VOG Forum banner

Ness "Big Sucker" vs. S&S

9990 22
has anybody tried the Ness "Big Sucker" air cleaner kit? I was wondering if anybody had a comparison to theS&S kit with HP and Torque gains. The Ness is about half the price as far as I can tell. I have a 2008 Vegas 8 Ball with slash pipes, chrome on the S&S really doesn't matter to me, actually I prefer not to have it care more about the performance.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23,468 Posts

The Ness box is a 1999 Victory airbox (plastic) with a better filter on it.No download is included so you'll need a fuel controller too... There goes the cost savings.
The S&S box comes with a downloadto recalibrate the fuel injection and it's a billet piece that looks like it might even be worth $300. The S&S makes more horsepower than the Ness from what I've seen.
You get what you pay for...

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Now Im confused!!!

What is the sense putting more air ability if the little valves can't handle the intake ??
There seems to be a real difference of opinion on this . Now Im not a wrench head but I sure do listen to those with those skills !
I respect good info and I love to have the juice but I do not ,like others want to dump good money into a dead horse!
Is it not more important to improve the flow in to the cylinders .
I have talked to some real good wrench heads here in alta and there impresion of the Down tuned modern vic 08 and on is improve the intake and compression . The air box will only be a very mild ajustment untill that is done and it can do something with the air well not much improves.
Porting and balanceing intakes seems to be the real answer according to them at rolling Thunder in Red Deer.

And to be very honest why the hell is Vic selling there there sweep pipes if there no dame good for nothing as has been pointed out here on this sight.
Have they no integrity? Are the Ness sweeps any better?
Ya I am gettig pissed at the bs given to me by Vic before I bought . I know buyer beware . but why the hell can't they at least be a bit honest. I really did think they where a good bike but if there bs is this consistant then why are we riding these things? I am getting pissed and why arnt some of you guys !!! poptop
Just a rambling old man with an attitude !

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Vic swepts look good that its. Probably the worst performance pipes in the line-up. Ness intake is cheaper but as said above you need a processor. Cheaper in the long run to go with the S&S. S&S map is by far the best one I have seen for the Vegas.

·
Registered
23,468 Posts

poptop said:
What is the sense putting more air ability if the little valves can't handle the intake ??
The stock valves will take you beyond 130 horsepower... Your "wrench head" friends don't understand that the Victory is an efficient 4-valve-per-cylinder modern engine. You can get a better airbox and pipes, tune it right, and be well over 90 HP easily. The same mods to a Harley will put you at 76 HP...
poptop said:
There seems to be a real difference of opinion on this.
Where?
I don't think anyone from Victory was intentionally dishonest with you, I think they simply didn't know. There is a big difference between lying and just being uninformed. As far as pipes go, MOST people just want a cool look and more sound. If the bike made more power they wouldn't use it... or couldn't handle it. The Victory exhaust systems are made to look cool and sound cool because that's all most folks are looking for. The guy looking for REAL performance would never go with a dealer installed performance package because he wouldknow that.
How many representatives of Victory did you talk to? The guys at one or two dealers? How much actual research did you do?
If you had researched the subject, and knew then what you know now, you would have probably done things differently. Join the club. I wish I had done more research because I would have MOST CERTAINLY done things differently too. We live, we learn. Anger isn't going to fix it.
Any problem can be remedied if you throw enough money at it. LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes it is an 08' thanks for the answers, when I bought the bike it had the Vic sweeps on it other wise from research I wouldn't have put those pipes on it, however they do "look" cool. Times are tuff and I'm trying to just get a little more HP without breaking the bank or any factory engine seals. As mentioned before I saw the Ness for half the price, but now thanks to the forum I understand I would needfuel management also. I prefer the Vic to the Harley, but unfortunatley it seems as though all the parts and accessories are more $$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I've gained a healty respect for this half crazy guy . I wish to hell I had known of this sight earlier. I am just learning about the Vic I bought and just as correctly I am blameing others . (not good) Your striaght open info is a blessing in a world full of poop.
I should have checked more but im old and slow but I do like to go fast.
I will slowly ditch my useless pretty sweep pipes and will I be looking for a better intake , Now I just need to know which ones .
What about these Tourqe Tubes that have been spoken off.
I just trusted the wrong info thats the bottem line!

