VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my wife planned a trip from Colorado to South Dakota. As we were cruising along through rural Wyoming the bike just literally died. I was going steady around 75mph when bike suddenly sputtered for a split second and then all the electronics went dead. I pressed the clutch and tried to jump start it a couple of times while coasting but it would only get engine compression breaking. I pulled over and started some basic troubleshooting. Speedo and tach froze in position when it happened. My two-month-old lithium battery seemed to be dead. I tried to reset it through pigtail button but it didn’t help. I didn’t have a multi-meter with me to confirm it but I tried to plug my mini air compressor without a luck.

My understanding is that bike should be able to continue to run even without battery. Could main fuse be a suspect? Is it possible that main computer would shut itself down as protection? Has anybody experienced anything similar to this?

Of course, it happened in the middle of nowhere without any phone reception. We were fortunate when the local farmer towed us to the nearest town.

I had plenty of gas, fresh oil change, and absolutely no electrical or actually any previous issues with this bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Quality of batteries, including Yuasa, Interstate and O'reilly's house brand is suffering. Don't know about the lithium ion batteries.
In the last two years have had 3 batteries crap out shorting internally all were less than 6wks. old.
Load test battery and check the main circuit breaker.
I really hate electrical problems.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I liked Yuasa batteries and I had a good luck with a them in my other bikes. Unfortunately, Yuasa replacement battery only lasted 10 months in Victory. (OEM Yuasa was great!) Their quality seems to go downhill. That's why I switched to lithium.
My Yuasa battery died exactly 10 months in and I use a trickle charger. My O'Reilly battery, car and bikes, seem to last. I think there's only 3 makers of batteries, just labeled for whoever.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If power is suddenly cut completely the electronic gauges would be stuck. Restore power and they will move again.

Not familiar with lithium batteries but failure while in use might be a thing.

Reactions: Mike 4

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
You need to start at the basics rather than have people guess from a few hundred miles away. Buy a cheap meter and get the usual voltage readings, fuses, switches.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had to call it… There were very limited resources in this small rural town and I had to make the safest decision for my family. I found the hard way that roadside assistance is a joke but most importantly we actually found who our REAL friends are... The closest Victory dealer was in Rapid City SD or Fort Collins CO. Considered we were still in WY, our son picked us up and we towed U-Haul and dropped bike in FC for diagnostic on the way home. I feel defeated and embarrassed but also fortunate no one got hurt and also fortunate for my family, friends, and good Samaritans that rescued us.

I learned a lot during this trip. It taught me to be humble, respectful and thankful for all the help we received. I’ll definitely pay it forward when I meet a stranded motorist.

·
Registered
230 Posts
we actually found who our REAL friends are...
No doubt man, it's crazy how so many talk the talk, but can't walk the walk. "Oh call if you ever need anything", and then when you call 5 different people all they have for you is excuses.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bike but as you said I'm glad everyone is fine and that's the most important part.

First, I am not the sharpest tool in the shed and a weekend wrench at best. A couple years ago I needed a new battery and after doing some reading up on lithium batteries and decided to give it a go with a FirePower. So far so good, no issues.

But what I recall reading, and I believe it was @iabob that commented, was about parasitic draw and lithium batteries do not like each other. If you have a draw on an old fashion battery and voltage drops you can throw it on a tender and most likely all is good. On a lithium however, once you drop below a certain point your battery is a brick.

Before I installed my battery I made sure I had nothing that would cause a draw (as best as this knucklehead could do). Even leaving my USB charger connected to the pigtail could cause a draw over time. I remove it after every use. It could be possible something was causing a draw over time on yours.

Not sure if that helps but possibly tosses some breadcrumbs your way. Good luck and again glad everyone is okay.

Reactions: normthenomad

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
"Oh call if you ever need anything".
Well, my fence needs painting and I need to have some junk hauled to the dump. Now you'll see how true they were to their flippant offer of help.

First thought was the 40 amp breaker but it seems to be ok. Maybe? The shop might look for melted wires.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.