VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
l, let me give my first impression of the Vision. The Vision is a great bike, it handles better then an Ultra but it really does lack the smoothness of a Goldwing. The highway style of the Goldwing is hands down the best riding experience I have ever had., the Goldwing's problem has always been in-town With that said, I pulled off the trunk this weekend and went out for one of my short treks, a 320 mile trip around my neighborhood...

I will say, I was already very impressed by the Visions in-town ability, but it stepped up a notch without the trunk on. I felt like I was on a completely different bike, it was like I was back on a sport cruiser (similar to a 109) heading through the twisties. The Vision went down through the turns until I pushed it to the tipovers, yes, those really helpful things until your see boobs, but that is for another story...

I am not sure if removing those twenty or so pounds changes the center of gravity that much, but the removal makes you feel much more aggressive and in control. The control is so freaking unbelievable it is beyond belief.

I will say for a 900 pound bike, this is the most nimble cruiser (well touring) I have ever been on. For those who stand behind the Ultra and the Goldwing, take the Vision for a spin without the trunk. Yes the Goldwing might be better on the highway with the trunk on, but really fails when the Vision's trunk is off and lets face it, how often do you need a pizza box?

One other thing, the heat I had mention during my first review of the Vision was almost gone when I had the trunk off. By far a very pleasurable ride and experience...

Don

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Yo Don,
This past Sunday was the Toys for Tots parade here in Honolulu. I took the wife with me and rode the entire day two up. While my wife had a blast,I felt as if I was working out the entire day with herin the saddle. Although I've never had any seat time in the Vision, just knowing that I'll have better control of the bike(tip over feature, lower seat), will take half the work out of keeping her upright.
My initial thoughts and plansare to keep the Ultra in the barn and purchase the Vision as a second bike. After Sundays ride, I'm feeling that Vision ownership is a much more logical choice. Meantime, she stays with me until the day I get my hands on a Vision. Thanks for the review. You've helped me solidify my decision.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Don a while back i was trying to tell you that you should get a Vision. I knew with the miles you put on a bike, you would not be disappointed. And with the trunk off it for sure is a different bike. 2 bikes in one. Thats what i like the best about it. Im glad you like it. Too bad there isnt a video on this review !

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Clubford00 said:
Don a while back i was trying to tell you that you should get a Vision. I knew with the miles you put on a bike, you would not be disappointed. And with the trunk off it for sure is a different bike. 2 bikes in one. Thats what i like the best about it. Im glad you like it. Too bad there isnt a video on this review !
I'm just hard headed!!! lol... At that time I just wasn't ready to drop $20K+ on an "old mans" bike, that I really thought was to big to enjoy. Times change and every once in awhile my opinion does also. Well, that and the pricing dropping significantly with the rebates and incentives, coupled together with the doubts I had last year of Victory still being in business. But like I said last summer, if they were going to shut down it would be at the dealer meeting. Since that didn't happen I feel more comfortable buying another Vic.
It definetely is a different bike without the trunk, although it doesn't get as many comments with the trunk off.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hard headed indeed- you had to feel it for yourself. You couldn't justbelieve the hundreds of posts on the site, and had to drop big coin, eh?? Well, welcome to geezer glide territory!!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I think part of the reason it doesnt get as many comments with the trunk off is that from across the parking lot with the trunk ON they can see this "Billboard" rising up and they come over to see what the hell it is !

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Clubford00 said:
I think part of the reason it doesnt get as many comments with the trunk off is that from across the parking lot with the trunk ON they can see this "Billboard" rising up and they come over to see what the hell it is !
It definetely does look a ton smaller sitting in my garage without the trunk on.

·
Registered
28 Posts

My assessment of the Vision compared to the Gold Wing is a little different from Don's. I have put 41,000 miles on my Vision now in 20 months and 45 years of riding it is by far the best bike I have every ridden. Here is how I think it compares to the Gold Wing which I have also logged many miles on.
The Gold Wing is a smooth and powerful touring bike that offers the lots of storage. This bike is very reliable and handles very well and offers some really nice features like keyless locking of storage areas and an airbag option. But how does it compare to the Vision?
1.The seating and foot position is very limited placing your feet mostly straight down with no other position unless you put highway pegs on it and then you have to spread your legs so far apart you thing you are giving birth to a cow and your feet and legs are out in the elements with no wind or weather protection. The Vision provides the widest range of foot positions of any touring bike on the market as the lowest seat height. Also the Vision provides the best wind and weather protection for your legs.
2.While the power plant on the Gold Wing is smooth and powerful it is high revving and high rpm engines even if they are smooth create harmonics that cause fatigue and wear you out over time. This is why low rpm power plants are preferred for touring vehicles whether car or motorcycle. This is also why the number one request by current Gold Wing owners is a 6 speed transmission so they can get lower rpm's at highway speeds.
The Vision with its lower center of gravity, better weight distribution, balance, superior frame technology and suspension will out handle the Gold Wing as well. There are several Gold Wing owners who have purchased the Vision who had the Traxxion $4,700 aftermarket Gold Wing suspension upgrade say the Vision still handles better in all riding conditions.
The Gold Wing stock has a little more power but the Vision with Lloyd's cam kit, fuel controller and air kit will give the Vision a commanding advantage. It is easier to enhance the performance of the Vision than the Gold Wing.
5.Maintenance on the Gold Wing is much harder and more costly. Just try to change the air filter on the Gold Wing. You have to remove a great deal of body molding and spend about 2 hours of labor. Then you have the value adjustments that need to be done.
6.The Vision has several must have features in my opinion such as power windshield, tip over protectors, iPod integration and the ability to remove the rear trunk for those times you want to have more of a cruiser.
The integrated GPS on the Gold Wing is nice but has several limitations that cause many Gold Wing owners to purchase and install aftermarket GPS units to get the features they need. The built in GPA on the Gold Wing will not capture tracks and allow you to download them so you can turn them into routes. You can't use many features while the bike in moving and creating routes on your PC and uploading them to the unit is difficult and limited.
The wind and weather protection on the Vision is much better than the Gold Wing or any other bike for that matter.
Curb appeal on the Vision is better than the Gold Wing. Just ride your vision with a bunch of Gold Wings and see what bike gets all the attention everywhere you go.
I think the Gold Wing is the strongest competitor to the Vision. It is highly speculated that Honda will introduce an all new Gold Wing for 2011 with a new power plant and frame and I hope they demonstrate a lot of innovation when they do. I will be anxious to see and ride one when they come out.
I was going to buy a Gold Wing but when I heard about the Vision coming out I decided to wait till I could test ride one and once I did it was an easy decision to buy the Vision.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

Craig, great write up thanks. 2k a month, thats some riding!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.