VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 1200 miles from home. I am riding across New Mexico and Arizona. The bike is running fine until it gets hot. When it gets hot starts choking and my mileage drops to 23 MPG. This is a 2014 Cross Country tour.

Any ideas where to start. Battery cables are tight.

Thanks Everyone.

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
When the bike gets hot, or when it gets hot outside?

Is the bike losing power when it starts acting up?

Oil level good?

·
Registered
4,463 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
If something is choking, is it breathing properly.... air filter need cleaning?
Spark plugs torqued properly... may seem tight when engine is cold but after engine heats up may loosen up enough to
lose a little compression?
Air - fuel - spark - 3 main areas to start checking

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Contrary to what many people believe, vapour lock is still a possibility with fuel injection. If that is what your problem is you need to cool it off a bit. Air deflectors blocking cooler air, bad routing of even a portion of the fuel line, anything that allows the fuel to heat up to the point there are air bubbles in the line will do that. Also, fuel is the only thing that keeps your fuel pump cool. When the road is really hot don't let the fuel get too low on any vehicle. Keep it topped up because a hard working fuel pump will transfer more heat to the gas compounding any possible vapour lock problem.

As already mentioned, your regulator also hates the heat and could be dropping the voltage.

My 2¢

Reactions: wickman

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1) its more when it gets hot outside. Ran 200 miles this morning when it got up to 90 Degrees is when it started it again
2) oil level is good. Changed it before I left and it was perfect. Guess I will check that again..
3) voltage gauge is reading about 14 1/2 V. Installed new battery before i left.
4)I will check the plugs.
5) I guess it isn't really choking just kid of hesitates and then goes back to normal. I am running about 75-80. It keeps on going just using a ton of gas

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks brother. In Winslow AZ and heading to Flagstaff in the morning. I will just check everything I can in the parking lot. All else fails I will have my title sent to me and trade it in on a bike i can ride home

• Haha
Reactions: VicVisionBulldog

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
How many miles do you have on the bike?
Might be a fuel filter starting to get clogged.
The PCV's are damn reliable, but that is a possibility I suppose.
Plugs, plug wires, and coil would be next. I've seen car coils act up once hot.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.