I will mention this sight to the dealer I have choosen

poptop

·
Registered
23,468 Posts

Thanx for the kind words.
The Torque Tubes are not for everyone... Almost a race-piece and only forpre-2008 bikes so far.
2nd item down....
http://www.lloydz.com/default.asp
I feel your pain, I'm on my 2nd set of pipes and maybe will be getting a 3rd set, I'm on my 2nd airbox, and my 2nd fuel controllertoo.
I sold my old pipes andS&S airbox,and Lloyd bought back the VFC II when he put the Power Commander on.Every little bit helps.
I think you and I are a lot alike in ways. I'm old and I like fast... I tend to go off half-cocked...it seems like it never ends (just ask my wife! who thinks I have lost my mind).
Now my bike has a crazy intermittent electrical issuethat instantly kills the battery, so I'm chasing that down.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Half_Crazy said:
I think you and I are a lot alike in ways. I'm old and I like fast... I tend to go off half-cocked...it seems like it never ends (just ask my wife! who thinks I have lost my mind).
Now my bike has a crazy intermittent electrical issuethat instantly kills the battery, so I'm chasing that down.
Reading this,
I'm getting all choked up and my eyes are starting to water.

·
Registered
23,468 Posts
OneThumb said:
Half_Crazy said:
Reading this,
I'm getting all choked up and my eyes are starting to water.
Yes, those intermittent electrical issues always make me cry...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am having the Ness Big Sucker installed today. My dealer is swapping it out for my stock air filter during my 2500 mile service. Dealer is charging me $400 for parts and labor for the Ness set up, which is pretty good for the work involved. I asked if the Ness requires an EFI map and the dealer said no. I was also assured that a power commander was not necessary. The delear performs this mod often and offers it on many of their new Vics. I have the Vic Swept pipes (heat shileds removed and exhaust wrapped). I will report back on the performance... I pick it up today!

I like the S&S, but performance is very comparable and you can't even see the chrome S&S box under the tank. The looks benefit on both is the open frame look and opening up the chrome engine head.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Half_Crazy said:
gfoulke said:
I asked if the Ness requires an EFI map and the dealer said no.
Which begs the question: If there are no changes required to the fuel mapping, how much peformance gain can one realistically expect for his $400?
Well if you're adding more air but no more fuel my guess is no more performance and a possible very lean running engine.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Half_Crazy said:
gfoulke said:
I asked if the Ness requires an EFI map and the dealer said no.
Which begs the question: If there are no changes required to the fuel mapping, how much peformance gain can one realistically expect for his $400?
You got it HC. I have pulled these bikes without remapping, and the remapped bike ALWAYS makes more power, and has improved drivability. Just because a dealer does not know what they are doing.....does not make it right.
For your electrical bug. I am going to assume you have checked the battery terminals, and that you replaced the main breaker for good measure. If so then you need to look at the branch of the main harness along the right frame rail; where it splits, and goes to the ignition switch. I have had a couple bikes with aftermarket box's that broke the wire internally there

·
Registered
23,468 Posts

Thanx, Kevin... My electrical glitch is all taken care of now.
As you know well, an engine is an air pump. We try really hard to make it pump more air with free-flowing pipes and airboxes, but without the fuel to go with it it will just be lean as hell. Victorys like fuel. You can't run these things lean or they won't make jack for power. Ifwe lean my bike down even a little it loses 4 HP.
My friend: "Your bike blows a puff of black smoke when you romp on it".
Me: "I'm surprised you were close enough to see that."
LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.