VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just got new 2016 Hammer S and of course i'm looking at swapping out the stock exhaust for pipes with a little more rumble to their rawr. I've been watching every video I could on different exhausts that supposedly fit the 2016 Hammer, but thought i'd inquire here as well.

I'm absolutely in love with the sound of the RPW Thor. But the look to me is a little meh. I really enjoy the look of the slash cut straights that it comes with stock (really just dig the dual pipes). And as luck would have it, Bassani makes some Pro-Street Slash Cuts, which depending on which site you go to should fit the 2016 Hammer S. However i'm curious about the sound they make, haven't quite found a video that demonstrates the Bassani's with a high rev of the engine.

And then there's these:

But i don't even know where to get them. Searched for a few hours but looks like they're EU only maybe? But god those sound good and aren't 2-1.

So VOG, anyone know of some dual pipe exhausts that sound similar to the RPW Thor? Or know where to nab the pipes in that video?

Likewise, how necessary is a PC-V with new pipes? I'm not power hungry, i think the bike is great stock. But I also don't want it running hot or popping.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I think The Big Slash just looks perfect on the Hammer...

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Everyone has a different idea of what looks good and what sounds good and what 'loud' is, so it's hard to make suggestions.

In general, pipes that look cool and sound great don't make good power... and pipes that make good power look like they look and sound like they sound.

Any "Victory Performance" (factory) pipe is going to be bad as far as making power, some look OK, but they will have catalytic converters in them.

Personally, I like the look of the Hacker Zoomies​

View attachment 484401

View attachment 484409

RPW pipes make good power and sound good. I have been very happy with the Thor.

Conquest Customs makes come cool pipes and they put down good numbers.

View attachment 484417

View attachment 484425

View attachment 484433

View attachment 484441

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I would go with the Octanes from Conquest Customs. Rylan from the Vic shop said they perform just as well as the Thor with "His baffle". So I would message Rylan and ask if he could hook you up with a set of his Octanes. Great sound, power, and quality.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Not to offend but comparing cobra pipes to rpw Thor, is like comparing a Prius to a Hellcat

Like HC was talking about, you generally get two.

Looks
Sound
Performance

I feel like with Conquest Customs Ground Pounders, I managed to get all three. Plus, in my opinion, the ground pounders look fantastic on a highball.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Not to offend but comparing cobra pipes to rpw Thor, is like comparing a Prius to a Hellcat
^^^^THIS^^^^

The odd thing for me is when people say, "I'm not looking for power".
Look, if you are going to spend a thousand dollars, and you have to tune the bike either way, why not get something for the money besides more noise?

You can buy pipes and a tuner and get noise... probably lose power with Cobra/Victory pipes...
OR
You could get airbox/pipes/controller/tune and get sound, drivability, manners, economy, NO POPPING, and go from 82 HP to 96 HP...
Sorry... What was I thinking? Who would want that?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think I got all three...and more since I didn't spend anywhere close to $1,000. Go read the thread. The bike looks good, sounds good, and runs good (better than stock). If I want to drag race, I've got a different bike for that.

I havn't seen any data on this exact exhaust system, including the Stage 1 re-tune that say's it's got less power than stock. Yeah, I've seen the dyno chart on a Cobra Stage 1 pipe...which is not the exact system I have, nor does it necessarily indicate the results for every Cobra model. I've been riding for most of my life, and I was quite familiar with my Victory Hammer prior to the change in exhaust and tune, so I know the difference, which is decent, but slight. The downside is that this is not a "loud" pipe, if you call that a downside since I hate loud pipes, so for me this was the right system which now has a nice tone.

If people want to spend a $1,000 for better sound, and basically the same torque/hp output for cruising at 45 to 65 mph, then that's their right to do so.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
If people want to spend a $1,000 for better sound, and basically the same torque/hp output for cruising at 45 to 65 mph, then that's their right to do so.
I wasn't advocating taking away anyone's rights... I was making a point that if you're gonna do it, might as well get the most return out of the money spent. If people choose differently, fine. I just hope to eliminate buyer's remorse.

If you're happy with what you did, that's great, no need to justify it to anyone.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I think I got all three...and more since I didn't spend anywhere close to $1,000. Go read the thread. The bike looks good, sounds good, and runs good (better than stock). If I want to drag race, I've got a different bike for that.

