Never before..... | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Never before.....

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by paull564, May 15, 2021.

1. paull564

paull564 New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2014 CCT
    In almost 50 yrs of driving and changing oil in cars trucks and motorcycles, for the first time in my life, I have appeared to strip my oil drain plug on my 2014 CCT. I can't believe this.
    Right now it's just spinning. Will not tighten, will not come out. Hand tightened and was attempting to put 15 ft/lbs on it and it just keeps turning.
    What type of metal is the oil pan on the 2014 CCT?
    Advice, comments, recommendation?

2. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    Helicoil, looks like a spring kinda & is what they use to fix the F150’s stripped spark plugs issue, makes it better than original. Good luck & sorry to hear.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    There's another brand called Time-Sert that is said to be the better way to go by Victory experts at The Vic Shop. A kit can be purchased for the size and thread pitch of the drain plug from places like Amazon. The technique is to ensure the hole is drilled perfectly straight and true.

Where you using a torque wrench? I believe the case is cast aluminum. This is my biggest fear with my CCT and why I'll likely start using a Mityvac oil extractor pump from now on.

Also, throw away the copper crush washers and use an aluminum crush washer. They're made to crush once and be replaced each and every time.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    One of my out of state friends just used Time-Sert to repair aluminum threads on his truck. Much stronger than a helicoil.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. paull564

paull564 New Member

2014 CCT
    Yes I was using a torque wrench as I've done evert oil change, 15 ft lbs. Good advice on the Mity Vac.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chattanooga_Mark

Nearly everyone who strips out the drain plug was using a torque wrench. That particular device should simply not be used on a drain plug as it’s simply not needed and causes many more problems than it could ever prevent.

Also, forget the copper crush washer and use aluminum ones instead.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 53canuck

53canuck Well-Known Member

2011 KP
    First, jam a screw driver in between the pan and the lip on the plug to apply some force while unscrewing it to see if it will bite and come out. It may mean some help from someone with another screw driver too. You have to get the remaining threads to bite or you'll be drilling it out.

Second - there are oversize plugs that you can use to cut some new threads. Alternatively, the time sert as mentioned above.

Thirdly, lots of people strip out the threads on oil pans. We mostly hear about it because it's one of the few things lots of people feel confident doing. The pans are thin, usually a cast soft metal and the mistake is going too tight. Your 15 lbs of torque is too high even though that is the spec but not many know why including some mechanics. Torque specs are Engineering figures based on mathematical characteristics of the metals and thread. They are also dry specs. Adding lubrication alters the specs and after draining the oil your threads would be wet. If you take a look at any lubricated torque chart you'll see the difference. Any coating effects the torque with some of the more advanced lubricants going 60% or more. Doesn't matter if it's oil, grease, wax or thread sealer. Since I was a kid my dad taught me that if it's got 30 weight oil on it reduce the torque by 30%. Might not be really accurate but it was easy to remember. Your 15 pound/feet should really have been closer to 10. Check it out for yourself.

lubricated bolt torque chart - Google Search

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Bikesofbrads

^^^^ A forked screwdriver works very well helping unthread bolts. Depending how bad it is you’ll hafta decide if lil bigger plug will work or if need a time Sert. I concur with the Time - Sert, I hadn’t heard of that product but after a quick lookup it’s by far an improvement on the helicoil. The time Sert is a much more permanent solution, is secured inside the hole and shouldn’t back out when removing the oil plug next time, remember if you make grunting sounds when reinserting a oil drain plug…..it’s too tight, unless ur doin the Tim Allen “Tool Time” grunt just for fun

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. paull564

paull564 New Member

2014 CCT
    I had planned on doing your first step today. Good advice on the torque. Thanks!

10. T0ng5

T0ng5 Member

2012 Crossroads
    Happened to me last weekend. I went with a helicoil and it worked great, no leakes. I'll probably use a vacuum pump from this point forward.

EDIT: If it makes a difference, I had never done a helicoil before, it wasn't hard.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bikesofbrads

After lil more reading of the two ( helicoil vs time sert ) it appears the helicoil is great for bolts that aren’t often removed & the time sert is designed for bolts that are removed more often. I haven’t had to use either (knocking on wood) but is nice having a second option. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Lot of good points there.
    People often forget oil plug holding back 5 lb of oil. Doesn't need crazy torque. Snug and done, check for leak, leave it alone.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Chattanooga_Mark

I’ve been wanting to do this for a while, this thread prompted me to action. I just ordered the Mityvac 7201 from Amazon. Under $100 delivered, well worth the peace of mind.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Bikesofbrads

Wish I’d thought of using a vacuum pump, I’ve been sucking it up thru a straw like a milkshake for yrs & the taste can be awful. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 11
  15. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    I started using a vac a few years ago. It’s nice not having to worry about stripping a drain plug, but most beneficial imo, it’s just easier this way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1