VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need your help folks.

I am chasing down a squeak/groan in the suspension of my 2010 cross Roads. I have done everything I can and it has come down to either the shock top spherical bearing or the shock itself.

I have the shock out and according to the shop manual I should be able to compress the shock and it should then return to it's normal length smoothly. I have removed the schrader valve from the air fitting so no air pressure in the shock.

I placed the bottom of the shock on the floor and I put all my weight on the shock but I am unable to compress the shock at all. I weigh 210 lbs. so I thought that should do the job. Should I be able to compress the shock or am I doing something wrong?

Your help will be appreciated.

Now I am going to start shopping for a used shock.

UPDATE: I just took an 8' 2X4 and stuck the end of it under a loaded trailer, put the shock under the 2X4 about 12" from the trailer and I was able to compress the shock. I did feel some drag in the movement of the shock. I don't know if that is normal????

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I haven't ever taken my rear shock off but I do know they are air over hydraulic. You still have oil in the shock and when compressing it you are forcing the oil thru very small orifices. That's why it is hard to push on it.
Have no idea if it's supposed to be that hard though.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
When it's in the bike, it has to support you and the bike. You're pushing against a coil spring, so it won't be easy
Coil Spring ????

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I didn't realize there was a coil spring inside the shock.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's probably the pin at the top of the shock. Number 4 in this picture.
View attachment 473833

Sometimes they wear funny or get dry and need grease. Some folks even put a zirk fitting to more easily grease it.
I took care of all that last year. Everything was in excellent condition but I did the complete service including the zirk fitting.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Have the same issue. Put louder pipes on it and ride the crap outta it! It is rather annoying when you climb on the bike when its not running. I was actually thinking about upgrading the rear shock and found this Baggers Archives - Platinum Air Suspension Pricy upgrade though. That bleed feed system gives me urges. Wonder how much faster it would be if I got one??

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I took care of all that last year. Everything was in excellent condition but I did the complete service including the zirk fitting.
Oh okay. Have thought about a Penske shock? I absolutely love mine and the best thing is I don't have to think about what air pressure my shock is at.

After the second stock air shock went bad I said enough. The air shock system mastrblastr talked about was another good option. I liked the idea of being able to change shock pressure on the fly.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I need your help folks.

I am chasing down a squeak/groan in the suspension of my 2010 cross Roads. I have done everything I can and it has come down to either the shock top spherical bearing or the shock itself.

I have the shock out and according to the shop manual I should be able to compress the shock and it should then return to it's normal length smoothly. I have removed the schrader valve from the air fitting so no air pressure in the shock.

I placed the bottom of the shock on the floor and I put all my weight on the shock but I am unable to compress the shock at all. I weigh 210 lbs. so I thought that should do the job. Should I be able to compress the shock or am I doing something wrong?

Your help will be appreciated.

Now I am going to start shopping for a used shock.

UPDATE: I just took an 8' 2X4 and stuck the end of it under a loaded trailer, put the shock under the 2X4 about 12" from the trailer and I was able to compress the shock. I did feel some drag in the movement of the shock. I don't know if that is normal????
Well folks, Sunday I received my replacement used rear shock. I wanted to do my 2X4 and trailer test to see how the compression compared to my old shock. First I removed the schrader valved from the air hose and that is when things went very wrong. The shock was laying on the carport floor with the hose side down after just having been removed from the shipping box. It turned out that the shock still had a good amount of air pressure in it and oil came shooting out of the end of the air hose. I quickly set the shock in an upright position and the oil turned to sputtering and then just air. What a dunce. I guess I lost about 3OZ. of the oil from the shock. I just assumed the air had been let out like my old shock. Wrong.

Now, I was thinking, how the heck am I going to get some oil back into that shock. I was going to ask you folks if anyone had done this task. Finely, it hit me, I will use my Dyna Beads tubing and a funnel to get some oil back in the shock. I have a bottle of 5W fork oil that I can use. I will set the shock upright and slide the tubing over the schrader valve fitting (without the schrader valve installed), install a small funnel into the other end of the tubing and slowly pour the oil into the funnel. It will be a slow and messy process but I think it will work. We will see tomorrow.

Sunday, I replaced or sealed up some split rubber hose fittings at the throttle body, with hi temp black silicone seal and I installed a new air filter.

Oh, by the way, I did the compression test and the amount of force was the same as my old shock but I think is was a little smoother moving up and down. It does take a lot of force to compress these shocks.

I will clean and grease the spherical bearing at the top of the replacement shock before installing it.

Yesterday, I was able to get about 2os. of oil into the shock and then it said enough. I may have over estimated the amount of oil I lost the day before.

It was quite a workout using the 2X4 and trailer to pump that shock 10 times but I got it done.

The spherical bearing at to top of the shock was in excellent condition but dry and a little stiff. I greased it up and rotated the bearing all around to get the grease worked in.

After installing the replacement shock and pumping the rocker fill of grease,I put everything back together including installing the saddle bags and seat. I lowered the bike from the jack. put air in the shock and sat on the bike. I jumped up and down on it------- No noise at all. It seemed strange after having that noise for so long. It was a wonderful feeling.

I will ride the bike tomorrow with my bike club, to a funeral for one of our members who died from a 9/11 related cancer, for a final road test.

I was reading the shop manual for the shock and came upon this nugget of knowledge.
Attached Thumbnails
View attachment 477657

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Glad you got it. I hate those little surprises like you had!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good Afternoon.
I have a question in reference to the CCT rear shock. When I tried to put some air pressure into it, I can hear the air escaping from the shock obsorber. No pressure reading 0.
Also my rear tire has a inch and half wear down the middle, where the inside of the fender is rubbing it. I ride 2up and fully loaded. Is it normal to bottom up at 0 pressure on the shock?

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Also my rear tire has a inch and half wear down the middle, where the inside of the fender is rubbing it. I ride 2up and fully loaded. Is it normal to bottom up at 0 pressure on the shock?
Yes. Time to replace it with another stock air shock, aftermarket air shock, or Penske coil over shock. I went with the Penske after losing two stockers.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So for the guys running the Penske, does it do well when going back and forth from solo and no trunk to 2up with trunk? Do you really have to reach under the bike and adjust the pre-load every time or can they set it up middle of the road?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.