I havn't seen any data on this exact exhaust system, including the Stage 1 re-tune that say's it's got less power than stock. Yeah, I've seen the dyno chart on a Cobra Stage 1 pipe...which is not the exact system I have, nor does it necessarily indicate the results for every Cobra model. I've been riding for most of my life, and I was quite familiar with my Victory Hammer prior to the change in exhaust and tune, so I know the difference, which is decent, but slight. The downside is that this is not a "loud" pipe, if you call that a downside since I hate loud pipes, so for me this was the right system which now has a nice tone.

If you're happy, that's all that matters.

I meant no disrespect. In the OP's original post, he expresses desire for the RPW Thor or Bassani slash cuts. I just don't consider the Cobra pipes to be in the same league as RPW or Bassani.

If someone can mod their bike to the level that they are happy with, and save some coin along the way, that's great.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
RPW Boom sticks meet the "straight pipe/ slash cut" look you mentioned. Of course I'm a little biased.. :biggrin:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I put the Bassani Slash Cuts on my 2016 Hammer. Of course I had to also add a fuel controller due to changing the pipes. And it was recommended I also change out the air filter to a K&N. The bike does sound way better and has some authority now. I'll admit it's not as deep as I would prefer. I've got some backfiring and rumble/gurgling on throttle outs, down shifts, etc., but it's not bad. I actually like it. I had planned to use a PCV as the controller but let the mechanic talk me into a Lloydz controller, which might have something to do with the backfiring. He said the Lloydz was made for Victorys while the PCV is much more complex and needs the correct map for whatever changes you're making (pipes, air, etc.). Anyway, I'm very happy with all of it.

(BTW, those are NOT the Bassani pipes in my avatar photo to the left. I need to update.)

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
I put the Bassani Slash Cuts on my 2016 Hammer. Of course I had to also add a fuel controller due to changing the pipes. And it was recommended I also change out the air filter to a K&N. The bike does sound way better and has some authority now. I'll admit it's not as deep as I would prefer. I've got some backfiring and rumble/gurgling on throttle outs, down shifts, etc., but it's not bad. I actually like it. I had planned to use a PCV as the controller but let the mechanic talk me into a Lloydz controller, which might have something to do with the backfiring. He said the Lloydz was made for Victorys while the PCV is much more complex and needs the correct map for whatever changes you're making (pipes, air, etc.). Anyway, I'm very happy with all of it.

(BTW, those are NOT the Bassani pipes in my avatar photo to the left. I need to update.)
I assume your mechanic has no access to a dyno...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Right, Half_Crazy, no dyno. At least he never mentioned one or suggested where I could take the bike to get it dyno'd. This guy is supposedly one of only 30 gold star Indian/Victory mechs in the country. He works at the dealership where the bike was sold to its original owner. I bought it with 700 miles on it and rather than deal with mechanics in my area who aren't thoroughly familiar with Victorys, I decided to take the bike to the dealership for the mods I wanted.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Howdy guys.
I realize that this is the Hammer Forum, not the Gunner Forum.
But, after all, we are talking about the same 106 power plant here, right?
After reading some of the comments, I would like to add...I have had a Honda VTX with Vance & Hines "Cruzer" exhaust pipes, as well as a Harley Davidson Sportster with Screaming Eagles.
Now I'm the owner of a 2015 Gunner.
I disagree with the notion that replacing stock pipes with Victory Performance exhaust would cause a loss of power, and I also disagree that Performance pipes don't sound good.
I've made only very minor changes: K&N hi flow air filter, Performance straight pipes, and I invested in a Maximus TechnoResearch device to retune on the Dynojet at KT Cycles, Hudson, NH.
With only those modification, my Gunner is not throwing huge numbers, needless to say.
Then again, 100.1 foot pounds of torque on the dyno is not bad. This equates to a bit over 115 foot pounds with a J1349 measurement at the crank.
The bike is fast.
And it sounds pretty good.
Importantly, the motorcycle runs well, as evidenced by the fuel economy of 45+ mpg that I always get. And I DON'T baby the thing, either!
All for a relatively small investment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.