VOG Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traveled 900 miles round trip from Tulsa, OK to Ottumwa, IA to take delivery of this black beauty.
Migrating from 2008 VTX1800N.

After the first 20 minute ride, I have to ask why I waited so long.

Looking forward to reading the forums and promise not ask redundant questions already answered a bazillion times.

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
Very nice! You'll love it!

Unsolicited, and probably unwanted, but hey

1. lower deflectors, good for cold, great for heat, let them sit for 12 hours before use & trust the 3M tape. Good Luck on the wait. Look around on eBay.

2. Don't trust your kickstand, check it twice. No switch or positive down position, but it is designed to retract if you touch it down wAddhile in motion

3. Trust your tip over (TO) points, IF YOU HAVE THEM, use them, instead of a foot or ankle to catch a falling vision. GET your feet up quick when you move from a stop, TOs run on ankle blood.

4. Place a foot on your floorboard and jiggle the bike while gassing up, and take your time. It takes a bit to fill both tanks.

5. Replace your horn or get loud pipes, this thing is fast and nimble, but cagers attack it for no reason. Jealous or hypnotized, who knows, but they steer right toward you.

6. Don't ever take off the trunk unless you are OK storing it forever. Rides almost like a different bike without it.

7. Stay off your front brakes below 5 mph, and pay attention in parking lots. The fuel tanks are forward and low: great for the twisties, but takes some getting used to.

8. If you remove the trunk or drop test the TOs you are honor bound to tell us. It makes those of us who have tested them more than once feel better ( so I hear).

9. If you take any of the above advice and it turns out badly, blame yourself, I am not to be trusted.

10. Make sure you lube any mechanical control points routinely, but do not oil cables, it tears up the interior Teflon

11. Once you have leaned that thing as far as you think is safe in a sweeper, keep going if you haven't heard the floorboards scrape. It's lean angle is just ridiculous for a 900+ lb bike

12. Practice using our Forum Search feature. It works wells, saves tons of repetition, and avoids snarky-smart-Alec answers like I sometimes offer

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
A new Vision Pilot!

Welcome aboard! Congrats on the new Vic!

Reactions: quack4du

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice! You'll love it!

Unsolicited, and probably unwanted, but hey

1. lower deflectors, good for cold, great for heat, let them sit for 12 hours before use & trust the 3M tape. Good Luck on the wait. Look around on eBay. Already figured out my feet and calves miss the water cooled VTX, but the rest of my body and brain say "So what?".

2. Don't trust your kickstand, check it twice. No switch or positive down position, but it is designed to retract if you touch it down wAddhile in motion
Agreed, the VTX had the switch, so good tip and previously unknown missing feature from the Vision.
3. Trust your tip over (TO) points, IF YOU HAVE THEM, use them, instead of a foot or ankle to catch a falling vision. GET your feet up quick when you move from a stop, TOs run on ankle blood. My VTX tipped the scales at 805# dry, so the Vision is not much more. However, the vertical CG is much lower on the Vision. That Big X was a beast to tame in a parking lot. One of the first things I noticed in some parking lot drill was how nimble and maneuverable this thing is compared to the X. But yes, I never "let" the bike hurt me.

4. Place a foot on your floorboard and jiggle the bike while gassing up, and take your time. It takes a bit to fill both tanks.
Already read some posts where folks knock holes in the neck to allow faster fill/purge when fueling. Not me. If I'm in that big of a hurry I should have left sooner.
5. Replace your horn or get loud pipes, this thing is fast and nimble, but cagers attack it for no reason. Jealous or hypnotized, who knows, but they steer right toward you. A universal principle in the never ending conflict between bikes and cars. Will do some research and figure out best options. However, as an airline mechanic for 3 decades, I am becoming noise averse. And my riding has become more relaxed in pace, more vigilant in recognizing dangers.

6. Don't ever take off the trunk unless you are OK storing it forever. Rides almost like a different bike without it.
But, but, but, Victory markets the "Tourrer-to-Bagger" feature. Yes, I already researched the process and discovered removing the license plate as step 1 reduces Tour Pack damage.

7. Stay off your front brakes below 5 mph, and pay attention in parking lots. The fuel tanks are forward and low: great for the twisties, but takes some getting used to. No twisties under the belt yet, but had a vacant parking lot I played in over the weekend for slow speed maneuvers....this is a piece of cake compared to the VTX1800 where it feels like the big motor is mounted right behind the fairing.

8. If you remove the trunk or drop test the TOs you are honor bound to tell us. It makes those of us who have tested them more than once feel better ( so I hear). I PROMISE.

9. If you take any of the above advice and it turns out badly, blame yourself, I am not to be trusted. Previous career in politics?

10. Make sure you lube any mechanical control points routinely, but do not oil cables, it tears up the interior Teflon. Got it!

11. Once you have leaned that thing as far as you think is safe in a sweeper, keep going if you haven't heard the floorboards scrape. It's lean angle is just ridiculous for a 900+ lb bike Looking forward to it!

12. Practice using our Forum Search feature. It works wells, saves tons of repetition, and avoids snarky-smart-Alec answers like I sometimes offer
You mean like "Which oil is best?"

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
DUDE!
Ya will LOVE it!
Man, I 'member the day I picked mine up... yours looks just like mine 'cept for: different wind screen
(turned up n' tinted), trunk rack, lowers, extra mirrors, RAM accessories, sheep skin seat cover, LED rear lights, and extended shifter pegs.

Never mind the stuff underneath like: PC-V, speakers, amp., or filters.
Man, I just LOVE dressin' a bike!

Oh yah, welcome to the owners club!
Did I say ya will LOVE it?
Well, ya will LOVE it!

Reactions: quack4du
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.