Need help with 2017 Highball check engine codes. | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Need help with 2017 Highball check engine codes.

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by Nukemeanie, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Nukemeanie

Nukemeanie New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2014 Cross Country (sold). 2017 HighBall
    Just got back to owning a Victory! Beautiful nuclear orange 17 Highball. The previous owner had installed Freedom Performance curved radius pipes, loud but great looking. I bought it from a HD dealer who said his techs had to install a PCV because it was running poorly. I have confirmed that the PCV is the correct one from Dynojet. I also noted that the stock O2 sensors are still plugged in and do not appear to be bypassed. Bike runs OK but I am getting check engine lights after it is ridden for a little while. According to other posts they are the codes that indicate a problem with the O2 sensors. Any ideas? The O2 sensors should still be feeding back that they are in place. If the PCV was supposed to override this then why is it not correcting the ECU error? The installation instructions for this model of PCV say nothing about the need to do anything with the O2 sensor signal.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Nukemeanie

Nukemeanie New Member

Forgot to mention. Error code is 0 520 209 3.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    Did they dyno tune it after the PCV install or just a “stock map”? If it’s not properly tuned, I’d highly suggest getting that done by a reputable shop. Looks like you are about 3 hours from The Vic Shop in Iowa. Rylan is THE MAN for anything Victory.

re: the O2, I believe they should be unplugged but for the ‘17, you need a special eliminator plug for that style otherwise it will throw a check engine code. Maybe they are in fact unplugged and they didn’t use the special optimizer plug?

Oxygen sensor's

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nukemeanie

Nukemeanie New Member

Yes, I have read up on that issue. They are definitely plugged in and still throwing a code. An optimizer plug should not do anything that the plugged in sensors aren't already doing. I think??
    Yes I'm going to look at the map on the tuner, I just haven't had time yet. Always grateful for help from the pro's and might take it to one next summer if needed

• Like Like x 1
  5. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    im thinking it could be throwing the code because of the PCV and the O2s still being hooked up. Typically you unplug the O2 when a power commander is installed. So in that case, you should unplug them and use the optimizers. That setup “should not” cause a check engine light.

that being said, I am not a mechanic and there could be other issues that are causing the light.

heres another thread that may help...

Disconnect O2 sensors on a 2016 Highball?

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. NOEMTZ

NOEMTZ Well-Known Member

Disconnect O2 sensors, I know they will throw a code. But PCV never works with sensors plugged in unless you are running the Autotune in conjunction.

plug in a set of optimizers to eliminate pesky check engine light.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. PreachSF

PreachSF Well-Known Member

Bullitt (07 Hammer S w/ Jackpot front end)
    pre 2016s and 2017s you could just unplug the O2's and be fine

those 2 years had a different O2 setup and at first, you needed specific year O2 block offs. Dynojet USED to include them with all the tuners. A year or more ago, they stopped including them. I acutally called their tech line and said .. hey, whats the deal .. we need those block offs or our bikes are going to throw codes.

What they told me was that you know leave the stock O2's hooked up as they have done something in the software of the PC5 ... so they fact they are plugged in isnt wrong.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    If that’s the case, maybe the OP just needs a firmware update on the PCV?
    Power Commander V (PCV) | Downloads | Dynojet

• Useful Useful x 1