My Pipes are just too loud..gonna go quiet.. | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

My Pipes are just too loud..gonna go quiet..

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Biggy Burger, Dec 20, 2019.

1. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Cross Country
    Huh. Who is this......... ok so get some quiet ones. Uh ..... happy holidays.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. topcat

topcat Well-Known Member

2011 Kingpin
    I like that :smile:

3. Blackened

Blackened Well-Known Member

2002 VFR, 2013 Vegas 8-ball, 2018 Indian Scout Bobber
    I've got stage 1 X-bow pipes (They came with the bike) and they are plenty loud for me. I thought they were perfect and then I got my VFR. The VFR has stock mufflers and as much as it pains me to admit it is far more pleasant to ride. It's not as comfortable as the Vegas, but its so much easier on the ears and yeah, the neighbors definitely appreciate it at 6:30 AM.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Barry_Barker

Barry_Barker Active Member

2012 Victory XR
    Stock mufflers on my bike, wouldn't have it any other way. Stock mufflers with cams are not quiet, IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    I have seen a cammed XC bike on the Dyno with stock mufflers. He had all the Lloydz stuff. Filter, timing wheel, PC5, and VM1DR cams that I had. I was impressed at the numbers.
    Somewhere around 110/112. D&D slip-ons or another comparable performance muffler would have given him a few more.

When out of the Dyno box he asked to hear a few bikes out on the grass. We were at Daytona / KMC ........Kyle brought him out and started a few bikes that were done. We fired mine up also. This owner was thinking he wanted a set of mufflers and even though he liked most he was happy being quiet and now powerful. I couldn’t agree more and had I of known about @crosscountryla back them and the savings this guy could have taken advantage of I think he would have gone that route.
    None the less I was still impressed with the Victory stock exhaust performance.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Blackened

Blackened Well-Known Member

2002 VFR, 2013 Vegas 8-ball, 2018 Indian Scout Bobber
    I have a 2013 Mustang GT with 420 HP (Yes, that's at the crank) and my buddy is always telling me I need to get an exhaust on it. So I do my research and come back with a single question... "Why"?

He starts spouting off about horsepower gains and such. I say if I just swap the exhaust and nothing else, what do I gain?

"Well, It's louder and it sounds mean." and starts telling me all about the other stuff I'd need to buy to start making gains.

Yeah... Thanks but no thanks. loud for the sake of being loud is dumb and I've got more than enough HP to get me in plenty of trouble (Ask me about getting pulled over for 120+!!) without any additional gains.

Guess I'm just old at this point.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Me too. Like my mild modified exhaust on my SRT Challenger. It’s a Magnaflow but it is not loud. It is perfect. Did it increase HP ? Maybe. I wasn’t looking for that. It has plenty. The perfect sound is what I’ve always been after.

• Like Like x 1
  8. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Pre fuel injection days you could get an increase just by opening up the exhaust, and making an adjustment on the carburetor to adjust the air/fuel ratio. Computer controlled fuel injection starts us out with more power and efficiency from stock, but requires much more time consuming and expensive reprogramming to get those adjustments to the air-fuel ratio.

Things just kinda flip flopped over the years. It used to be we wanted faster, and the louder just came with it. Now it seems we want a very specific sound, and whatever comes with it is the byproduct.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Barry_Barker

Barry_Barker Active Member

2012 Victory XR
    Here's a video I did a few years ago sorta advertising a new baffle design for one of the premier Vmax exhaust builders. I use my Victory as a base line. There were a few Vmax guys that wanted a quiet bike, not many. LOL
    Kinda fun!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Discotex

Discotex New Member

2009 Vegas 8 ball
    Let me throw in my 2 cents worth. If they don't see you they need to hear you. Between the cell phones, inattention, and stereo you need to get noticed.

11. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Yes and auxiliary lighting as well as strobe tail lighting is very effective at getting the attention of those complacent lazy inattentive and distracted drivers. My biggest fear is getting rear ended at a stop light on my bike. My bigger fear than that is if my wife’s on the back. When a car approaches behind I continuously activate my brake lights and 95% of the time they stop atleast a car length behind me. Best money ever spent on my bike. Less than $100.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2012 Crossroads LE, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    +1