You can normally find good deals on tires at www.wingstuff.com as the pre 2018 GoldWings used the same size tire as the Victory Cross bikes use.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yup. I took advantage of the sale also. I like the H rating and measured tread depth at 11/32's equal the Dunlop American Elites now mounted.
Will be spooning on the rear radial while running the Dunlop bias on the front as it is still like new. Was wondering if Dennis Kirk as blowing out old inventory but the AV72 is fresh rubber.

Reactions: MagVic CCT

·
Registered
659 Posts
Did you buy a used R tire thinking you got a good deal? Maybe you are confused and thinking F tire, which comes with 4.5mm of tread. Either way, learning to use a tire tread depth gauge is a good thing.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Did you buy a used R tire thinking you got a good deal? Maybe you are confused and thinking F tire, which comes with 4.5mm of tread. Either way, learning to use a tire tread depth gauge is a good thing.
I just mite have fu*ked up there cause I'm down to the wear bars now and showing 2/32,s oh well what can you do lol must have looked at the wrong side. But either way after seeing this thread got on Kirk ordered another set

·
Registered
7,186 Posts

Been using these for a few years, they've always had the correct size. Love them other than the rear wore quickly on me the last time. I've got 7500 miles on it and it won't make the trip to SEVR so replacing. The one before that I got over 12k out of it, my right hand must be getting heavier! I've been running 40/42 psi so i might just go to 42/44.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
@bikendad mine are at 9000 miles now just touching wear bars. Running bias to stay matched up talked to Avon they said ok to run radial rear bias front they don't make my front in radials. Try the radial rear on next go around see if milage gets any better. May go nitrogen next go around also. Had to run the 180/65 to match all bias if I go rear radial I can go back to oem size 180/60

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
@bikendad mine are at 9000 miles now just touching wear bars. Running bias to stay matched up talked to Avon they said ok to run radial rear bias front they don't make my front in radials. Try the radial rear on next go around see if milage gets any better. May go nitrogen next go around also. Had to run the 180/65 to match all bias if I go rear radial I can go back to oem size 180/60
I always run radials on both ends.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.